Norfolk n chance

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Currently residing on a lovely little site called Deers Mead in Erpingham, Norfolk.
Arrived yesterday but our preparation for this trip did not go well and we have problems with the caravan which I will reveal later after a mobile engineer has been out to investigate cos apparently I can’t fix it with my hammer 🤣🤣🤣.

Photos will be added to this gallery as the two week holiday evolves but here’s a starter for 10 from our first stop along the way ay Cherwell Services on the M40 yesterday:

Captain Chaos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There was a terrible accident yesterday with a military convoy. Hope it was not the same one?
We passed a military convoy heading north on the A34=as my grandson and I were visiting Worthy Down. On the way back we had to divert from the A342 as near Devizes as there was a motorcyclist in a fatal accident. But the area was very busy with motorcyclists as Europes biggest bike meet was held at Calne.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
We passed a military convoy heading north on the A34=as my grandson and I were visiting Worthy Down. On the way back we had to divert from the A342 as near Devizes as there was a motorcyclist in a fatal accident. But the area was very busy with motorcyclists as Europes biggest bike meet was held at Calne.
That’s very sad.
Keen biker myself although I don’t currently have one.

Steve

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We traveled up the A34 yesterday early afternoon and were diverted through Newbury due to the A34 accident. We passed those army trucks on the A34, anyone know what they are? The steel lattice-like grids on the sides was strange.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We traveled up the A34 yesterday early afternoon and were diverted through Newbury due to the A34 accident. We passed those army trucks on the A34, anyone know what they are? The steel lattice-like grids on the sides was strange.
The lattice is to reduce the possibility of RPG and other explosive rounds penetrating the vehicle sidewalls which are not heavily armoured.

Reactions: GaryB and Steve1962
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Currently residing on a lovely little site called Deers Mead in Erpingham, Norfolk.
Arrived yesterday but our preparation for this trip did not go well and we have problems with the caravan which I will reveal later after a mobile engineer has been out to investigate cos apparently I can’t fix it with my hammer 🤣🤣🤣.

Photos will be added to this gallery as the two week holiday evolves but here’s a starter for 10 from our first stop along the way ay Cherwell Services on the M40 yesterday:

Captain Chaos
You obviously need a bigger hammer…….. 😎

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
They look like Jackals to me, used in the war in Afghanistan?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The lattice is to reduce the possibility of RPG and other explosive rounds penetrating the vehicle sidewalls which are not heavily armoured.
Not sure if that is correct as a lot depends on the size of the mesh? Instead of going through the mesh if a RPG did hit the mesh and explode, it will still kill or injure those inside. Most RPG projectiles are not very large, but pack a big punch. However looking at the vehicles again, I would think that the sides are thick armored metal?

During my time in the services I carried two of them hanging on the front of my jacket. We did not use mesh on any of our vehicles travelling in hot zones as mesh is no protection against landmines.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if that is correct as a lot depends on the size of the mesh? Instead of going through the mesh if a RPG did hit the mesh and explode, it will still kill or injure those inside. Most RPG projectiles are not very large, but pack a big punch.

During my time in the services I carried two of them hanging on the front of my jacket. Mesh is normally used for civilian type riots and protection against stones etc. and not in combat areas. We did not use mesh on any of our vehicles travelling in hot zones.
Those vehicles were extensively deployed in Afghanistan which is where they were designed for.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Those vehicles were extensively deployed in Afghanistan which is where they were designed for.
I had another look at the vehicles and modified my post, but mesh is no good against any RPG unless the sides are also armour plated. Of course useless against land mines. It is known as slat amour and is for drone attacks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had another look at the vehicles and modified my post, but mesh is no good against any RPG unless the sides are also armour plated. Of course useless against land mines. It is known as slat amour and is for drone attacks.
Are you referring to Rifle Propelled Grenades fired from a soldiers rifle, or Rocket Propelled Grenades fired from a custom launcher? The slat armour used in British Army vehicles precedes drone war fare. Several of the vehicle designs have v shaped hulls based on South African experience in mitigating IED devices planted in roads.

Slat armour is just one level of protection incorporated into these types of vehicle.

Slat armor (or slat armour in British English), also known as bar armor, cage armor, and standoff armor, is a type of vehicle armordesigned to protect against high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) attacks, as used by anti-tank guided missiles(ATGMs) and rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs).”

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Are you referring to Rifle Propelled Grenades fired from a soldiers rifle, or Rocket Propelled Grenades fired from a custom launcher? The slat armour used in British Army vehicles precedes drone war fare. Several of the vehicle designs have v shaped hulls based on South African experience in mitigating IED devices planted in roads.

Slat armour is just one level of protection incorporated into these types of vehicle.

Slat armor (or slat armour in British English), also known as bar armor, cage armor, and standoff armor, is a type of vehicle armordesigned to protect against high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) attacks, as used by anti-tank guided missiles(ATGMs) and rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs).”
Rifle Propelled Grenades. Custom launchers were not known as RPG in our war. The V shape came from the bush war in Rhodesia and not SA. The V shape deflected the blast and saved the lives of the occupants. The vehicle mainly used by us as a team was known as a Leopard. A very uncomfortable vehicle as you sat on metal.

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Went into Cromer today, crackin weather but very busy and have added some photos to the gallery.

After we got back today I had to get something out of a large plastic container stored in one of the lockers on the side of the caravan, and as I pulled it out it “fell out of my hands and threw itself on the hard standing, causing it to split open”….,
Upon reflection, I still can’t understand why my job application for the Bomb Squad was rejected🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Captain “Safehands” Chaos

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Back on site now after a nice day out.
The sat nav took us the scenic route to Wells next the sea and on the way we passed by a dome and a silver Spitfire, so I doubled back to take some photos ( added to the gallery).
This route took us through Blakeney, Holt and Stiffkey ( stop sniggering at the back).
Lovely countryside and pretty villages.
Had a nice time in Wells, then drove onto Sheringham where my military historical senses were again drawn to a framed document on the side wall in an antiques shop that is only open for four hrs Friday and Saturday, or by appointment.

It’s signed by Louis Mountbatten and dated 12th September 1945, Singapore.
Also signed by the Supreme Commander of the Japanese Forces with a stamped seal.

The official document of surrender of the Japanese Forces

I could not get a good photo of it because of reflections in the glass from the window.

If that were the real thing I can’t begin to imagine it’s value.

Then back to Cromer where we had fish and chips at Mary Janes.

Mary Jane’s fish and chips are absolutely delicious….. I wonder if she likes motorbikes, caravans and history🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 ( it would have to be ancient history for her to take a liking for me🤣🤣🤣).

Steve

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We've had many a happy-holiday in Norfolk, in fact we had our honeymoon there back in October 2000! The stretch of coast from Cromer to Hunstanton is (for me) an incredibly relaxing environment. We've done CL's and CAMHC and C&CC sites but I think Incleborough Fields scores highest on our list. There was (possibly still is) a CL called Foxhills next to the Muckleburgh (spelling?) Collection and every night you could here the sea crashing against the coastline in the distance.

Reactions: Steve1962
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have a week in September booked in Norfolk at Snettisham almost on the reserve. As we no longer have a caravan we have booked a nice static in its own private land. Had many nice holidays in the county so know our way around.

Reactions: Steve1962 and GaryB
D

Deleted member 23278

We were last in the area on a coach trip in December 2023. The shows at Cromer pier and Thursford were most of the trip. Next in Norfolk for a Norfolk & Suffolk DA THS at Sandringham C&CC site in October. Looking forward to it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also have a lovely time at Church Farm cottages a CL CAMHC Lower Gresham Cromer and very reasonable price for a service pitch and TV hook up.

Attachments

• Entrance-to-Caravan-Site-2.jpg
    Entrance-to-Caravan-Site-2.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: GaryB and Steve1962
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Fighter jets in the skies above again this morning:
There is a vicious rumour spread about by communism that my mum has scrambled them to keep an eye on me to stop me from being naughty….. 🤣🤣🤣

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts