Nose Weight

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The preferred nose weight for many is approximately 5-7% of the MTPLM of the caravan and in most cases not exceeding 100kg.

Oct 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks guys
I have taken back the Caravan with some other issues and they are looking into this problem and checking the nose weight gauge etc, also I forgot to say is that when I've loaded the caravan to 80kg and with all legs raised, if I walk towards the rear of the caravan it tilts up in the air!!
Not had THIS problem before, The new 2020 caravans ( as I understand it )have dampers fitted COULD this be problem?
thanks again

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys
I have taken back the Caravan with some other issues and they are looking into this problem and checking the nose weight gauge etc, also I forgot to say is that when I've loaded the caravan to 80kg and with all legs raised, if I walk towards the rear of the caravan it tilts up in the air!!
Not had THIS problem before, The new 2020 caravans ( as I understand it )have dampers fitted COULD this be problem?
thanks again
Not surprising that it tilts up in the air as this will happen with most single axle caravans. Front weighs 80 kg and you probably weigh the same or similar so when you go to the back we have the Law of Physics kicking in. :ROFLMAO:

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In the case of the 2010-2012 Hyundai Santa Fe, the noseweight is calculated as 4% of the maximum towing weight giving a discrepancy between the manual and automatic versions - Hyundai rectified this on the 2013-on model with both transmissions having the same noseweight limit.

I gave that advice based on my own practical experience with a 2011 Santa Fe automatic - rather than generalised comment about manufacturers' tests.

Going by your reasoning based on the 4%, the difference in kerbweight between the manual and the automatic would have to be 500kg, which is more than unlikely.
Your"practical experience" is hardly going to cover all eventualities. The manufacturer's limit is based on extended tests, both on the rig and on the road, taking into account adverse conditions which you may never have encountered. It is therefore wise to stick to the manufacturer's limit, bearing in mind that warranty coverage would be lost if the limit is exceeded.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The new 2020 caravans ( as I understand it )have dampers fitted COULD this be problem?
thanks again

Definitely! Producing caravans intended to be towed at speeds of up to 60mph without dampers being fitted is, to my mind, verging on the irresponsible on the part of the manufacturer.
So long as the noseweight is set correctly, the fact that the rear end is up in the air is neither here nor there.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I guess shock absorbers could always be fitted and the wheels balanced. Improved safety plus caravan not shaking to bits.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Going by your reasoning based on the 4%, the difference in kerbweight between the manual and the automatic would have to be 500kg, which is more than unlikely.
Your"practical experience" is hardly going to cover all eventualities. The manufacturer's limit is based on extended tests, both on the rig and on the road, taking into account adverse conditions which you may never have encountered. It is therefore wise to stick to the manufacturer's limit, bearing in mind that warranty coverage would be lost if the limit is exceeded.
Not the difference in kerbweight - it's the difference in towing weights between manual and automatic Hyundai Santa Fe's of that era - the auto is 2000 kg while the manual is 2500kg - Hyundai's policy at that time was to use the EU minimum of 4% for noseweight limit, giving 80 and 100 kg respectively.

A 2011 Hyundai will no longer be under original warranty.

Oct 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks again guys as I said from the start the sintra is back with the place of purchase, When I get it back I will test the nose weight to see if it is the same as the scales etc. and will let you all know the out come of what they have found,
I do realize that when i walk back in the caravan the weight will transfer and tilt by my Verona didn't !! as for the dampers they are fitted as standard I was just concerned that they are an added thing that might be wrong! talk to you all next week
Kind regards

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks again guys as I said from the start the sintra is back with the place of purchase, When I get it back I will test the nose weight to see if it is the same as the scales etc. and will let you all know the out come of what they have found,
I do realize that when i walk back in the caravan the weight will transfer and tilt by my Verona didn't !! as for the dampers they are fitted as standard I was just concerned that they are an added thing that might be wrong! talk to you all next week
Kind regards
Have you thought of getting the wheels balanced as that can make a difference to the actual towing?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Kind regards
Without knowing how heavy you are, that might indicate a low noseweight - if it's actually 80kg you'd need to be about 100 kg to balance that right at the rear of the caravan as the A-frame gives extra leverage to the noseweight.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There is still something wrong if an outfit is so sensitive that it requires a noseweight outside the manufacturer's limits in order to handle well even under adverse conditions such as strong crosswinds, etc. I have towed my 1800kg single axle caravan under normal conditions with as little as 50kg noseweight. Although the difference is noticeable compared with it at the 80kg max. allowed, I would not consider it particularly unacceptably nervous under such circumstances.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Hyundai is a good tow car and the caravan looks to be a decent match so if it is towing badly the reason should be elsewhere. The 80 kg nose weight looks acceptable and should work and I would think it is unlikely to be seriously lower than this, although seriously if too high it could cause problems. My guess would be tyre pressures or loading, but I think some experimentation may be needed to get it right.

Reactions: otherclive
Oct 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks again Guys much appreciated when I get the caravan back first thing I'm going to do is check the nose weight on the jockey wheel either by ( and I might buy a nose weight from the shop ) and the bathroom scales etc.
Then reload the caravan with light weight under the bed and put the heavy in the car and on the axle so will let you know the outcome

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Have you towed with the Sante Fe before? I would check the shock absorbers on the car, might be OK solo but not when towing. Also as I mentioned before beware of heavily used HGV roads, I had a bad 20 miles of dual carriage way last week. Caravan in and out of the HGV ruts..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Do not use he jockey wheel to check the nose weight as it will give you a false reading as it is not as far from the axle as the hitch.. The weight is taken at the hitch. You need a length of wood cut to the length needed to measure at the tow hitch level in the hitch to get the correct reading.
ALKO do make a jockey wheel that will weigh the nose weight, but you need to take measurements before using it and then use a chart to correct the figure on the jockey wheel. Depending on the measurements the figure at the jockey wheel can be seriously out.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Do not use he jockey wheel to check the nose weight as it will give you a false reading as it is not as far from the axle as the hitch.. The weight is taken at the hitch. You need a length of wood cut to the length needed to measure at the tow hitch level in the hitch to get the correct reading.
ALKO do make a jockey wheel that will weigh the nose weight, but you need to take measurements before using it and then use a chart to correct the figure on the jockey wheel. Depending on the measurements the figure at the jockey wheel can be seriously out.
It's not a serious error, about 5%, so just a few kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I believe that AlKo should have made an appropriate allowance in the jockey wheels load gauge to compensate for the different lever lengths, But what we don't know is how accurate the built in gauge is, and that is what needs to be checked before any other adjustments are are made.

However some other good points have been raised and should be considered. It is very important that both the tow vehicle and the trailer are in good mechanical condition. Anything that is wrong with springs or dampers should be corrected. Tyre pressures are also important.

I cannot recall any situation where having dampers fitted or having the road wheels balanced has been a bad thing.

But get the nose load measured to establish if the jockey wheel is telling lies!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's not a serious error, about 5%, so just a few kg.

Exactly. If a couple of kilos makes the difference between an outfit handling well and one handling badly then I would suggest that other factors play a much more important role. As I mentioned earlier, I need about 30kg difference with my outfit to detect a really significant change.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The gauge was tested by either the magazines or one of the clubs some time ago. The problem is that the accuracy at the jockey wheel depends on the distance from the axle and to the hitch. The weights needed quite a bit of recalculation with a longer caravan, so on that basis I would not use the jockey wheel as it can be more than a couple of kilos out. The difference should not be enough to affect the handling in most cases but it might leave you with an illegal outfit.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The gauge was tested by either the magazines or one of the clubs some time ago. The problem is that the accuracy at the jockey wheel depends on the distance from the axle and to the hitch. The weights needed quite a bit of recalculation with a longer caravan, so on that basis I would not use the jockey wheel as it can be more than a couple of kilos out. The difference should not be enough to affect the handling in most cases but it might leave you with an illegal outfit.

Actually, as the distance from the coupling to the jockey wheel is more or less constant regardless of the length of the caravan, any inaccuracy of a jockey wheel noseweight gauge will be proportionately less for a long caravan than for a short one.

Besides, exceeding the noseweight limit is not an offence as such. It only a matter of product liability. It would only be an offence if it also leads to the rear axle load of the towing vehicle being exceeded, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

We use a calibrated Milenco nose weight gauge that can read up to 400kg as our nose weight is around 140kg.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Actually, as the distance from the coupling to the jockey wheel is more or less constant regardless of the length of the caravan, any inaccuracy of a jockey wheel noseweight gauge will be less for a long caravan than for a short one.

Besides, exceeding the noseweight limit is not an offence as such. It only a matter of product liability. It would only be an offence if it also leads to the rear axle load of the towing vehicle being exceeded, as well.
I would guess that the offence that would be used by a police force would be related to a "dangerous load" etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts