October in Spain

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
We are travelling to Spain in October and hope to go from Santander to the Algarve. We have 2 dogs with us so we need to pay the necessary visit to a vet on our return. I have managed to find a vet in Santander that would see us on the Sunday 26th October before we sail on the Monday, but we are having great trouble finding any site that is open this late in the year. Can anyone offer any advice on either a site in this area or a Vet they have used somewhere else please??

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sandra

We have just had a similar experience looking for Vets open on Sunday for the Monday Sailing from Santander and like you we have two dogs. Our experience was that Vets in the Ferry area were quite expensive, having a captive audience as it were, adding a further 30 - 50 euros for opening on Sunday on top of 22 euros per dog for the consultation. Fortunately we were able to have our pre-embarkation check up and treatment done at the local vet near where we were staying (We were just south of Cadiz) on a Saturday MORNING. It's well worth asking locally, do it well in advance of sailing, as some Vets are willing to 'stamp' your passports with a post-dated time. i.e. Our appointment was for 10.00 am but our passport was timed at 17.30hrs. The biggest suprise was the fee. 12 euros for TWO dogs, yes, that's right TWELVE euros. We supplied the treatments, but even so an amazing saving. Having said all that it's probably a good thing to keep the details of the Vet in Santander, as a back up, just in case you can't find one locally.

For a Campsite try www.cantabria.com/complejosantillana Animals accepted and near the medieval village of Santillana del Mar (well worth a visit)Open all year and about 25km from the Ferry. It's also a Camping Cheque site.

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi Vera and Brian, I have only just logged on and read your reply. I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me and I find your comments very useful. It is amazing how much you learn as you go along. What you say about the vets in the Ferry area is much as I expected. I in fact sent them an email to ask the price for a Sunday appointment at 1 o'clock which they offered me but they have not even replied. Anyway many thanx. Sandra

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts