Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Stayed at Dresdon site, we seem to be the only uk persons. What made me odd man out was I used the wastemaster and the others had plastic waste reaching over 20 m in some places. What also amazed us was what they carried in the front locker, one had umpteen plastic waste 40mm, others complete garden furniture.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes I noticed over my 6 years, of touring France, 4 weeks every 12 weeks all year round, (thanks to Mr Taxman. )The amount of "Stuff" they carried in their caravansI am sure the little Eribas are Tardis's, 4 bikes, awning, patio tables etc. A French friend asked me why I didn't load more things into our front locker. When I explained, he just shrugged and dragged me off to have a Pastis before we played Boules.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This advice discrepancy has been pointed out on many previous occasions, along with the observation that we don't see continental caravans scattered across the roads of the EU.

One suggestion is that continental caravan tend to have longer A frames, which might lead to more stable towing characteristics.

The most frequent suggested reason I have come across for the introduction of the UK industry advice which is currently 85% novice & 100% experienced, seems to relate to a spate of caravan incidents in the early days, and the Gov't threatening to make towing a caravan harder, unless the industry did something to improve the safety record. This story has come to me from several differnt sources but none of them could provide any names or other evidence to support it.

There is certainly no evidence in the public arena of why 85 and 100% were chosen or why kerbweight (which is a vague and un representative value) was chosen to form part of a calculation.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Watching Andrew Ditton's videos from Caravan Salon in Germany, you can see the vast Gas Lockers of the vans designed for the Mainland Europe market (Adria in this instance). Huge door aperture, spare wheel mounting, space for 2 gas bottles, and a waste water container.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have often wondered by British caravan manufacturers don't allow for a longer A frames on their caravans if it is supposed to help with stability. I think the A frame on our Buccaneer is a bit longer than normal as the shipping length is 8.16m.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is probably down to the fact we use ferries far more than others on the continent as if we visit another country we have to use one and length counts. UK buyers might look at his point as I can see no other reason. I do remember one caravan at 6.98 m overall length, which did make me wonder about that point.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It is probably down to the fact we use ferries far more than others on the continent as if we visit another country we have to use one and length counts. UK buyers might look at his point as I can see no other reason. I do remember one caravan at 6.98 m overall length, which did make me wonder about that point.
I don't think so, the majority of caravans stay in the UK, and probably 80% ( just a guess) do less than 1500 miles a year,.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts