Nose Weight

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
havn't come across anything better or more accurate,just make sure when using length os wood from hitch to scales,lay a flat peice of ply on the scales first.if you just use wood onto scales you'll get a different reading,as the peice of wood is central to the scales,the weight needs to be evened out.try it and see

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that klarky. I will remember to use the peice of ply on the scale. They don't tell you that in the handbook (or the dealership)

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I used to use the bathroom scales I put an axle stand on before zeroing the scales but plywood and axle stand would work well !!

I now use a noseweight gauge but just have faith (don't know why!) that it reads correctly.

As the drive slopes so that the front of the van is higher I put the nose weight gauge onto the trolley jack and thus keep the van level when measuring.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I recently bought a (yellow) nose weight guage. However, how should you operate it correctly? Should you allow the stabiliser to lower ALL THE WAY ontop of the guage or should you stop lowering until it is parallel with the tow bar? If the latter then I am concerned that the weight of the 'nose' is still being supported by the jockey wheel which remains in contact with the ground?

Thoughts please

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Noseweight should not be measured with the caravan standing level but with the coupling at the same height as when the caravan is hitched up to the car. This means that it will normally be slightly nose down.

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lutz.

So I need the nose at coupling at hitch level, and axle stand (maybe) and a bit of plywood and some decent scales.

Thanks eveyone, most useful.

J

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts