Noisy pipes in the house

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Humming and vibrating noises coming from pipe work when the cold taps are run…. Been getting consistently louder and lasting longer….
Quick look on You Tube… seems I need to replace the ballcock and float valve in the tank in the loft. …. Easy… turn off water supply to tank, undo brass nut and two plastic washer, remove offending articles, replace place with new…. 10 minute job…. For someone who knows what they’re doing!
Me,
Check to see if I have the right tools - yes
Get a light for the loft
Remove new chargeable LED light from shed that I only fitted yesterday
Up to loft and off we go
First obstacle
Tap to turn off water supply very stiff and probably hasn’t been turned for 25 yrs
Gently ( I know, I don’t do gentle 🤣🤣🤣⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️) ease tap both ways until it frees up then turn it off slowly ( also applied some 3 in 1 oil to help for future use if necessary)
Undoing brass nut - same issue and had to be very careful but got there in the end.
Other two plastic nuts were easier.
Removed ballcock and then took out existing float arm without issue.
New float arm in, new ballcock attached and positioned, then water turned back on.
Slight weep from brass nut to pipe so gently tightened up and then rechecked- all ok.
Let tank refill then ran two cold taps for a minute and turned them off.
Back up to loft to watch water tank refill and check for leaks - all ok and no leaks.
Behold, no more noises from pipework either.
10 minute job took me an hour but alls well that ends well
Now having a nice cuppa.

Captain Chaos

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
At least you knew how to do it!

So many of the modern generation don't even know how to hold a hammer. The number you see on TV with their hands halfway up the shank is amazing.

As for even thinking about sorting out a poorly performing vacuum cleaner, or changing a ballcock, well thats just voodoo for generation Z

(Amazing, had to make sure ballcock was a single word, or the censors inserted asterix's!)

Reactions: Hutch
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
At least you knew how to do it!

So many of the modern generation don't even know how to hold a hammer. The number you see on TV with their hands halfway up the shank is amazing.

As for even thinking about sorting out a poorly performing vacuum cleaner, or changing a ballcock, well thats just voodoo for generation Z

(Amazing, had to make sure ballcock was a single word, or the censors inserted asterix's!)
I didn't know how to do it until I watched a few YT videos - am not very practical - this seemed to me to be not too technical - it was only really turning off a water supply and undoing a few nuts, and it really needed doing as it had got a lot worse in the last few days so I though I'd give it a go - in the past I would have rushed into it and caused havoc but not this time.
I know my limits though, and if I could not have turned the water supply off or loosened any of those nuts I would have got someone in to do it.

Thanks.

Reactions: Jcloughie and Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Humming and vibrating noises coming from pipe work when the cold taps are run…. Been getting consistently louder and lasting longer….
Quick look on You Tube… seems I need to replace the ballcock and float valve in the tank in the loft. …. Easy… turn off water supply to tank, undo brass nut and two plastic washer, remove offending articles, replace place with new…. 10 minute job…. For someone who knows what they’re doing!
Me,
Check to see if I have the right tools - yes
Get a light for the loft
Remove new chargeable LED light from shed that I only fitted yesterday
Up to loft and off we go
First obstacle
Tap to turn off water supply very stiff and probably hasn’t been turned for 25 yrs
Gently ( I know, I don’t do gentle 🤣🤣🤣⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️) ease tap both ways until it frees up then turn it off slowly ( also applied some 3 in 1 oil to help for future use if necessary)
Undoing brass nut - same issue and had to be very careful but got there in the end.
Other two plastic nuts were easier.
Removed ballcock and then took out existing float arm without issue.
New float arm in, new ballcock attached and positioned, then water turned back on.
Slight weep from brass nut to pipe so gently tightened up and then rechecked- all ok.
Let tank refill then ran two cold taps for a minute and turned them off.
Back up to loft to watch water tank refill and check for leaks - all ok and no leaks.
Behold, no more noises from pipework either.
10 minute job took me an hour but alls well that ends well
Now having a nice cuppa.

Captain Chaos
You Tube does come handy a job well done (y)

Reactions: Steve1962

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts