not allowed to tow yet

Jun 21, 2005
Visit site
hi all i only passed my driving test a couple of yrs ago and im hoping to take out our foldout camper, where can i get a licence to tow solo plz help

flissie :)

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
You don't need any special licence.

I thought I was in this sitution too, but when I looked into it I found that you are allowed to tow an un-braked trailer up to 750KG and a braked trailer up to 100% of your cars kerbweight providing the total weight of car + trailer does not exceed 3500KG

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Melissa, I'm sure you can already tow with the licence you have. To check the details see the Home page / towing law / licences for details of your entitlement.

Jun 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi ty i can tow but nothing bigger than a shoe box tbh as my licence wont cover me 4 nething bigger, i hav to do a test. I will check out the dvla n see where i go from there

ty again

Flissie

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't know where you get the idea from that you can only tow a shoe box unless you pass the test for a B&E licence. You may now drive a car/caravan combination weighing up to 3500kg so long as the caravan doesn't weigh more than the kerbweight of the car. Assuming an average car sort of car with a kerbweight of about 1200kg and fully loaded about 1650kg, you could legally tow a decent sized caravan of up to 1200kg and still meet both criteria. If you stick to the recommended 85% of the car's kerbweight as your limit rather than the legal maximum, the caravan would weigh 1020kg and you'd have an even bigger margin.

TRENDING THREADS