Noisy water pump

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Hi - anyone got any tips for reducing noise from diaphragm type water pump?
The pump is on built-in rubber mounts but is screwed directly onto the wall of the bathroom and this seems to be creating a big noise chamber - thinking of mounting on a thick foam or rubber pad but how to attach it to the wall then?

Hobbyt600

BANNED
Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
You’ll find plenty of on-line advice on reducing the operating noise of a diaphragm water-pump (a couple of examples here)

https://vandogtraveller.com/mounting-shurflo-water-pump/
http://www.swift-owners-club.com/support/knocking-pumps.html
The methods suggested include adding a ‘surge damper’, just perching the pump on a block of sponge rubber instead of screwing it to a solid base, using domestic pipe insulation to prevent the hoses leading to and from the pump from being in contact with anything, making sure that a reasonable length of ’soft’ hose is attached to the pump’s inlet and outlet (rather than connecting the pump directly to semi-rigid plastic hose) etc. etc.

It should be practicable to make a ’sandwich’ of two pieces of hard material (plywood or plastic) with a thick soft foam-rubber layer glued between them. One side of the sandwich could be screwed to the bathroom wall and the pump could be screwed to the sandwich’s other side. (Obviously it would be necessary to make access holes through the sandwich for the screws attaching it to the bathroom wall.) However, I suggest you first experiment by running the pump with it not being in contact with the bathroom wall (ie. by suspending the pump in free air) to decide whether your foam/rubber pad idea is likely to prove worthwhile.

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Hi Hobby T600 - I see you answered this thread as well as the one I have about TPMS - thanks - what I decided to do was similar to what you suggested - I made a metal plate and fixed some nuts to the back - then screwed the pump onto this before bonding it with spray adhesive(like that used for upholstery trimming) to a thick piece of semi hard foam - about 1" thick.This means the pump is still removeable for service/repair.
I then stuck this onto the wall of the water heater compartment using the spray adhesive again on the other side of foam - when this was dry, I used strong carpet tape to stick the foam to the shiny surface of the compartment wall - I also followed your advice on wrapping any water pipes which were in contact with anything else with foam tape - very pleased with the result and pump now much quieter!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts