normandy sight seeing

Feb 17, 2009
Visit site
As a family we are off to Normandy in August this year for my son to see the D-day history sights which he has been reading about this year in school. Are there recommended places to visit when in Normandy? Want to make sure that I see as much as possible for the week we have booked there? Looking at some of the other messages I see the war cemetries are recommended as one place as a must. Any other suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Derrick

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We would suggest :-

Museum at St Mere Eglise, Museum at Utah Beach, Point du Hoc, Cemetery at Omaha Beach, guns at Longues sur Mer, Arromanches, Bayeaux Cemetery / Museum, Pegasus Bridge.

What site are you staying at?

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Derrick

You can get a pass card at many of the museums etc. it not only gives you a discount on any further visits to the many sites, you also get a map of them all and a brief description. If you google "normandie pass" you will find their website.

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I would definately recommend visiting in addition the suggestions Merville Battery. It may not look much but is fantastic. Pegusus bridge is good too. There is an excellent site at Merville Plage (do a search on google to find it). Hope you have a great time. My wife and I are planning to retire to Normandy in the future it is fantastic interesting and beautiful.

Feb 17, 2009
Visit site
We would suggest :-

Museum at St Mere Eglise, Museum at Utah Beach, Point du Hoc, Cemetery at Omaha Beach, guns at Longues sur Mer, Arromanches, Bayeaux Cemetery / Museum, Pegasus Bridge.

What site are you staying at?
hi we are planning to stay at Les hautes coutures.Thanks for the info supplied so far

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
HI Derrick ,

I really recommend the Caen memorial, which is really a big series of audio-visual displays about the build up to war and the normandy campaign. It's a fantastic way to get "the big picture". We found all other visitor centres paled in comparison.

For a change from the D-day stuff, there's always Bayeux with it's tapestry, which ties in with a visit to Battle in Kent back home.

It's a great trip. We stayed in a site near Bayeaux.

Nicky

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
The museum at Arromanches is a must. The English commentary, given by a Frenchman, is excellant and acknowledges the the brilliance of the English engineers who planned the Mulberry Harbour.

As a an extra although not connected with D-Day, go and see the tapestry at Bayeaux. It's a must for anyone interested in English history.

Michael - Derbyshire

TRENDING THREADS