off side awning rail

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
We've seen lots of people in France with either sunshades on both sides, an awning on one side, and sunshade on the other, or awnings on both sides. The Dutch couple next to us last year had two awnings, one set up for the dog to live in, and the other for them!

MacHighlander makes a comment: do you no think it would be the wrong shape - I don't think awnings are shaped to fit either side. Most awnings are made by continental manufacturers and fit on what would be the 'wrong' side in this country - so fit just the same on the 'wrong' side of a British van. We have a 'wrong side' van and our normal, bought in Britain, awning fits perfectly.
I think MacHighlander means that the rail would be the wrong shape,not the actual awning.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
When our youngest daughter used to come with us to France she slept in a porch awning on the offside as we had a sun shade on the door side. It was a great arrangement (she thought) as she could sleep in without us disturbing her in the mornings.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We use it for a sun shade in France; we also use the one across the front for that as well. Using the shades makes a big difference to the comfort in the van.

Yes Bailey leaving it off the Pegasus [ probably Olympus to?] is a big omission in our view.

Don't buy the tooling cost argument for one moment as with the success of Alu-Tech sales wise they surely have sights set on a bigger market than just the UK? It's not as if it's an extrusion tooling cost its only a rail bending tool cost roof to front] as the same extrusion could fit either side; indeed they have increased cost by having the non awning one at all?
Easy, look on the outside surface of the corner extrusion, correct way up, and put the down bend in right hand end and it fits on the off side of the van.

Do the same but put the bend in the left hand end and low and behold it fits on the near side.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use it for a sun shade in France; we also use the one across the front for that as well. Using the shades makes a big difference to the comfort in the van.

Yes Bailey leaving it off the Pegasus [ probably Olympus to?] is a big omission in our view.

Don't buy the tooling cost argument for one moment as with the success of Alu-Tech sales wise they surely have sights set on a bigger market than just the UK? It's not as if it's an extrusion tooling cost its only a rail bending tool cost roof to front] as the same extrusion could fit either side; indeed they have increased cost by having the non awning one at all?
I wonder why Bailey should have talked about tooling costs if the extrusions are so easy to bend

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think MacHighlander means that the rail would be the wrong shape,not the actual awning.
thank you derek, well spotted , i was about to reply to the post when i noticed you aleady had picked up on it.no luck val, i was right again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts