Old dog new tricks

Sep 2, 2018
Visit site
Having holidayed in a static for several summers, the outcome of buying a car with a detachable towbar was the purchase of a tourer.......2009 Adria Adora 642up, not much shorter than the summer static.A bit nose heavy?
Has given me the opportunity to spend some cash on accessories/bits/mantoys though..
Have already read many articles in the forum, so thank you for giving me info already so I don't appear the newbie that I am.
ps if the dog doesn't behave he will be hitched up to the van.... they are matched weightwise......seems that way when he pulls on the lead......

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi sandyides ,
Welcome to the forum ; theres plenty to read up on & if it's not there then just ask , someone is bound to know !!

Craig .

Sep 2, 2018
Visit site
take your pick from 1000w voltage invertor to smart charger to wi fi totally wire free reverse camera, since the tail is about 40' from where I'm sitting.....
haven't used any of them yet!
Reverse camera kit is smart plug'n play. cigar lighter 12v socket screen in the car and magnetic/sticky fish eye camera for the back end......

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
sandyides said:
take your pick from 1000w voltage invertor to smart charger to wi fi totally wire free reverse camera, since the tail is about 40' from where I'm sitting.....
haven't used any of them yet!
Reverse camera kit is smart plug'n play. cigar lighter 12v socket screen in the car and magnetic/sticky fish eye camera for the back end......

Hi sandyides,

Any links or suggestions for your setup?

Thanks.
Anseo

Sep 2, 2018
Visit site
that's a good question....... to use household 13 amp plugged items when I'm wild camping, remembering of course that I can only use low wattage items or the battery drains quickly.... saving buying new 12v straighteners etc.......

Sep 2, 2018
Visit site
I think the most useful item has been the collapsible bucket..... Useful for taking grey waste away when you have lost the cap from the waste unit down the drain the first time of use... And carrying dishes to the washing area..... And rinsing the dog down... No prizes for more suggestions.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
River for washing the dog, collapsible bucket, filled with cold water, placed in cool spot under caravan, full of beer in case the fridge is full. Simples. In case of fire, drink contents and throw remainder of bucket on the Ebay straighteners that started the fire in the first place.

In all honesty, with modern caravans, the most useful and necessary gadget is a multimeter, followed by a bottle of Gorilla Glue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sandyides,

I'm commenting concerning your suggestion of getting a 1kW inverter to run some domestic appliances whilst of grid. Have you really considered the consequences if trying to run 1Kw appliances from the caravan battery?

Let me put some figures for you to peruse:- ignoring things like power factors at this stage and looking just at pure resistive loads (Like hair straighteners) the power (Watts) can be calculated using a simple equation of Volts x Amps. this can be revised to work out the current an appliance will use by
Power(W) /Volts(V) = Current (A)

A 1000W applaince on mains will consume 1000/230 = 4.3A
Connect the same appliance to an inverter, its still 1000W but now it only being fed from a 12V source

1000/12 = 83A!!!

In practice that is going to put a huge strain on a caravan battery, and its going to discharge completely in about an hour.

If you want to use such high powered appliances, you would be best connecting the inverter to the car battery , and make sure the engine is running whilst the appliance is being used. This is for two reasons, firstly the car battery is better able to deliver these sorts of high currents compared to a caravan leisure battery, and secondly the the fact the car is running will help to carry some of the load on the alternator rather than the battery, and it will of course enable the car battery to be recharged when you have finished using the appliance.

Sep 2, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Sandyides,

I'm commenting concerning your suggestion of getting a 1kW inverter to run some domestic appliances whilst of grid. Have you really considered the consequences if trying to run 1Kw appliances from the caravan battery?

Let me put some figures for you to peruse:- ignoring things like power factors at this stage and looking just at pure resistive loads (Like hair straighteners) the power (Watts) can be calculated using a simple equation of Volts x Amps. this can be revised to work out the current an appliance will use by
Power(W) /Volts(V) = Current (A)

A 1000W applaince on mains will consume 1000/230 = 4.3A
Connect the same appliance to an inverter, its still 1000W but now it only being fed from a 12V source

1000/12 = 83A!!!

In practice that is going to put a huge strain on a caravan battery, and its going to discharge completely in about an hour.

If you want to use such high powered appliances, you would be best connecting the inverter to the car battery , and make sure the engine is running whilst the appliance is being used. This is for two reasons, firstly the car battery is better able to deliver these sorts of high currents compared to a caravan leisure battery, and secondly the the fact the car is running will help to carry some of the load on the alternator rather than the battery, and it will of course enable the car battery to be recharged when you have finished using the appliance.
Thanks.
Not going to use anything near 1000w and only for a short while!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts