'No wheel clamp' policy on storage site

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Our storage site (Cassoa Gold standard) has just brought in a new 'no wheel clamp' policy following a fire on the site when they were unable to move some of the caravans out of danger. However, we get a 10% Caravan Club insurance discount for always fitting the wheel clamp and they tell us we would lose the discount if not fitted, even if stored on a Gold storage site. Has anyone else had this problem? The site tells us that if we continue to fit the wheel clamp we will have to suffer any damage caused to the caravan if it is moved with the wheel clamp on, but is it worth this risk rather than lose discount? Advice please, or does anyone know of an insurance company that will still give a discount for fitting wheel clamp only when away from storage site?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You need to establish exactly under what circumstances storage site operatives would be allowed to move your caravan.
If they are only allowed to move your caravan in the direst of emergencies such as to avoid fire or flood damage fair enough, the insurers would have to pay for any damage minus your excess.
If they are allowed to move your caravan at any time such as when they want to cut the grass or because a neighbouring caravan can't quite get in then it's no good leaving the wheel clamp on.
Would the storage site not be prepared to hold a spare key for your clamp so that they can remove it if necessary?

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Am with C&CC and if Alko wheelclamp and a hitchlock not fitted then I dont get paid out so Id rather it be burnt or damaged and paid than have it stolen and not get paid.I photo it on camera each time for proof,can't think of any other way to prove they are on.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Wendy
Have you asked the site owners to confirm in writing they will pay you the full market value or brand new replacement value ( as your own policy may do) if the caravan is stolen from their premises when the wheel clamp is off?
10% premium reduction is quite a lot to lose these days .

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Our insurance company states that the wheel clamp and hitch lock must be used at all times including when attached to the towcar if left unattended. That means that we would be failing to comply with the terms and conditions of our insurance if we didn't use the wheel clamp.

Also I don't want anyone moving my van but me, what would happen if it got damaged, who would be liable? Would the storage owners take responsibility? If I was told that I couldn't use my wheel clamp then I'm afraid I would find another storage site that didn't have the same rules.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The point is the site onwners can lay down any conditions they like, If you can't or don't want to accept their terms, then find somewhere else to store your van.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to you all out there.The Golden Rule is Don't Give The Insurance Co any excuse to leave you scratching your head and using four letter expletives.The site owner where are van is stored(a CaSSOA approved site Silver Status)lives on site.The site has an imposed maximum number of Permitted Caravans to be stored.This is set by the local council and is monitored rigorously.
The site owner insists on maximum security for your own property,proof of insurance otherwise No Storage and contact phone numbers in the event of an unexpected need to get you to the site.
Scrutinise the details of your Insurance Policy, ALL of THEM. If errors/ommisions are found have them corrected and New Confimation Documentation sent out.Oh,and go through that with a Fine Tooth Comb as well.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I always feel rather sorry for the problems that you over there on the other side of the Channel have with stolen caravans and related insurance issues. Despite my caravan not having locks of any sort I have never felt uneasy about it being parked anywhere, whether on the storage site or even out in the street.
Whenever we see caravanners arrive at a campsite over here on the Continent and the first thing they do after stetting up pitch is to fit wheelclamps, etc. one can be 100% sure that they are from the UK.

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has replied. We will continue to fit our wheel clamp whilst on the storage site - and everywhere else for that matter. If there's a fire our insurance company will pay out and at least then we're covered if it's stolen. Hopefully we won't be asked to find another storage site for our caravan as there aren't any others round here! Thanks again, Wendy

May 21, 2008
Visit site
This is quite an interesting debate.
I always thought that wheel clamps and hitch locks were a pre-requisition of insurance companies. I'm amazed here at our touring site that caravans awaiting storage collection are left with the steadies up and HITCHLOCKS OFF & NO WHEEL CLAMP PRESENT. The site managers do not fit their own locks either, to ensure that the storage yard owner makes contact prior to hitching up and buzzing off. Whats even more scary is that there is no "real" cctv and the touring park is not visable from the managers accomodation.
Any tom, dick or harry could hook up and leg it with a caravan ready to roll. I reckon it would take 2 mins max to be away with 10 grand of van and the likelyhood of being seen let alone caught is nil !!!

No wonder insurance companies have high premiums if people don't take care of their possessions.

Where this site is located there is an auction yard only a mile away where you can enter lots at the last minit and get the auction to pay by direct transfer into any bank account. It's such an easy set up to run if you are that way inclined.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Having just read wendylois' initial comment, I suspect that the site she refers to is the one where I was one of the unfortunate and 'innocent' owners who lost everything in the fire she refers to, in September 2009. In January I posted the following comment in this forum.

"Readers might be interested in the following, which was submitted to the Camping and Caravan Club magazine at the end of October. However, it was obviously not considered appropriate for publication to a wider audience.
"Recently, my wife and I had the misfortune to suffer the complete loss of our caravan, equipment and other contents as a result of a fire at our storage site. We were not alone, as approximately 18 other units were destroyed and another 20 seriously damaged. The emergency services determined that the cause of the fire was not arson, but a freak occurrence originating in another caravan stored nearby. The shock of the incident was compounded by the fact that we had only moved our unit from another storage site 2 days previously. We were insured via Club Care Insurance and can only commend them for their swift response following the loss being reported. However, I believe it should be noted that, in the opinion of the emergency services, many more units could have been saved if it were not for the fact that they were immobilised by wheel clamps, upon the insistence of the insurers, thus preventing them from being moved away from the area of the fire. The site itself is registered as a CaSSOA Gold site and the geography and sophisticated electronic security measures make it almost impossible for caravans to be stolen. Of course the caravan and its contents can eventually be replaced, at additional cost. However, it won't end there as, when I can eventually afford to purchase a replacement some time in the future, I will have to insure it and declare that I have made a previous claim. Then, through no fault of my own, I will be further penalised with higher premiums. Surely a case of "Heads You Win, Tails I Lose!"
This past week I have collected a brand new caravan and, on the basis that 'lightning does not strike twice', have secured storage on the same site as before. As wendylois states in a later post, there are not many, if any, alternative sites within this area (whether CASSOA Gold or not). I have therefore recently gone through the process of obtaining quotes and each time have raised the issue of wheelclamps on a CASSOA Gold site. The only one which would have consented to the absence of a wheel lock/clamp whilst in storage required instead the installation of additional security devices e.g. Tracker or Alarms. Because of the insured value of the van and contents (only a mid-range unit) one company even suggested an ADDITIONAL clamp on the other wheel. Consequently, although my new insurer insists on the wheel lock being fitted whilst in storage, it is at present not fitted. However, it continues to cause me some anxiety and I will, on my next visit to the site, be fitting the wheel lock. At least I am then covered and the insurer will be liable for any damage caused by having to move the van.
Incidentally, I understand that one of the theories from fire investigators as to the cause of the fire relates to the presence of a solar panel fitted to the van which was the source of the fire. Apparently, there have been previous instances (mainly in boats) where a panel has caused an overload in the battery, resulting in overheating. Again I say that this only a theory, the exact cause was never fully determined.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
It is a fascinating discussion. I don't keep my van on a storage site but I imagine that they must be parked very close together. How far apart would they have to be to prevent a fire spreading through 18 units and keep collateral damage confined to heat damage to immediatly adjacent vans? I assume that this would be the answer but it would mean significant financial loss for the operator.
My other thought is, even without clamps how many vans could be quickly and safely moved from a fire anyway. I assume such storage places have very few staff on at any one time?
Mel

May 22, 2008
Visit site
Could probably chance your arm, and move those either side of the affected one, but also some distance from the main fire, to create a fire break, but then again, the H&S police would hammer you if it goes wrong, and your employer would probably put you on a charge, so all told, moving them probably wont happen, as the speed of fire spread through a van is very rapid.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
So , what happened Wendy??
smiley-kiss.gif

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Just to pick up on one point, how far is there between vans on most storage sites? On our current site there is a good metre and a half all round, and then a wide access road to get to and from the van. However, on another small site where we used to store our van there was about eighteen inches between in any direction, and the site owner had to juggle the vans to remove one - so you always had to give notice. On our current site we have 24 hour a day monitored, cctv covered, barrier, electronic tagged, access and we can take the van in and out whenever we want.
We witnessed our neighbours caravan almost go up, when his garage was subject to an arson attack, and it was possible for my OH and two other strong men to drag the caravan sufficiently away from the source of the fire, even with the wheel clamp on! I suspect it may have scrubbed the tyre, but the van was saved.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts