Nose weight

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know the recommended nose weight of a Bailey Scorpio 2 berth caravan please? Would you believe Bailey haven't a clue!! Ours is an excellent 1990 van and Bailey don't keep records of it.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think you must have been in touch with someone at Bailey who was just too lazy to check. Because of the legal implications of noseweight, they must have records somewhere in case of possible litigation.

I don't know what the actual figure is but as you say it's a 2 berth caravan, it will most probably be 75kg. Lower limits are rare and confined to a few cars and very light trailers and higher limits for caravans are usually only found for big twin axled caravans and trailers.

Don't forget, however, that whatever the caravan's max. noseweight is, you may not exceed the figure specified for the towcar, either.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
From http://www.eclipse.co.uk/samwise/thecode05.htm

The noseweight should be approximately 7% of the actual laden weight for optimum stability. However, this may be restricted by the towing vehicle manufacturer's limit and the caravan's hitch limit.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In practice, the noseweight will often be limited by car or caravan manufacturer's specification as 7% of the laden weight of the average family caravan will already exceed either or both these figures. But even for lightweight caravans I would recommend making full use of the available noseweight limit rather than working with the 7% formula.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris,

Looked up a very old Baileys club site which lists older vans,

unfortunatly they do not have the nose weights but they do have the following, should it be of any use for you:-

Scorpio 1990

1) model 390/2

ex work weight 13.9 cwt.

max auth weight 17.8 cwt.

2) model 450/2

ex works weight 15.1 cwt

max auth weight 19.6 cwt.

As already mention, that some nose wights that exceed the car as does my Bailey imperial 100 kg, where as my car has a max of 0.75 kg

which I can achieve with no problem, the van tows like a dream.

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From http://www.eclipse.co.uk/samwise/thecode05.htm

The noseweight should be approximately 7% of the actual laden weight for optimum stability. However, this may be restricted by the towing vehicle manufacturer's limit and the caravan's hitch limit.
Hello Steve,

The 7% figure is starting point and a useful guide. In much the same way as the 85% figure is often missquoted as a "rule" each combination of tug + trailer will need to be trimemd, and the best results may lie either side of the 7% or 85% figures.

This being so the 7% does not necesarily give the optimum noseload figure.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi chris i noticed that you asked for the nose weight of the caravan ,and every one seems to be giving you the answer for the car ,if its an Alko chasis its normaly a maximum weight of 100 Kg ,for what ever car you are driving refer to your drivers manual ,but do not exceed the 100 Kg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi chris i noticed that you asked for the nose weight of the caravan ,and every one seems to be giving you the answer for the car ,if its an Alko chasis its normaly a maximum weight of 100 Kg ,for what ever car you are driving refer to your drivers manual ,but do not exceed the 100 Kg
True its 100kg for the Alko hitch

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To remain legal you must not exceed the max permitted nose load of either the caravan or the car which ever is lower!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Actually, the limit for the AlKo 3004 coupling, if one is fitted, is 150kg but the limit for the drawbar can, and often is, lower, usually 100kg.

As stated in other replies, it is always the lowest of the figures for drawbar, coupling, car and towbar which define the max. limit for noseweight.

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
I think you are more likely to find the noseweight in you towing vehicle's handbook, as the noseweight affects thetowing vehicles handling and is normaly set by the vehicle manufacturer rather than the caravan manufacturer. No matter what van you tow, you must not exceed the noseweight set by the vehicle manufacturer! Anyone know differently??

Tankie

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
Sorry folks, I have just re-read my caravan service handbook and find I missed the fact that Swift refer to noseweight as "Static Load on Coupling Head", which, incidently is 100kgs for all Swift models,Charisma, Challeger & Conqueror of year 2004 vintage. So as someone said earlier, you must not exceed the lowest of the two.

My apologies Tankie

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
Sorry folks, I have just re-read my caravan service handbook and find I missed the fact that Swift refer to noseweight as "Static Load on Coupling Head", which, incidently is 100kgs for all Swift models,Charisma, Challeger & Conqueror of year 2004 vintage. So as someone said earlier, you must not exceed the lowest of the two.

My apologies Tankie
Wich in my case for a Renault Scenic is 75kgs, which is quite difficult to achieve with 2Berth end bathroom van. I once asked a salesman the best way to achieve it? he replied that they have no problem, the use 2kg bags of nails and just move them as required!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tankie

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

My apologies Tankie
A bag of nails is rather unnecessary deadweight to carry around. I'm sure you will find something more suitable to use as ballast.

TRENDING THREADS