Observations from recent trip away.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
1) When arriving on site DONT pitch under a massive over hanging tree.
The rain was relentless on the caravan roof, and when it stopped raining the bomb barding drips
from the tree kept on going and going, hardly any sleep was enjoyed.
2) Do not set up the new awning when it has not been waterproofed unless you want to shower inside the awning!!
3) Simples one this one, do not set up the awning when you know it will have to be taken down wet
4) DO have spare clothes ready to change into before leaving, I did this as the awning got me soaking wet
5)Do not have the heating up at a comfortable level when in the van, because when you get home the heating is currently turned off!!

And lastly the above wont be a problem if I do the following.....................................

6) Check weather forecast 3 days before leaving home, any possibility of rain dont go!!
(May never ever get away then though)

Happy caravanning folks, putting the Crusader to bed at the weekend for the winter period!!!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The rain was relentless on the caravan roof, and when it stopped raining the bomb barding drips
2) Do not set up the new awning when it has not been waterproofed unless you want to shower inside the awning!!
3) Simples one this one, do not set up the awning when you know it will have to be taken down wet
4) DO have spare clothes ready to change into before leaving, I did this as the awning got me soaking wet
5)Do not have the heating up at a comfortable level when in the van, because when you get home the heating is currently turned off!!

And lastly the above wont be a problem if I do the following.....................................

6) Check weather forecast 3 days before leaving home, any possibility of rain dont go!!

Happy caravanning folks, putting the Crusader to bed at the weekend for the winter period!!!!
Well you are The Woosie Rain God. 🌨️🌨️🌨️

• Haha
Reactions: Gagakev
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site

No.1 brings back unpleasant memories.
We were staying on the Chertsey CCC site a few years back. For those who don't know it, it's a wooded site with large mature trees on the banks of the River Thames. Due to the risk of flooding there is a site rule which states that no caravan or M.H. can be left unattended overnight and a towing vehicle must always be readily available. We were pitched under a large oak tree when Storm Aileen struck. The sound of the wind and raindrops was deafening but worse was the sound of twigs and small branches falling on the caravan roof as well. Coupled with the knowledge that at any moment we may have to evacuate quickly resulted in very little sleep too.
How we got away without any damage I don't know.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had to move pitch from under a lovely oak tree one autumn when at The Old Brick Kilns in Norfolk. Acorns kept dropping on the roof with unrelenting regularity.

May 10, 2020
Visit site

Not sure about a new awning not being waterproof unless it’s the older canvas type that needs “weathering “ first.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Hi Kev when we brought any new awning we always put Fabsil on so it was fully waterproof so next season you will know

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kev when we brought any new awning we always put Fabsil on so it was fully waterproof so next season you will know
Never even thought about doing that, but I have never had a new awning leak. If it as going to leak the most likely spots are where there are stitched joins, and fabsil wouldn’t really help those areas as it requires the material to expand under moisture.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Never even thought about doing that, but I have never had a new awning leak. If it as going to leak the most likely spots are where there are stitched joins, and fabsil wouldn’t really help those areas as it requires the material to expand under moisture.
Hi clive well in all the time we have been caravanning never had a leak through the stitched joins the fabsil must have done a great job, and no problems selling the awnings over the years

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi clive well in all the time we have been caravanning never had a leak through the stitched joins the fabsil must have done a great job, and no problems selling the awnings over the years
How do you know that if the first thing you do is spray the new awning with fabsil. The awning is quite likely not to have leaked in the first place; so you could have saved time and money whilst also enhancing your green credentials 😀 What does selling the awning have to do with the price of bread ? You can’t demonstrate that it doesn’t leak to a prospective buyer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

I’m getting worried about you Kev🤪

That has to be one of the most coherent intelligent script I’ve read on here in ages. So good in fact I think PCv should print it in the magazine. 👍👍

Clearly the Buckfast juice is working wonders for you.

Awning wise my years ago new Isabella, needed rainwater to swell the sewn joints. After that she remained water tight for years.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
How do you know that if the first thing you do is spray the new awning with fabsil. The awning is quite likely not to have leaked in the first place; so you could have saved time and money whilst also enhancing your green credentials 😀 What does selling the awning have to do with the price of bread ? You can’t demonstrate that it doesn’t leak to a prospective buyer.
Maybe so but my dad recommended me the spray and when we sold our awnings we did not lose much so i am a very happy bunny

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The try not to pitch under trees is worthwhile, we know the problem. But if you do, try to avoid one with a birds nest in it as the mess on the outfit may be a bigger problem.
Buy a second hand awning as then it has been sorted, well hopefully.
If you can live without an awning don't take one. If you take one, take it down the night before you go.
If you cannot stand the rain there is no point going anywhere, certainly not here in Scotland.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I'll try and answer all your replies in one post.
The awning is the same make as previous one, Kampa Poled brand.
Had the last one 11 years with no problems, bit of condensation occasionally, but I did treat it with Fabsil in he beginning. It withstood gales, and torrential downpours.
But on purchasing this new one I thought in this day and age it should be waterproof, think I read it and assumed it would just need weather proofing, that's why I did'nt seal it.
In a dilemma now, do I risk using it again and hope its sealed itself or do I seal it with fabsil?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kev ,
my Kampa Rallye Air awning, not used much, needed a ceiling liner to stop the condensation dripping rather than leaking

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Only had one new awning which was a Dorema and never leaked a drop, I would be annoyed if I bought a new awning and the first thing I had to do was waterproof it.

As for trees we learned the same way, and try and avoid them, apart from the noise the dirt ! However this summer its been saharan dust making it dirty.

Lastly we watch the forecast, and try and pack away early if rain is possible, if not its a right pain drying it at home.

However we've now.moved to a Fiamma caravanstore which is so much easier than a conventional awning.

Reactions: otherclive
May 10, 2020
Visit site
Regarding new awnings or any tent and canopy for that matter when it comes to water proof properties. Awnings and the like are rated by “hydrostatic head” which denotes how much water pressure they will stand before leaking. This data will be available for (at least) new awnings . A check on your awnings specs will clarify what this is. If your new awning is leaking then it’s probably faulty and not fit for purpose.
Using a waterproof treatment on a new awning will render any guarantee void.
This applies to the later acrylic type awnings canvas ones being a different animal.
Don’t mistake condensation drip for rain ingress.
Hope this helps my advice would be to goggle hydrostatic head to help understand things a bit better.
My best regards
R

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Regarding new awnings or any tent and canopy for that matter when it comes to water proof properties. Awnings and the like are rated by “hydrostatic head” which denotes how much water pressure they will stand before leaking. This data will be available for (at least) new awnings . A check on your awnings specs will clarify what this is. If your new awning is leaking then it’s probably faulty and not fit for purpose.
Using a waterproof treatment on a new awning will render any guarantee void.
This applies to the later acrylic type awnings canvas ones being a different animal.
Don’t mistake condensation drip for rain ingress.
Hope this helps my advice would be to goggle hydrostatic head to help understand things a bit better.
My best regards
R
3000mm hydrostatic head would be the minimum for a lightweight awning, with at least 5000 mm being preferable based on tent requirements. The more heavyweight awnings have a waterproof layer (Dorema Tencate) on the roof and sides (all season) that is neigh on impermeable. For those Dorema do not specify a hh figure.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll try and answer all your replies in one post.
The awning is the same make as previous one, Kampa Poled brand.
Had the last one 11 years with no problems, bit of condensation occasionally, but I did treat it with Fabsil in he beginning. It withstood gales, and torrential downpours.
But on purchasing this new one I thought in this day and age it should be waterproof, think I read it and assumed it would just need weather proofing, that's why I did'nt seal it.
In a dilemma now, do I risk using it again and hope its sealed itself or do I seal it with fabsil?
Hi Kev i would reseal with fabsil and try a ceiling liner for the condensation we brought one for ours it was better

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
if it is a new new awning and it leaks, send it back
My guess is that it's condensation which seems to be the plague of modern awnings.
Our 14 year old Isabella we have had from new, never leaks and never had to reproof it. Also never had a condensation issue with it despite it being used in all seasons.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments and would just like to say I think I am old enough to know the difference between a bit of condensation and a leaky awning.;)

So.................. IT NEVER RAINS IT POURS.

Now picture this, to dry the awning out I attached some figure 8 channel to my shed in the garden, lovely, slid said awning in, set it up and left to dry, this took two days due to weather conditions.
So last night rushed home from work before it got dark as it had been dry all day and the awning at last was dry to pack away, undid guy rope's took out the poles and started to slide the awning out of the channel, big smile on my face UNTIL I heard a RIP, only went and snagged the awning on top of shed door:cry:
Luckily it was only a 3inch (75mm) rip on the flap inside the awning which protect's the pad which goes against the van, so wont affect the use of it, BUT looks like I wont be able to return it now!!

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Here at Abbey Wood under a very big oak tree. Yes the rain certainly shifts those acorns. All part of the outdoor experience for us though. Our caravan is very much an all year round thing though, would not even think of winterising it. Off to Devon in November. No, I would not even consider using even our small porch awning in winter though, would be madness. I think it is necessary to cut the cloth according to the weather. On the plus side lovely day walking Greenwich and the Isle of Dogs to Canary Wharf yesterday in the sun. Today will hitch up in the pissing rain bombarded by wet acorns. All part of life's rich tapestry

Steve

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Here at Abbey Wood under a very big oak tree. Yes the rain certainly shifts those acorns. All part of the outdoor experience for us though. Our caravan is very much an all year round thing though, would not even think of winterising it. Off to Devon in November. No, I would not even consider using even our small porch awning in winter though, would be madness. I think it is necessary to cut the cloth according to the weather. On the plus side lovely day walking Greenwich and the Isle of Dogs to Canary Wharf yesterday in the sun. Today will hitch up in the pissing rain bombarded by wet acorns. All part of life's rich tapestry

Steve
Hi Steve i am pleased you had a nice break safe journey home

Reactions: SteveW

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts