Number Plates

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

I am due to, at last, take delivery of our first van, and realise I will need to have a Number Plate fitted to it. My question is, do I have to buy this, or can my dealer, Glossop Caravans purchase it, and fit it for me. I will also require a spare plate to site at our storage point, could this be a problem. I think that with the problem of cloning number plates, there is some legislation covering the purchase of new or replacement plates, appreciate any clarification you can give me.

Best regards,

George.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
George

I order my caravan last February and hope to take delivery in June

We discussed the issue of a number plate with the supplier who said he would fit it but before he could make up the plate I had to send him by E-Mail a copy of my V5 registration proving that I owned the car to which the registration belong.

Further more I purchased a number plate surround which allows me to remove the number plate and slot in another at any time.

Not that I really need it but it does allow for me not having to drill the plate should I change the towing vehicle or the registration or whatever hope the above helps

John

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
I would have thought you would have got one free with your new van. To make you pay is a bit mean! Our new van came with one but I had to show the dealer my V5 before hand.

As far as getting an additional one, provided if don't need it for road use you can get one made up off mail order (ie find someone off the internet) without having to send them your V5. I believe that now the numberplate maker must put their postcode on any plate they make up (now a legal requirement)and it shows they have checked it against your V5. However if you don't intend to use the plates on the road you can get them to make you up what they call "Show Plates" without sight of the V5. These are not legal to use driving around but fine for what you intend to use them for.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We recently took delivery of a new caravan from Glossops. They were happy to supply a number plate but would need to see your Log Book.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello All,

Thanks for all these comprehensive idea's and comments. I have e-mailed Glossop with a scanned copy of the V5C Registration Certificate for my car, requesting them to organise it for me.

Best regards,

George

ps Sproket I think you should consider changing your name to 'Linkman' although I am sure the original refers to your work experience, in any case they are extremely helpful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts