Oldie but goody

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
We have just bought a 1992 Avondale Leda Mendip for £800.00. She is showing her age but still seems in remarkably good condition for her year. Can't wait to go away in her once the weather improves a bit. Are there any known pitfalls with the avondale that I need to look out for?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damp is the main weakness on Avondales, front around the windows and rear corners are most suspect areas to check.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Yes, those were the exact places our 1998 Avocet had damp. Plus around the door and toilet window. Plus all along the bottom on the off side, possibly due to a leak around the water inlet housing.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations on buying your Avondale, I hope that you will have many happy times away with your tourer.
A common pitfall which affects all pre-owned caravans, not only Avondales is that although the tyres might look as good as new with very little tread wear, caravan tyres can deteriorate though exposure to UV.
The Caravan Club recommends that caravan tyres should be changed before they are 7 years old regardless of how much tread is left.
I've no proof but at a guess I'd suggest that the majority of motorway breakdowns and mishaps involving touring caravans may stem from older tyres deflating or even blowing out, or lack of correct inflation etc.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
May be worth considering professional inspection of the gas and electric unless you have a copy of a recent service.

Above all enjoy

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone. There are some signs of damp under the front windrow but it doesn't seem to have penetrated very far. The tyres look ok but as you say it might be wise to replace them.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just check the dates of manufacture on them, before buying new, they might have been replaced, google, tyre age. It all comes up.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The older Avondale models were good caravans but like all makes of that age damp can be a problem. If there is evidence of damp it is better to get it dealt with as soon as possible as it van get worse fairly quickly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts