Novice

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
I am probably a newbie/novice caravanner as far as owning a touring caravan is concerned. The good lady has a sterling eccles jade 2 berth which is probably now more of a garden room than active tourer as I find it a bit small so we haven't used it as much as we could have. We have therefore agreed to look for a bigger caravan and I am shamelessly looking to mine what will no doubt be extensive and expert knowledge from all of you experienced caravanners on here so that I hope to reduce expensive rookie mistakes.
The choice of a new van has been influenced by the uncertainty of covid and my dislike of travelling by air like a battery hen.
The deal was further sweetened by the agreement that locations could include fishing for me to do, the Mrs happy with a book and gin.
Thanks in advance.(y)

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi and welcome. Good luck in your search for a caravan.
If fishing is your thing I can certainly recommend Sumners Ponds near Horsham in Sussex
5 lakes well stocked including a match lake. Some lakeside pitches (usually snapped up early in the season by anglers). Impressive sanitation block and a very good cafe/restaurant. Decent pub a few minutes walk too.
It’s our quick getaway site only 4 miles door to door and we’ve stayed there loads of times. .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. What car will you be using to tow a caravan as it has a significant bearing on the size\weight of caravan. If you can give details of make, model engine etc. Also do you know it’s towing specification. The makers plate often near the drivers B pillar will give figure fir maximum train weight, gross vehicle weight and front rear axle loads. Do you have a caravan in mind and lastly is your licence B or BE? Sounds a lot of questions but it really does help to know these when trying to give advise.

Good luck

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome Cammy, take your time, looking at different vans and layouts, We took over a year to decided on the correct one, surprisingly, I had noticed it before, but dismissed it as looking a bit tatty, but the dealer had a washing spree with all his vans and the Stirling Eccles Jewel , shone out to us, .
I agree with Tunningdrew, Summners ponds is a great site, I don't fish but the walks around the site are great as is the pub.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Hi and welcome. Good luck in your search for a caravan.
If fishing is your thing I can certainly recommend Sumners Ponds near Horsham in Sussex
5 lakes well stocked including a match lake. Some lakeside pitches (usually snapped up early in the season by anglers). Impressive sanitation block and a very good cafe/restaurant. Decent pub a few minutes walk too.
It’s our quick getaway site only 4 miles door to door and we’ve stayed there loads of times. .
Thanks Tuningdrew. I should have said we are in South West Scotland so it will be relatively local to start off with although local could be 70 odd miles to the west coast. Coarse fishing is about the one type of fishing I don't do.

• Haha
Reactions: Tuningdrew
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. What car will you be using to tow a caravan as it has a significant bearing on the size\weight of caravan. If you can give details of make, model engine etc. Also do you know it’s towing specification. The makers plate often near the drivers B pillar will give figure fir maximum train weight, gross vehicle weight and front rear axle loads. Do you have a caravan in mind and lastly is your licence B or BE? Sounds a lot of questions but it really does help to know these when trying to give advise.

Good luck
Thank you Otherclive. I ahve two options to tow and I am BE. I have a citreon berlingo, gutless even with Jade.
My other option that I use to collect my firewood with is a 99plate Range Rover HSE4.6 V8. So towing capacity not an issue with that. Fuel consumption yep, towing nope, reliability dubious.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Not sure what you are looking for but if you have specific questions then please ask.
There are plenty of nice sites along the Solway Coast,up the West Coast to Ayr, the Borders and the Lake District which should be within your reach. We do like the Solway Coast as an easy trip down from Glasgow.
I think the Berlingo will be too small for anything bigger than the Jade. The Range Rover will pull almost anything you can find, but at a cost.
Not sure whaen you passed your test, but if it was 1997 onwards you should be aware of the licence requirements. Unless you have passed the extra test to get B+E entitlement you are limited to towing a combination where the Maximum weight for the car plus MTPLM of the trailer together does not exceed 3,500 kg. The Berlingo is unlikely to be a problem there, but the Range Rover could be.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Welcome Cammy, take your time, looking at different vans and layouts, We took over a year to decided on the correct one, surprisingly, I had noticed it before, but dismissed it as looking a bit tatty, but the dealer had a washing spree with all his vans and the Stirling Eccles Jewel , shone out to us, .
I agree with Tunningdrew, Summners ponds is a great site, I don't fish but the walks around the site are great as is the pub.
Thanks Hutch. The mrs will go with whatever I am happy with, so that I will go. My current thought is 4 berth, side dinette probably seperate shower and that is about it so far.
Not so sure on a fixed bed, happy with front lounge as side dinette alows morning cup of tea without having to make bed.
I havd already been scanning and there seems to be plenty to choose from, now just about setting a budget really.
We have a couple of local dealers but choice is small because of that. I am in no particular rush as we this years big holiday sorted.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Not sure what you are looking for but if you have specific questions then please ask.
There are plenty of nice sites along the Solway Coast,up the West Coast to Ayr, the Borders and the Lake District which should be within your reach. We do like the Solway Coast as an easy trip down from Glasgow.
Thanks Raywood, yes plenty of options for sure. The good lady already has a list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts