Of course you can use an old car battery !

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Just come back from a 4-day festival, and the 18-year old knackered car battery managed to last the first 48 hours just fine, then handed over to it's much newer, bigger leisure battery - so don't let "experts" tell you it can't be done. I reckon that with a solar panel it could last all summer!

The long version - until 18 months ago, I've ALWAYS used an old car battery (not the same one) with a car charger and done just fine with it for 29 years - and during that time, often argued with "experts" who say it can't be done. The particular battery in this instance was bought new in 1996, a standard 72Ah Vauxhall battery to upgrade the OE 45Ah one in the family Nova which was increasingly being used by number one son who fitted a high power audio system which just sucked the volts out - it ran for 8 years like that, so don't believe car experts who tell you car batteries only last 3 years - so in 2004 it was relegated to the caravan where it served a further 9 years. The caravan onboard charger was switched off and a 3.6A CTEK used instead - mainly on sites with EHU, but a few without, and quite heavy motor-mover use - for which a car battery is better suited than a leisure battery as it's designed to cope with much higher current loads during starting. For the last 18 months, it's been relegated to a back-up spare - charged every month and pressed into service, more as an experiment this weekend than necessity as the current caravan battery was a new, but faulty (so free) 110Ah fully sealed leisure battery.

Since the mid-80s I've never used anything other than a fully-sealed battery with recombitant valves so no chance of topping up the fluid which I think accounts for much of the longevity - the use of a smart car charger probably accounts for the rest - I think it's a policy worthy of note for both cars and caravans

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can use a car battery, but it won't have the same long lasting capacity as a leisure battery and as you yourself have said you use a different charger.
Although this works even sealed batteries produce gas which needs to be vented and a stronger charger produces more gas and in a caravan may be a danger.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
After decades of using basic power suppy units in caravans, rather than proper chargers, which only gave 75-80% of rated capacity, most manufacturers now fit proper smart chargers in caravans.

Your point about ventilation is well made - fully-sealed batteries don't give off gas in normal use as they use recombitant gas chambers to prevent chemical loss - but like all batteries, they can and do go faulty and may then give of gases which need venting.

It should be noted that old-style car chargers will cause batteries to "gas off" once charged but this is avoided with smart chargers which change from 14.4v to 13.8v as the battery gets fully charged - 13.8v avoids "gassing off" in normal conditions.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I have a ten year old leisure battery bought from a caravan accessory shop cheap with a 2 year warranty, its got a name I cant remember.
It has never left the caravan except when changing caravans after the first 7 years, and is topped up if required with deionised water once a year.

The bailey on board chargers in both caravans were and are only single stage types giving out around 13.8 volts.

We always use EU, but the battery has 15 mins work working a 10 year old Reich mover.

The only time my leisure battery sees more than 13.8v is when its hooked up to the running car.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
RogerL said:
After decades of using basic power suppy units in caravans, rather than proper chargers, which only gave 75-80% of rated capacity, most manufacturers now fit proper smart chargers in caravans.

Your point about ventilation is well made - fully-sealed batteries don't give off gas in normal use as they use recombitant gas chambers to prevent chemical loss - but like all batteries, they can and do go faulty and may then give of gases which need venting.

It should be noted that old-style car chargers will cause batteries to "gas off" once charged but this is avoided with smart chargers which change from 14.4v to 13.8v as the battery gets fully charged - 13.8v avoids "gassing off" in normal conditions.

Caravan multistage chargers fitted to some caravans, some Swifts for example, have been known to fail to the higher voltage and boil the battery dry.

I can see an argument for caravaners off mains hook up to have a smart charger, but in my experience a standard fit charger is all that's required.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Xtrailman...... you are right your caravan battery must think it has gone to 'battery heaven'.

It being fed on a steady stream of 13.8 volts and never doing much work as the charger also shares its workload.
It gets a short bit of exercise when it powers the mover and gets a booster treat of 14.4 volts when the caravan is towed.
It should last for years.
Not all caravan batteries get such an easy life :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
and gets a booster treat of 14.4 volts when the caravan is towed.
The car alternator is no doubt putting out 14.4v but the resistance in the long cable run to the caravan battery, and back, creates "voltage drop" so there will be less volts at the caravan battery than at the car alternator.

The voltage drop is proportional to the cable distance and current but inversely proportional to the cable cross-sectional area - that's why I have a 140 amp Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR) by the car alternator and TWO 80 amp cables back to the car socket - neither the fridge or the battery charging circuit use more than about 10 amps but the over-sized cable reduces voltage drop considerably but doesn't eliminate it.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I have seen over 14 volts across the caravan battery using a 13 pin 26 foot extension lead, the lead is only for testing the caravan while its parked close up to our shed.

So I'm confident the battery gets a little more towing. That voltage was recorded using a single 3mm cable to supply the fridge and ATC/battery.

With the fridge elements now getting larger, mine is 135 watt, I've increased the cable size effectively by using a separate 3mm supply for the fridge, and another for the permanent supply.

I think going any larger in cable size gains very little, considering the caravan cabling and 13 pin connecting lead are on the small side to start with.

The last caravan battery I let go with a private caravan sale, it was 7 years old and still providing for my needs, letting it go helped the sale.

Has anyone had a caravan battery longer than ten years, just to give me some idea for when it needs replacing, I rely on the battery for the mover and parking up at home, using a car is not possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts