on board water tank

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Just taken delivery of a new to us van. Weve never had on board tank before and would appreciate hints on draining for winter, do we drain the tank before travelling and any other hints would be much appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.It is not recommended that you tow with water in your on board tank Chris. Having said that I have on occasion left a few litres in there, to be able to make a cup of tea on a long journey. If that's your idea then check your nose weight before setting of, water is quite heavy and it might be easier to take water in a separate container. You should have a drain tap somewhere close to the tank, I know exactly where it is on a Senator but you don't mention which van you have. If I am laying the van up for winter, the last time I tow with it I open the drain and taps, the act of towing will release all the water in the tank so that it is completely empty when I get home. It is a good idea to run a caravan sterilisation fluid through your water system including you is tank, before you use it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.It is not recommended that you tow with water in your on board tank Chris. Having said that I have on occasion left a few litres in there, to be able to make a cup of tea on a long journey. If that's your idea then check your nose weight before setting of, water is quite heavy and it might be easier to take water in a separate container. You should have a drain tap somewhere close to the tank, I know exactly where it is on a Senator but you don't mention which van you have. If I am laying the van up for winter, the last time I tow with it I open the drain and taps, the act of towing will release all the water in the tank so that it is completely empty when I get home. It is a good idea to run a caravan sterilisation fluid through your water system including you is tank, before you use it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry about the echo.

I said sorry about the............oh never mind!

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. The van is a 1998 Avondale Harrier. We have been vanning for 18 years so we thought we must have to drain off the water before travelling, but we have received no handbooks with the caravan, so any help would be apprciated ie wdoes any one know the capacity of the tank? I suppose I will have to contact Avondale for details.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris, I have an Avondale Osprey and I don't think there is a drain fitted to the tank. If I want to drain it I just run the internal pump until the pump cuts out automatically on the low level. The small amount left in the tank will not cause any trouble with freezing or weight distribution.

I have towed with water in the on board tank and it did not seem to have any detrimental effect. The only problem is that after a few miles the tank level is right down due to the water sloshing around inside the tank and running out of the overflow.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hello Chris,

Our van is also fitted with a tank (45ltrs) and I always run the tap before leaving to come home. What I have noticed is that our tank is fitted with baffles to stop the movement of water may be it's a German thing but I never risked towing with a full or partially full tank and the manual doesn't recommend it either may be it's for the forgetful !!

Monkeys H

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts