Normal or Organic?

Jul 18, 2017
12,731
3,589
32,935
Visit site
We have tried some of the organic toilet fluids and find that they do not break down solids very well plus the smell. We only carry the Green Dometic tablets with us just in case a site insists we use them, but try and avoid using them as much as possible. We prefer either the Elsan blue or the Dometic Blue tablets.
Are we the only ones that think that the waste seems to smell a lot stronger when using organic toilet fluids and also that it seems to take a lot longer for it tom break down the waste?
 
Mar 31, 2011
55
1
0
Visit site
Fenwicks Top & Tail toilet fluid is sold by Halford , and answers all the Q. You ask you can also buy it on line from Amazon and get info from Fenwicks direct. I hope this this helps----jrs 1
 
Jul 18, 2017
12,731
3,589
32,935
Visit site
JRS1 said:
Fenwicks Top & Tail toilet fluid is sold by Halford , and answers all the Q. You ask you can also buy it on line from Amazon and get info from Fenwicks direct. I hope this this helps----jrs 1

I am sorry but it does not answer the question.
 
Mar 8, 2009
1,851
334
19,935
Visit site
Only time we use 'organic' is when it is compulsory, even then we would as leave use nothing, just water. The organic 'stuff' doesn't do the job, and the word rubbish describes it perfectly!!
 

Mel

Moderator
Mar 17, 2007
5,462
1,393
25,935
Visit site
I think Elsan organic does a good job. Green fluids are compulsory on our seasonal site.
Mel
 
Mar 31, 2011
55
1
0
Visit site
I'm sorry too, but a little time spent getting upto date info.and not lumping all the so called green products together you might get a more balanced view as things have change in the last 20 years in the chemicle industry. Jrs1
 
Mar 14, 2005
3,027
40
20,685
Visit site
Elsewhere in the Forum you will find a question I have asked about the relative merits or Fenwicks top and tail and Elsan organic.
This is because I converted to Fenwicks some years ago and have been very happy with it, but just wanted to get another opinion.
I converted to Fenwicks after having used various two component (flush and container) products for around 45 years, mainly to get away from the formaldehyde smell, plus staining from spills etc. and the inconvenience of carrying separate containers particularly on long stay holidays in Europe..
We use our on-board facilities almost exclusively and have never had a problem with the Top and Tail, indeed it retains it's detergent action far longer than any 'blue' we have tried.
You do need to use the correct dose of fluid and the recommended water in the holding tank after cleaning to make a suitable solution.

I hope this goes some way to answering your questions,
 
Jul 18, 2017
12,731
3,589
32,935
Visit site
RayS said:
Elsewhere in the Forum you will find a question I have asked about the relative merits or Fenwicks top and tail and Elsan organic.
This is because I converted to Fenwicks some years ago and have been very happy with it, but just wanted to get another opinion.
I converted to Fenwicks after having used various two component (flush and container) products for around 45 years, mainly to get away from the formaldehyde smell, plus staining from spills etc. and the inconvenience of carrying separate containers particularly on long stay holidays in Europe..
We use our on-board facilities almost exclusively and have never had a problem with the Top and Tail, indeed it retains it's detergent action far longer than any 'blue' we have tried.
You do need to use the correct dose of fluid and the recommended water in the holding tank after cleaning to make a suitable solution.

I hope this goes some way to answering your questions,

We used the normal Top & Tail quite sometime ago and I am not aware if they make an organic one. The Top and Tail worked okay however we no longer have a flush tank on our current caravan as it takes the flush water straight from the onboard tank.
 
Mar 14, 2005
3,027
40
20,685
Visit site
I understand T&T is 'organic; in that it does not have formaldhyde or similar and is acceptable at sites with septic tanks.
I'm afraid I don't understand why makers see fit to use the main water supply to serve both domestic taps and toilet flushes - ok, I suppose all our houses actually do this but they have break tanks in between and the drinking water tap/s are not likely to get back contamination.
To me, the connection of a flush to the main on-board tank is an extremely retrograde step which I would avoid.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,823
6,489
50,935
Visit site
RayS said:
I understand T&T is 'organic; in that it does not have formaldhyde or similar and is acceptable at sites with septic tanks.
I'm afraid I don't understand why makers see fit to use the main water supply to serve both domestic taps and toilet flushes - ok, I suppose all our houses actually do this but they have break tanks in between and the drinking water tap/s are not likely to get back contamination.
To me, the connection of a flush to the main on-board tank is an extremely retrograde step which I would avoid.

Agree with you totally on the caravans. But what’s the break tank? Our domestic water just comes into the house and is distributed to hot and cold water outlets, combi boiler showers and toilets. No tanks anywhere in the house. The only separation on the toilet water are the cisterns. What is a break tank?
 
Apr 19, 2017
361
2
0
Visit site
What is a break tank?

It's not usually a 'tank' as such (though these are used commercially in some situations). There should however be some form of siphon-break or one-way valve to prevent water from any storage vessel from being drawn back into the mains supply if the supply pressure drops. Even your outside hose tap should (these days) have a one-way valve. (The water in a domestic toilet flush tank should not actually be contaminated anyway, but you still don't want it drawn back into the drinking supply).

Many years ago it was common practice to fit 'silencer tubes' without siphon-breaks to the ball-valve intake of header tanks in the roof. You certainly would not want the CH water drawn back into the supply ..... nor the hot-water header which quite often had dead mice floating in it :eek:hmy:
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,823
6,489
50,935
Visit site
Our house has one back flow prevention valve on a mains outside tap that I fitted. The other outside tap is straight mains fed. We have a combi pressured heating sytem and hot water just goes from mains through the single pass exchanger and onto the taps. We must be positively archaic as none of the cisterns have any anti siphon valves either. Perhaps that all explains why we can drink site water here and in Europe and never had a problem in four visits to India. We are laden with good bugs :)
 
Jul 18, 2017
12,731
3,589
32,935
Visit site
RayS said:
I understand T&T is 'organic; in that it does not have formaldhyde or similar and is acceptable at sites with septic tanks.
I'm afraid I don't understand why makers see fit to use the main water supply to serve both domestic taps and toilet flushes - ok, I suppose all our houses actually do this but they have break tanks in between and the drinking water tap/s are not likely to get back contamination.
To me, the connection of a flush to the main on-board tank is an extremely retrograde step which I would avoid.
I am not sure that I understand your concern? We have an onboard tank and the flush works from that tank and does not go into a flush tank. Even if the water that was going to towards the flush went back to the onboard tank, it would not be contaminated in anyway. However I think there is a one way valve in place anyway.
 
Jun 17, 2011
826
27
18,885
Visit site
We use Elsan organic and have for years. The advantages are no chemical smell in the bathroom and only one bottle to carry. I understand the organic has nutrients and gentle oxidisers that encourages the good bacteria to multiply suppressing the bad bacteria. It’s the latter that causes the unpleasant smells. The only problem is finding it. A local farm supplier has it at £9.27 a bottle but many dealers don’t have it.
 
Mar 14, 2005
3,027
40
20,685
Visit site
Sorry I was back to industrialstuff with break tank. In houses which have the toilet tank/s supplied from the tanks usually in the loft, these tanks aslo provide a break between the toilet tank which may become contaminated from the toilet itself or by handling the components in the event of problems but the ball float valve provides isolation between the water and the incoming mains usd for drinking water. The main drinking water tap - usually in the kitchen is often the first offtke from the incoming mains.
I was surprised to read that others had houses with the toilet tanks supplied directly from incoming mains. I had this situation in a previous house and ws told this did not meet current building regulations, as in the event of mains failure - which could last several days, you would only have one flush left for each toilet - not desirable,
 

TRENDING THREADS