North of Scotland Sites

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks,

Just back from 2 weeks holidays.Started off at Huntly castle caravan site as we were attending a wedding.

This site is affiliated to the Caravan Club and standards are as one would expect on a Club Site.The layout was very pleasant and there are 3 toilet blocks so never far to walk.

To get to town was approx 5/10mins walk from the site and there you can find a good mix of shops.

On the outskirts of the town is a shortbread factory !!!!!

Also on the outskirts is Asda and Tesco.

We had never been here before but were very impressed and would definitely go back again.

Next,we went to Grantown on Spey.

This is also an affiliated site to the Caravan Club.We chose to be on a super pitch here and were facing the mountains in the distance.There are 2 toilet blocks and we were nearest the newer one ( 3 years old.)Underfloor heating made it very pleasant for taking a shower.

There was a superb adventure play area for young children which was well used when we were there.

To walk to town was approx 5/10mins.where there was a good selection of shops.

I didn't like the layout of the site quite so much as Huntly but had no complaints about our pitch.Would recommend the site for future use.

Lastly,we then drove to Bunree .For those who have not noticed..... this site is now open until the beginning of January.This is one of our favourite sites and we were lucky enough to get a pitch at the waterside.I am more than happy to just sit watching the changing colours of the light on the mountains and water.We have had 2 weeks of wonderful weather and the colours of the trees this year have been a joy to see.

While we were at Bunree,we took a run up to Arisaig.I had never been here before.Frank had mentioned a CL which was near the golf course......we found this.What a gem !!! No facilities apart from a tap and waste emptying and not particularly level BUT what a position.Overlooking wonderful beach with the golf course at the rear of the beach ( Traigh Golf Course )

That is definitely on the list to go back to.

At the moment there are major roadworks going on to take away the last bit of single track road to Arisaig.These works will be finished for 2009 and I should think that will make a huge difference to the locals and holiday makers.

Now it is time to start planning next year's hols !!!

Maureen

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Maureen,

I responded to your theft in the other post. Huntly and Grantown are real good sites. I have just read up on a place near Grantown that does a nature watch from a hide. You can see Badgers, Pine Martins etc almost guarnteed.

The site at Arisaig is good eh !!!. We are buying a rigid inflatable boat for the next time we go up that way. Talking about colours we went up to Braemar last week, it was almost as good as New England. A brilliant clear day made it all very special.

Val & Frank

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Frank,

To hijack this thread slightly, I was at the Newtonmore CC-affiliated site in September. We were recommended to visit the Jack Drake Alpine Nursery for coffee and cakes (it is on the back road from Inverdruie to Kincraig). They have a viewing area where you can have your coffee and watch many birds and red squirrels feeding at the peanut feeders. It was wonderful. This has been my best year ever for seeing red squirrels. Long may it continue.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Malcolm

I must agree we seem to have an abundance of wildlife at the moment. I was up Hazlehead Park the other evening just before dusk and saw one of the nicest Foxes anyone could wish to see. Real red and very clean in fact a picture of health !!!. Also we are getting deer down into our back garden and we live almost in the city just out by the treetops.

regards

Frank & Val

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Malcolm

Forgot to say have taken a note of the Jack Drake nursery. In fact we may go to Grantown on Sunday for a few days, I think it shuts around the 5 th Nov for a month or so.

Val & Frank

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Frank,

The new super pitches at Grantown are colour coded.We were in Silver and Nos.1-5 faced the hills

the next section behind us was Blue with similar numbering and positioning.

The warden said people can ring and reserve a pitch but they never remember what the colour is !!

There seemed to be approx.12 /13 in each section.

Maureen

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Frank,

Well worth a trip to Jack Drake's from Grantown. We went on the Thursday and three red squirrels were feeding. We took a friend on the Sunday and had to wait 5 minutes before two appeared. I was worried for a little while, after all we had been saying about it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts