Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The noseweight is important for the stability of the towcar and is therefore independent of whether it's towing a single or twin axle. No matter what noseweight of the caravan is, it's got to be adjusted to suit the car (bearing in mind that the noseweight must not exceed the lower of the two values specified for car and caravan, respectively).

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Not necessarily. How high or low the ex-works noseweight is depends on the design and layout of the caravan, not whether it's a single or twin axle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Richard,

Further to Lutz's comments I feel it is important to add that it is even more important with a twin axel, that the measurement of nose weight is carried out correctly.

The reason for this is that the twin suspension systems interact and only small changes in attitude of the caravan can make quite large changes in the applied down-force at the hitch. Certainly more so than with a single axel caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't share your last comment, JohnL. The noseweight of a twin is actually less sensitive to changes of attitude. As the front end goes down, so more load is transferred from the rear pair of wheels of the twin to the front. This moves the centre of gravity rearwards relative to the prime pivot point, which, in the extreme, would then be the front pair of wheels. Conversely, the opposite happens when you raise the drawbar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lutz,

Yes I fully agree with you, the point I was trying to make was that the change in down-force at the hitch on a twin is not as 'linear' as with a single axle.

Only a small change in the altitude of the hitch creates a bigger change in the applied force than you would expect from a single axle arrangement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts