Old age tyres

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Just thinking about the age of tyres, I have just recently changed 5 tyres on my 1996 motorhome, the ones that came off were DOT'd 1995.
They had plenty of thread, in fact the spare hadn't been used, and had passed MOT's.
We feel better having changed them, not too expensive either.
I read and article which says a good age to change them is 5 to 10 years, I was wondering what your and other readers thought about this matter. I don't think there is any legal requirement regards tyre age is there?
Also maybe something for buyers of pre-owned motor homes and caravans to consider?

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi

It's highly recommended that tyres should be renewed every 5 years here in Switzerland and definately not more that 10 years old in use. It's an expensive game, given that a set of winter tyres are obligatory here as of October till March or April. 4x Vanco Winter Tyres for my Flash 02 cost around £1000 balanced and mounted.

I wonder what the Swiss police would make of visiting Brits using summer tyres (i.e. normal UK) in the winter period? Never thought about it before.

Alan

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
this does need looking at, UK ideas/recommendations are similar to yours time scales wise, nothing legal yet.
There was a coach some time ago that crashed, 25 year old tyres, I assume they "go off" you can tell I'm not a tyre expert. We feel more secure with new boots on the van. Surprised the ministers at government haven't thought about it, probably have.

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Having come across a Fellow motorhomer just outside Bergerac stopped on the road with a shredded tyre (didn't help that he had an ineffective wrench and a Jack that did not fit his van!!!!) The side walls had exploded through the rubber tho' there was plenty of thread, made me check the dates on mine only to be unable to find any date on the rear two, Changed them Tout Suite and now feel a lot more comfortable.

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi
Posted this topic in a Swiss MH Forum and got some useful info back.

There is no actual Swiss law prescribing age of tyres or even the use of winter tyres in Switzerland. HOWEVER (!!!!), if one causes an accident and the condition of tyres or lack of winter tyres in adverse conditions is deemed to be a cause, then VERY HEAVY FINES and/or prosecution can follow. Several example cases are precendents.

That's the reason why most Swiss adhere to the not more than 10 years old and winter tyre suggestions. Something to think about if heading off for winter snow.

Regards

Alan

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
It's not worth taking any risks, I have just replaced two and the back two are dues replacing at the end of the year. One thing worth taking into account is the type of tyre. I found that two I replaced were van tyres and were not suitable for the psi recommend by my handbook, just fitted two camper tyres worth checking.

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just replaced 3 tyres, two on the front plus the spare that had a nearly full tread depth but was too old and not worth the risk. Got Tesco points with the deal from blackcircle and that helps pay for the tunnel for our winter trip to Spain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts