Nose Weight Guage

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Recent recieved as a gift a noseweight guage. I only goes up to 80kg and my Rover75 has a max of 100kg. Is there a way around this ? Should I be using the max of the caravan spec - Avondale Dart 515

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hello Niel, Even though your Rover may have a maximum limit of 100Kg, you must also check and not exceed the caravans nose weight limit. For good towing, you do need some nose weight and a guide figure of 7% of the caravans all-up weight is suggested.

You do not need to load up to the maximum limits, provided teh outfit is stable.

I am guessing, but the 80Kg capacity of the nose weight guage will probably be enough.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil I to have a Rover 75 tourer and my Bailey Oklahoma recomends the max nose weight on the hitch at100kgs so check what Avondale recomend for your Dart

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil I to have a Rover 75 tourer and my Bailey Oklahoma recomends the max nose weight on the hitch at100kgs so check what Avondale recomend for your Dart
How much are these gauges? I have not seen them in any shops yet (granted I have not been looking). We pick up our van on Saturday and I drive a rover 75, it sounds as if this is a good tool as opposed to balancing on scales etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is just as easy to use a piece of wood and bathroom scales and they usually go much higher ! When I measured my caravan noseweight I was staggered how much it was !. e

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How much are these gauges? I have not seen them in any shops yet (granted I have not been looking). We pick up our van on Saturday and I drive a rover 75, it sounds as if this is a good tool as opposed to balancing on scales etc.
the jury is still out , apparently these guages can be as much as 15-20 kg out, calibration is pretty poor so i'll use my bathroom scales as a guide or double check if i can get then outside without being caught by she who must be obeyed !

Either way it has to be better than pure guess work

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
It is just as easy to use a piece of wood and bathroom scales and they usually go much higher ! When I measured my caravan noseweight I was staggered how much it was !. e
Please be aware that bathroom scales are particularly accurate, so always err on the side of caution, especially if you are close to you maximum limit. Remember you are illegal if you exceed the limit stated by the car or the caravan manufacure which ever is lower.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Just realised imissed out a vital "NOT" Bathroom scales are are NOT accurate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ruth & paul

A noes weight is not that important as any good bathroom scales will weigh up to about 250kg, place a peice of flat board across to spread the weight then a short peice of dowling under the coupling head, this is only a one of exercise so why spend money unnesessary. need any other help come back.

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just realised imissed out a vital "NOT" Bathroom scales are are NOT accurate.
If you read my thread also on gauges, I found my new gauge un-accurate. It cost a tenner and was showing around 105kg. I also have a Rover and wanted to tow at around 80kg. We then purchased some bathroom scales, verified the weight and accuracy by weighing some large bags of dishwasher salt (25kg) each bag. We then checked the same set up and the nose weight was coming in at 80kg on the bathroom scales as opposed to 105kg on the puropse made gauge???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts