O Rings - Read The Small Print

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Had reason to pop into Lidl today and as you do I wandered up the middle if Lidl and found these
O Rings.jpg

Got them home feeling proud as punch for £2.99, thought they would come in handy for water pump etc.

Then I Read; NOT SUITABLE FOR FOOD OR DRINKING WATER PIPES

Now a question, on the water pump I'm guessing the O ring actually touches the pump and the body so does the O ring actually come into contact with the water, if so probably so minimal it wouldnt really matter.

Come on folks what are your thoughts :unsure:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Only useless if you drink the water direct from the caravan system. Something I personally wouldnt do. We carry a small food grade jerry can with tap for drinking water.

Reactions: Gagakev
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The possible problem is some different types of material used for "O" rings may have chemicals that are harmful to mammals so they should not be used for sealing food or water for consumption. (the same applies to hoses for filling water containers etc.

There are other problems when considering "O" rings for use with LPG for example, Most natural rubbers and some artificial ones will be dissolved by petroleum products like LPG.

Some are temperature sensitive, or may react when in contact with other materials like plastics.

Always replace "O" rings with ones of the correct type

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Each to their own when it comes to drinking water from the caravan system. As I said, its just a personal thing with me. But then again, I dont drink much water :LOL:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We take our empty mineral water bottles to fill up with drinking water at the site tap.
We use the onboard caravan system for showering and washing up.
I've seen the black sludge that can build up in caravan pipework 🤢

Reactions: Thingy and Gagakev
Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Had a similar box for years, used 'em on any application I've needed. They're not going to dissolve or disappear in water. Seen 'dozens' of folks using non food grade hoses on serviced pitches, I've never heard of any one being poisoned, Including us. But every manufacturer tries to cover their 'butts' nowadays!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Actually we also dont drink the water from the van, only tonight the OH returned from her weekly shop with 2 x 5 litre bottles of water, of which we will use the water then use the bottles for topping up from site tap.
Away this time next week if all goes well.

Reactions: Parksy and Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Actually we also dont drink the water from the van, only tonight the OH returned from her weekly shop with 2 x 5 litre bottles of water, of which we will use the water then use the bottles for topping up from site tap.
Away this time next week if all goes well.
The water at Polmanter is cold and potable Kevin, and Tesco, Sainsbury's etc are not far away in Penzance
Turn right out of the site and left at the pub and follow the road as far as you can go to the T junction on the main road.
Turn left and you'll come to the supermarkets.
The road to Penzance is a bit twisty and narrow in places, but the view of the bay from lay by at the top of Nancledra is stunning.
There's a great view of St Michael's Mount from the upstairs cafe in Sainsbury's as well. Their cottage pie in the cafe is nice as well. 😊

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Had a similar box for years, used 'em on any application I've needed. They're not going to dissolve or disappear in water. Seen 'dozens' of folks using non food grade hoses on serviced pitches, I've never heard of any one being poisoned, Including us. But every manufacturer tries to cover their 'butts' nowadays!
You probably will not get sick if using non food grade hoses, but tea tastes awful. I wonder if the pipes to the mains tap are food grade pipes? :D

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I've never heard of any one being poisoned, Including us

Do any of us know what particular bit of carcinogen we or ours picked up at some time during our lives, seeded our cancers?

With the knowledge base we are developing, some of us feel it makes sense to take the message that brings, on board.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Do any of us know what particular bit of carcinogen we or ours picked up at some time during our lives, seeded our cancers?

With the knowledge base we are developing, some of us feel it makes sense to take the message that brings, on board.
So true there, JTQ, asbestoes in wheel brakes, different substances in oils and greases, packing wheel bearings by hand , no gloves, being in the exhaust fumes of cars and aircraft, using chromate paint and jointing compounds without gloves. At 69, I don't think I will worry about the O rings on my Truma connectors.
I don't go foraging as I don't know what are safe mushrooms.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
New Nitrile O ring225 pieces from Screwfix for my water tap bathroom says”Nitrile rings resist heat, most petroleum and silicone fluids and hydraulic and non aromatic fuels.”
Fitted today and no worries. Looking at the engineering the amount of ring contact with the water is negligible. As a kid all our mains water pipes were lead🤪🤪. Like some of the Covid vaccines , I have more chance being squashed by a London red bus on Ben Nevis.........

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We take our empty mineral water bottles to fill up with drinking water at the site tap.
We use the onboard caravan system for showering and washing up.
I've seen the black sludge that can build up in caravan pipework 🤢
Another one for filling the empty bottles and kettle at the site tap .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts