ok, we've got the van - what else do we need?!

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
been scouring this forum cos i know there was a post here about what accessories you needed but cannot find it.

we pick up our new van (and 1st ever caravan) in 2 weeks...the van has with it - spare wheel/tv aerial/battery charger/aks stabiliser/hitchlock and motor mover.

what else do we need to buy to get us going?

please advise then we can compile a list and go and buy stuff this weekend.....thanks!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sarah

I am no pro but he's what you will need to think about

WATER ... aquaroll etc.. waste collector,has it got a pump??

TOILET..... chemicals blue for the cassete and pink to make it smell nice!

FOOD ... stuff thats easy I would suggest on your first trip i.e pasta.,tea coffee.

UTENSILS... plates,cups,knives forks etc...

MINI TOOL KIT...for any unforseen repairs!

Big bottle of wine and

DONT FORGET THE CORKSCREW !!!

I sure there are lots more you can collect but you will NEED all the above,especially the wine !!!!!

Have a great time,there will be lots of niggles but soon get ironed out

Be safe

Tina x

I really am going now, can hear the glasses chinking!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sarah

I am no pro but he's what you will need to think about

WATER ... aquaroll etc.. waste collector,has it got a pump??

TOILET..... chemicals blue for the cassete and pink to make it smell nice!

FOOD ... stuff thats easy I would suggest on your first trip i.e pasta.,tea coffee.

UTENSILS... plates,cups,knives forks etc...

MINI TOOL KIT...for any unforseen repairs!

Big bottle of wine and

DONT FORGET THE CORKSCREW !!!

I sure there are lots more you can collect but you will NEED all the above,especially the wine !!!!!

Have a great time,there will be lots of niggles but soon get ironed out

Be safe

Tina x

I really am going now, can hear the glasses chinking!
OOH forgot wheelclamp usually an insurance requirement !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
it has an onboard water tank...

thanks tina...im writing a list! cheers!
sarah,you'll still need an Aquaroll to get the water to the van, and some form of pump to get it from the Aquaroll into the tank.Bsaically, whatever you use at home, you'll probably use in the van, but bear in mind that there is a weight limit to what you can carry.I'd suggest a weekend not too far from home for the first trip, then you can pop back for the things you forgot,cos you will forget things,trust me!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To add to Tinas list are these items, they may, or may not be needed (depends on what you want to spend) and is not an exhaustive list.

Battery.

Awning.

Awning carpet.

Some sort of seating for outside (canvas fold ups are good and cheap).

Table for outside (again cheap fold up plastic table and chairs).

Plastic bucket.

Levelling ramps.

Hitch cover.

Feet for your corner steadies (useful on soft ground).

Hook-up cable if it doesn't come with one.

Wind breaks?

And many more.

What we try to do (over time) is to replicate items we would use in the house, items like tea towels, TV, vacuum/carpet cleaner and bed linen to leave in the van, that way you're not going to forget it on your next journey.

Oh and a pair of flip flops each for the visit to the site showers!

I defy you to not enjoy the life, it's a shame other things in life weren't as certain ;o)

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
thanks lol.

the flip flops are an excellent idea.

we have wind breaks from our camping days :)

do we need chocs? (i dont mean the edible variety!)

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
sarah,you'll still need an Aquaroll to get the water to the van, and some form of pump to get it from the Aquaroll into the tank.Bsaically, whatever you use at home, you'll probably use in the van, but bear in mind that there is a weight limit to what you can carry.I'd suggest a weekend not too far from home for the first trip, then you can pop back for the things you forgot,cos you will forget things,trust me!
oh, ok. ive added aqua roll and pump to the list thanks!

yeah - i agree, dont think we'll venture too far...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Never had to use chocs myself as I like a reasonably level pitch in the first place, but if you plan to visit more "out of the way" CL's they would be a good idea. If your not a member of one of the clubs, then join; Caravan Club seems to come out top from past comments.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You need some choc's for levelling, few bits of wood will do, and under corner steadies before you spend all your money before your hols.

For god sake remember the can and bottle opener.

Don't forget your Football :).

If you have not got a spare bottle of gas get one! You will run out when you least expect it.

You will need a filler hose for filling the aqua roll and a mains hose if you are to connect directly to the van.

Waste Water containers, one for kitchen and one for bathroom, the goses to go to them and hoses for same if you are on fully serviced pitches.

Remember the Oven cloths as well.

And don't forget your "sense of humour"

Haynes Caravan manual from everyones favourite - Halfords or many other good stores is worth having a read of.

Couple of good torches, for when you blow a fuse or some kid pulls your hok up out and you have a flat battery or some other little mishap comes along.

Chemical for toilet and toilet roll.

Clean water pipes before you go wit appropriate cleaner and the fit new filter.

Make sure you have a good number and selection of fuses for the van!

It's easy ;-)

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Never had to use chocs myself as I like a reasonably level pitch in the first place, but if you plan to visit more "out of the way" CL's they would be a good idea. If your not a member of one of the clubs, then join; Caravan Club seems to come out top from past comments.
already joined the caravan club.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You need some choc's for levelling, few bits of wood will do, and under corner steadies before you spend all your money before your hols.

If you have not got a spare bottle of gas get one! You will run out when you least expect it.

You will need a filler hose for filling the aqua roll and a mains hose if you are to connect directly to the van.

Waste Water containers, one for kitchen and one for bathroom, the goses to go to them and hoses for same if you are on fully serviced pitches.

Haynes Caravan manual from everyones favourite - Halfords or many other good stores is worth having a read of.

Couple of good torches, for when you blow a fuse or some kid pulls your hok up out and you have a flat battery or some other little mishap comes along.

It's easy ;-)
"hoses that go to them"

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site

It's easy ;-)
watch football..but dont play it!

ball wouldnt last 5 seconds with german shepherd dog's

big g'nashers.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Sarah.

Guess that the Bailey came with spare wheel, but make sure you have a jack suitable to use with the van if it did not come with one !!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a pump of some sort !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
check your breakdown recovery policy for car covers caravan or green flag ect will cover your van , dont forget take a spare sence of humour one of you is bound to lose theres , enjoy

Apr 8, 2006
Visit site
To add to Tinas list are these items, they may, or may not be needed (depends on what you want to spend) and is not an exhaustive list.

Battery.

Awning.

Awning carpet.

Some sort of seating for outside (canvas fold ups are good and cheap).

Table for outside (again cheap fold up plastic table and chairs).

Plastic bucket.

Levelling ramps.

Hitch cover.

Feet for your corner steadies (useful on soft ground).

Hook-up cable if it doesn't come with one.

Wind breaks?

And many more.

What we try to do (over time) is to replicate items we would use in the house, items like tea towels, TV, vacuum/carpet cleaner and bed linen to leave in the van, that way you're not going to forget it on your next journey.

Oh and a pair of flip flops each for the visit to the site showers!

I defy you to not enjoy the life, it's a shame other things in life weren't as certain ;o)
perhaps she can foget the plastic bucket, if she has a thetford toilet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts