Observations from recent trip away.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here at Abbey Wood under a very big oak tree. Yes the rain certainly shifts those acorns. All part of the outdoor experience for us though. Our caravan is very much an all year round thing though, would not even think of winterising it. Off to Devon in November. No, I would not even consider using even our small porch awning in winter though, would be madness. I think it is necessary to cut the cloth according to the weather. On the plus side lovely day walking Greenwich and the Isle of Dogs to Canary Wharf yesterday in the sun. Today will hitch up in the pissing rain bombarded by wet acorns. All part of life's rich tapestry

Steve
Always took the porch awning in winter as with three of us and two dogs the “shed” was invaluable for depositing jackets, boots, dog paraphernalia, any of which could be wet. It wasn’t a problems dropping a wet awning I just bundled it into the roof box. Then at home it would be spread out in the garage before final drying in one of the bedrooms. It was also nice to sit out in it with a quite glass or two.

Reactions: SteveW
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Always took the porch awning in winter as with three of us and two dogs the “shed” was invaluable for depositing jackets, boots, dog paraphernalia, any of which could be wet. It wasn’t a problems dropping a wet awning I just bundled it into the roof box. Then at home it would be spread out in the garage before final drying in one of the bedrooms. It was also nice to sit out in it with a quite glass or two.
We certainly have had to deal with a wet awning even in summer! The thing seems to follow you round for days after the trip. Think I'm just to lazy by nature to be bothered. S

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I nearly always take the awning down a dry day before leaving, small air porch awning, yes not great for snow collapses easily but throw the snow off and it's fine for the coats and dogs bed during the day 20 minutes to put up And the same to take down.never bothered to dry it out if damp now over 7 years old
Sorry no pictures

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I nearly always take the awning down a dry day before leaving, small air porch awning, yes not great for snow collapses easily but throw the snow off and it's fine for the coats and dogs bed during the day 20 minutes to put up And the same to take down.never bothered to dry it out if damp now over 7 years ago.
Sorry no pictures

Hutch
We always did/do the same, down day before,BUT when it rained everyday there was never a dry day so stayed up till departure day

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hutch
We always did/do the same, down day before,BUT when it rained everyday there was never a dry day so stayed up till departure day
We always took our porch awning down the day before leaving it made it so easier for us

Last edited:
May 11, 2021
Visit site
We always took our porch awning down the day before leaving it made it so easier for us
Same here - when you want/have to be gone by 10am it removes a lot of effort from the departure day.

Last week we had to take it down when still a bit damp - luckily there was a dry day at home a few days alter so we just pitched it on the caravan on the front drive and let it dry. We used to have a large trampoline in the garden with a protective net around it - this was a great structure to hang large times from for drying but it was recently decommissioned with mixed feelings; more space in the garden and less unsightly, but nowhere to hang a wet awning, groundsheet or whatever.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Same here - when you want/have to be gone by 10am it removes a lot of effort from the departure day.

Last week we had to take it down when still a bit damp - luckily there was a dry day at home a few days alter so we just pitched it on the caravan on the front drive and let it dry. We used to have a large trampoline in the garden with a protective net around it - this was a great structure to hang large times from for drying but it was recently decommissioned with mixed feelings; more space in the garden and less unsightly, but nowhere to hang a wet awning, groundsheet or whatever.
If our awning was damp we would spread it out in the garage and when dry fold it back up, it be ready for our next trip

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sadly my garage is too full of bicycles, a trailer and a motorcycle.
Prior to selling our caravan we were able to do this with a damp awning, but since then the contents of the van is now in the garage taking up the space which was empty. Hoping to deal with this before the start of the new season next year, until then we just have to wait.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Couple of weeks ago I had a sleepless night under acorn tree and pouring with rain for hours, what with the drumming of rain and what seemed to be branches falling down on top of caravan. I n the morning opened up the the large vent to find no branches but acorns on the roof. To claryfy all the pitches have trees above them.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
I have one to add.........when pitching in front of trees on your first ever trip........ make sure ALL squirrels have been removed, in particular those in the vicinity of your caravan........otherwise you may be bombarded all night by the 633 squadron of squirrels dropping "Acorn bombs" on your caravan roof!!!

Steve

• Haha
Reactions: Mel and Hutch
Jan 26, 2023
Visit site
1) When arriving on site DONT pitch under a massive over hanging tree.
The rain was relentless on the caravan roof, and when it stopped raining the bomb barding drips
from the tree kept on going and going, hardly any sleep was enjoyed.
2) Do not set up the new awning when it has not been waterproofed unless you want to shower inside the awning!! Nox Vidmate VLC
3) Simples one this one, do not set up the awning when you know it will have to be taken down wet
4) DO have spare clothes ready to change into before leaving, I did this as the awning got me soaking wet
5)Do not have the heating up at a comfortable level when in the van, because when you get home the heating is currently turned off!!

And lastly the above wont be a problem if I do the following.....................................

6) Check weather forecast 3 days before leaving home, any possibility of rain dont go!!
(May never ever get away then though)

Happy caravanning folks, putting the Crusader to bed at the weekend for the winter period!!!!
Do have sufficient Prosecco ( insert tipple of your choice here) on board and then none of the above matter a jot.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mel and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts