Northumberland Site needed

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
We live in Newcastle and are looking for a good site to use as our first trip out in our newly aquired caravan.

although local we havent actually spent much time in northumberland and usually head off to the lake district so we need advice for a good site. (the reason for northumberland is that its not too far if things go pearshaped)

Ideally we want a site that has toilet/shower facilities, a good kids play area (5yr old boy) and is quite sheltered. (dont fancy battling with a wayward awning first time out)

There are lots to choose from but thats the problem, we need recomendations from people that have been.

Sorry if this sounds like a daft request but first time out we want to be safe and secure. We'll leave the exploring for next time when we are more confident.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
River Breamish Caravan Club site Powburn. Sheltered, lots to see locally - Alnwick Castle, Berwick, beaches and so on. Play field on site and I think there is a reasonable playground in the village nearby.

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Im making a bit of a habit of it. We went to Whitehaven last month and were in the exact same place exactly 24hours before the gunman there went on the rampage!

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
River Breamish Caravan Club site Powburn. Sheltered, lots to see locally - Alnwick Castle, Berwick, beaches and so on. Play field on site and I think there is a reasonable playground in the village nearby.
This sounds ideal, I'll a look for a website

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

I find this website very good,

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk
you can search by map, ie, position your cursor and it will show you all sites within a specified radius, you can specify what facilities you require, but the feature I find most useful is the reviews from people who have stayed on the sites, very handy for finding out about the state of the toilets, showers, late night noise etc etc.

Good luck,

Jim.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Also put the postcode NE664HY into Google mapping. The red pointer shows the site. The pub in Powburn - I think it is The Plough - is child friendly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a southerner who loves the north east, you won't go wrong at River Breamish site. - just gan canny up the way.

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Ive used UK campsite before (family tent holidays) and its very useful, especially the reviews. Theres just so many 'good' sites to choose from.

My wife has always wanted to go the haltwhistle C&CC site as we are members but having read reports of a steep hill to gain entry, im a little put off as my car is quite low powered (1.6 Petrol A3) and its my first outing ever towing.

The beamish site does sound good, but theres no mention of a kids playground. My 5yr old would never forgive us if we took him to a site with no playground he can go make friends at.

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Andrew there is a great site (CaravanClub)at Yellowcraigs (North Berwick) might be a bit far for you but has all you have stated ,small play area for your son .quiet , not to windy, 450yds from massive beach,staff very helpfull if you have any problems .etc.etc hope all gous wel for your first outing , remember we were all first timers at one point .good luck

cheers Duggie

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
HI! Andrew there is a great site (CaravanClub)at Yellowcraigs (North Berwick) might be a bit far for you but has all you have stated ,small play area for your son .quiet , not to windy, 450yds from massive beach,staff very helpfull if you have any problems .etc.etc hope all gous wel for your first outing , remember we were all first timers at one point .good luck

cheers Duggie
Yellowcraig - and its at Dirlton

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want to venture across the border (just) have a look at the CL at kelso leisure Centre -just out of kelson past the racecourse. This has an indoor pool etc. available at small extra cost, excellent views down to the Cheviot and kelso itslf is an excellent town. The CC site a Berwick is very busy and the upper pitches back onto the main railway line - i much prefer the peace ( and price) of the CL

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Andrew, try waren caravan and camping park, it sits looking over Budle bay, has a heated outdoor pool, cafe and a refurbished toilet block, it's one of our favorite sites.

John

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
YIP. I would agree with Waren Caravan Park nr the coast. Bamburgh. for a 5 yr old boy (I know about them!) There is safe space to run and a playpark. you can hop in the car 10mins to beach,ice cream, scenery etc and hopefuly no wind cos you are a little, tiny bit inland on site.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Someone mentions Haltwhitle CCC site and having a steep access. Last part of approach is single track but wide verges and downhill. Coming out would be OK as the exit is pretty level, you turn left up the hill and this very short. The site is excellent for adults who like walking, birds etc. Good for Hadrian's wall. Don't recall a play ground though.

If this is your first trip I suggest any club site as you'll get plenty of help if you need it. (The last twice out I've helped new caravanners with some of the problems we get and I recall my first trip.) Enjoy it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts