Nose weight gauge warning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We purchased a gauge from our local shop, granted only cost £10 (red square one) we were horrified to find our nose weight coming in at around 105 kg last week when we were ready to set off for the first time. We have a Rover 75 and the max weight is 100kg but I have had advice on this forum to tow at around 80kg. We thought we would be OK having followed all the advice on here about loading etc. We just purchased a cheap set of bathroom scales and verified the weight was accurate by measuring a 25 kg bag of dishwasher salt. We checked the same set up on the bathroom scales and this came in at 80kg which was spot on what we were looking for. We then checked again with the purpose built gauage and again the reading was 105kg. I expected some difference in tols but 25kg is an awful lot to be out buy. I shall be returning these to the shop this week and just wanted to let people know that certainly the gauge I have bought is not accurate at all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem with this particular n/w gauge over 2 years ago when it showed grotesquely high noseweights on our Compass Corolla 362! I threw the gauge away, bought some cheap scales, and all was well.

Graham

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
having bought the gauge you use and just today I measured my noseweight which was 75 Kg. in line with my cars and vans requirements. The problem I came across was having to get the the gauge to stay in the the vertical position and should be fitted with a base and a top wide enough to the hitch. I have promised myself to try and "invent" a solution.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a bathroom scales with a short piece of timber to the tow socket. Works for me. You can put a flat piece of board on the scales if you want to spread the load.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just returned the nose gauge discussed at the begining of this thread. Whilst I was pleased to get my money back, I am concerned at his comments when I explained that it was out by around 25kg. 'well it's cheap japanese rubbish and you get what you pay for sir, would you like a far more expensive one that will be much more accurate'......should the dealer by selling this knowing it is crap. What if I had been stopped at a weigh bridge check and fined because of inaccurate nose weight? We only checked this becuase we did not believe the reading which led to discovering that the gauge was not accurate...If you are using one of these red , square

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A group of friends spent a couple of hours comparing the accuracy of our nose weight guages and comparing with two sets of bathroom scales. The main thing we found was that the nose weight measures significantly different readings according to the height of the hitch. So different length gadgets gave different readings even if each was theoretically accurate.

We came to the conclusion that the only accurate measure was with the van on level ground and the hitch at the same height as it would be when coupled to the towball on your car. So we adjusted the assorted gadgets by putting different thicknesses of wood under them so that each was at the same (towball) height when compressed.

Even then, there was a difference of up to 5Kg between the different devices. So much for accuracy.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In my invention mode I think that if you fasten one of those feet that attach to the corner steadies to the bottom of the nose level guage and one on the top then you will have a guage that will stand steady on the bottom and under the hitch coupling. mind this is a simple solution because I beleive that

the problems with nose weight measuring is one of how accurate is the measuring device.

1 - A spring is subject to whether the spring is at the correct vertical so as to remove friction if measuring off the perpendicular. and the temterature of the test day.

2 - I have no faith in "bathroom scales" as they will not read correctly as the load applied is point loaded.

IMHO the only sure way is to have a load cell (as used in many weighing operations) fitted to a suitable jig, so that the whole can be fitted under the hitch and then a confident measurement can be made. I think if time is available will investigate and then I will let entrepreners invest in it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I stated on a previous post get a Reich Caravan Weight Control which will enable accurate nose load measurement and you can weigh the loaded caravan and not be had for overloading your van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul & Ruth & all respondants, Based upon the reported incidents the Red Square device fails in two very important aspects to satisfy it's intended purpose.

1. It does not accurately indicate the applied force,

2. It cannot be applied or used for its intended purpose without additional unspecified equiepement.

I would be very interested to know if the guage carries a "CE" mark. If it does, then Trading Standards should be interested. The device should have an accuracy statement which include the degree of uncertainty.

It should also carry a warning that it should not be used as a definitive measurment of down force when assessing the compliance of a trailer with legal regulations.

The only devices that can be used for the legal purposes must be part of quality controlled calibration system, with the devices clearly displaying "last calibrated date" along with a "next calibration date" they must be in good condition. The operator must be trained in thier use, and how to read the output.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John

I cannot check this as I returned the offending item (which the shop keeper took back and tried to sell me one at twice the price stating this was cheap rubbish and I got what I paid for)...hence this did not give me much faith to spend twice as much money in his shop! If I do see one on my travels I will take a closer look and see if it has these marks?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Chris, you write you seem surprised that the repeatability of your measurements with different devices was only 5kg. In view of the fact that the measurements were not taken under laboratory conditions, I would have though that a 5kg range in an overall value of 75kg was pretty good.

TRENDING THREADS