Nose weights - posted in 'Technical' by mistake

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Have recently bought a nose weight gauge and used it for the first time last night. I've owned a Bailey Ranger 500 for around 4 months and think i'm right in saying the nose weight is 75kg. When trying out the gauge last night I found it practically impossible to get the weight anywhere near 75kg without placing awning etc to the back of the van which I thought was a total no-no!

With the van partly laden and everything over the axle I found I had to remove the gas bottles to get around 85kg and then the only item left in the front locker was the spare wheel which I obviously don't want to remove.

Could anyone enlighten me as to the best way to load the van as the last time I took it out I thought it towed great even though it was obviously way over the recommended limit without me knowing.

Jul 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Crispy

Had the same trouble with my van (swift) so its not only yours,

tried every thing you have done with no result. I went down the route of correcting the tow car with spring assisters to correct pitching, They only helped a bit and I wouldnt wast my money on them again. The only option I had was to buy a new car with a bigger nose wieght. Now its great to tow dont even no its there.

Not much help but your not on your own

Regards

Dan

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for response Dan. I drive a Sorrento so know the car can pretty much cope with whatever I throw at it but i'm puzzled how Bailey can quote that figure when it seems virtually impossible to achieve it.

Jul 6, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for response Dan. I drive a Sorrento so know the car can pretty much cope with whatever I throw at it but i'm puzzled how Bailey can quote that figure when it seems virtually impossible to achieve it.
Hi again.

Thats what I upgraded to, I have not used the nose wieght gauge since I bought the new car. I get the impresion though that others dont care,when we are on site we are always amazed how much stuff everyone else crams in ther front lockers.It can not help matters

Cheers Dan

Jun 26, 2006
Visit site
New to caravanning I recently checked my noseweight for the first time having asked the dealer to check it on delivery (read just over 80kg). To my horror it was well over 100kg - in fact off the scale even though I thought I had added little since it was first measured. Like you I ended up pretty much emptying the front locker to get a reasonable noseweight - aiming for 80-90kg as my car will take 100kg. However wanting to confirm the reading I used the bathroom scales and a appropriately cut down stake and discovered that the noseweight gauge was itself very inaccurate.

The message being - don't take a single reading for granted especially if it does seem to be unexpectedly high.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi crispy ,i would take the spare wheel out of the front locker and have it slung under the van ,and load your heavy gear just a touch behind the axle .i wouldnt worry about being spot on the designers allow a good tollerance either way with there stresses & strains ,in all the years i have been caravanning i have never seen any body check there nose weight or there tyre pressures before they leave the site ,all they ever seem to do is talk about it ,especially on this forum ,i was on a site about a month ago and i when i looked at quite a few of the vans i thought they had just arrived from Iraq, or the Beverley hill billy's had just moved in ,im glad i wasnt near them as they were playing football all the time ,i counted ten hits of other caravans in 15 mins ,they wasnt kids they ranged from about 20 - 30

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Crispy,

I am sorry to have to voice a note of caution, Your gas bottles must be secures in the spaces provided - for safety. Theu must always be stored transported adn used in the uprighht position.

Ontrary to Joby's suggestion that it is alright to exceed the stated limit for the towbar load, IT IS ILLEGAL, and will invalidate your insurance. Two offences straight away = 6 points on your licence.

If weight is still an issue, take only one gas bottle, and be prepared to change it whilst away. Spare wheel carriers are available to sling it under the chassis just behind the axle.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Crispy

I got a nose weight gauge which I have only used one time as the fist time I used it the caravan did not fill safe when I was pull it so I went back to how I used to lowed the caravan when I fist got.

One other thing in one of there's forums there a bit on weight gauge which say they can be out by 20kg. Which when you thick about it only a spring in a tube with a cap on the end a sicker with kg on it. It also say that you can use a set of bathroom scales to do the job with a bit of wood on top to stop them get damage.

And John is right your gas bottles must be secures as well. Believe me I seen what can happen with gas bottles if they get damage.

Mark

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi all, thanks for replies. Have been away with the van this weekend and found it towed better than ever before. We got the nose weight to around 80 - 85kg in the end with spare wheel and gas bottle in the front locker and made sure everything was over the axle. The van didn't twitch an inch and felt very stable. Think I may have finally cracked it!!

One other thing I must mention is that the Sorrento towed like a dream, even passing cars on a very steep inclined dual carriageway and no I wasn't speeding!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts