Not happy with repair job

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Like an idiot I managed to catch the back end of our 2008 swift on a gate, in my defence I think the gate closed on the van as I went through.

Anyway the van ended up with two large gouges, about 12 inches long at the top left of the side wall.

A few weeks on after an insurance claim to pay for the repairs, the gouges have been filled and the whole area being re-sprayed.

Now here’s where I need some advice, so far I’ve refused to sign off on the repair as I was working on the assumption an insurance funded repair would be invisible.

To my eye at least it obvious that a repair had taken place. There’s a ripple in the panel where the gouges were that when casts a shadow on the panel, it makes it look like the repair paint job doesn’t match the original but I think it’s just down to the way the light reflects off the surface of the van.

Appreciate anyone thoughts on this, am I being too picky or should I expected the repair job to be invisible.

Thanks

Gavin

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gavin
Husband had a similar disagreement with a tall gate when towing our caravan a couple of years ago, resulting in three 1/4" deep, 12" long scratches/gouges (apparently.....I never actually saw them, couldn't bear to look). Our supplying dealer, Broad Lane Daventry (now Venture Caravans) did the repairs. They did an excellent job, the repairs were completely (and I mean totally) invisible, I could not tell where the gouges had been.....and believe me, I looked hard!
smiley-wink.gif

I guess it's possible that what your caravan walls are made of may perhaps have some bearing on how visible (or not) the repairs are. Don't know what ours were made of, but it was a 2007 Adria T/A if that helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gavin,

Sorry to read of the mishap.

If you are unhappy with repairs then do not sign it off.

You will need to read the terms and conditions that came with your insurance policy which should define the nature and quality of any repairs. Some policies may limit the value of repairs, and some may limit the quality to "a serviceable condition, its all down to the wording.

However if no description or limitation is set out in the Terms and conditions, then you have the right to expect an invisible repair. The crux being the condition being recovered to the condition of the item if the incident had not occurred.

It is unlikely that a new for old policy would repair the damage to as new, as that would be out of keeping with the rest of the caravan.

If you feel the repairs have not been carried out to the standard as defined in your policy, then you can challenge the repairs, but not with the repairing agent as they are under contract to the insurers (not you) You need to take it up with the insurance company. Its not in the insurer's interests to allow sub standards work, so they should be interested in what you say.

Express your dissatisfaction and ask them to arrange for an assessor to visit the job. You could of course get a second professional opinion to add weight to your side of the argument. but that will cost you.

As with any other retail contract you have rights, and if you still feel you are not being fairly treated then seek advice from Trading Standards, and or Consumer Direct. You may have a case to take it to the insurance ombudsman.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts