Nothing to do with caravans....

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Nothing to do with caravans butI 'm hoping to pick someone's brains.

My oven at home has a drop down door which is not closing properly anymore. It flips back up but to get my yorkshire puddings to rise someone has to stand with their back to the worktop and foot on the oven door to keep it tightly closed.

On first glance there appears to be no way to get at the hinges to replace them or anything - before I go to the expense of buying a new oven, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
No sprocket,

Got as far as getting the door off and the hinge bits seem to snap back quite ferociously. When the door is put back on and closed its about 1cm open so the door is nowhere near the seal.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
It is a Stoves 600mm electric fan oven I think. There just seems to be no way to get to the hinges to try and adjust. Unfortunately I can feel another oven coming on, shame as we've only had this one about 18 months.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Valerie,

The hinges on our drop down door have a small swivel up catch on the top of the hinge which you need to swivel into the up position in order to "lift" the door slightly & manouver the door & hinges out of the oven body you could try their website for infomation

http://www.stoves.co.uk

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Valerie

Spoken to my mate. Without seeing it he concludes that this model of oven is prone to premature hinge failure. Replacements are the only satisfactory option and not too expensive.

Depending on the exact type of hinge the materials cost can range from

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Val wrote .. It is a Stoves 600mm electric fan oven I think. There just seems to be no way to get to the hinges to try and adjust. Unfortunately I can feel another oven coming on, shame as we've only had this one about 18 months.

Surely if its undrer 2 years old it should be done under guarantee

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
only 12 months guarantee Rita. Sounds good Dustydog, will look into hinge replacement, unfortunately we are in Essex but thanks anyway, very helpful.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Valerie

More up John L's street but I think you will find most Judges in the Law Courts are not directly concerned with a manufacturers guarantee. They are more interested in the test of reasonableness. After all, as one Judge said on my behalf years ago; do Stoves have a sign above their goods in the showroom saying they ony last 12 months?? Of course they don't.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (As amended) says the goods supplied should be fit for purpose etc. That's not the case here.

I suggest you have a word with the supplier and Stoves and try and persuade a freebie fix.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Going off on a tangent slightly but what is the point of having an extended warrenty? There is the manufacturer's warrenty to cover initial teathing problems so why buy additional cover. What it tells me is that the retailer has no faith in the product they sell and it will not last more than a twelve month. Extended warrenties are only for a short period of time - maximum 4 years, and it is after this period that things may go wrong. Extended warrenties in my opinion are a total rip off.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Colin

In general I have to agree with you about extended warranties...however, we were "given" a 5 year warranty as part of a package deal when we bought the appliances for our new kitchen 7 years ago. In that time, the oven was the only thing to fail, and since has had 4 new fans and 3 heater elements. We keep paying the

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts