Northern lights in UK

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I was very fortunate to see them 4 nights running whilst on a Norwegian coastal Voyage in September about 5 years ago. Something I shall never forget, I just sat out on deck nearly all night utterly mesmerised.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was very fortunate to see them 4 nights running whilst on a Norwegian coastal Voyage in September about 5 years ago. Something I shall never forget, I just sat out on deck nearly all night utterly mesmerised.
It must have been a wonderful once in a lifetime opportunity. Hopefully you took plenty of pictures of the lights.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I did, but I was on-board a ship which tends to not remain totally still during the 2 or 3 second exposure necessary to get a decent (and blur free) shot!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I did, but I was on-board a ship which tends to not remain totally still during the 2 or 3 second exposure necessary to get a decent (and blur free) shot!

A couple of bottles of wine would have sorted out that issue and it you would have been 100% steady. LOL! 😂 😂

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We saw them in Iceland in 2019. Went out in the evening in a small group and went a good way from Reykjavik were there was no light pollution. Quite a surreal sight. Even when you have seen them on film then“ live” show is amazing. We followed cultural traditions by eating fermented shark, down tots of local hooch, Brennivin, and finished with hot chocolate. Arrived back at the hotel around 0230; with an early morning call for an all day tour.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
For the last 36 hours or so I've been getting alerts on a massive scale from my Aurorawatch App. We're I live on Skye it's quite common to get alerts but I've never seen them on this scale before.

Problem was I'm currently the other side of the world otherwise I'd be out there with my camera because the weather forecast was also looking good.

Murphys Law in Action.

PS: I posted some Aurora shots in another thread somewhere.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
I went out to a local dark spot last night but even up there the light and air pollution from the nearest town, along with a bright half moon, meant nothing really to see despite no cloud cover.

However 2 weeks ago I was in Iceland and got a very good show one night! It wasn't until last night I realised just how clear the air was in Iceland, helped by a new moon and being a long way from anywhere inhabited.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I worked in Northern Pakistan for a couple of years, the night sky was wonderful with very little light pollution, winters were wonderful, but as soon as the sun went below the mountains the temperature plummeted, thank goodness for a kerosine heater in the Yurn .
Clear sky here in Milton Keynes last night but sadly no sighting of the AB.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts