On Board Water Tanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Q Why have them ?. Our new van has had an additional onboard water tank fitted by its previous owners. As our old van had only the normal plug in from aquaroll and run taps type until its normal tank is full, what is the point of an additional tank, does it give you more capacity for the shower or what , all it seems to me is taking up space under bed box and giving you more weight to carry around if you don`t empty it before you leave site.Can you remove them if not required?

Thanks Pip

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can remove them if it doesn't suit your needs.I personally like an onboard (rather than inboard ) tank as you have the facility to carry a small amount of water for hand washing , brewing up en route etc.My tank holds 10 gallons and when the low level warning light comes on it will just take a full aquaroll.This means that you can arrive at site in a thunderstorm and delay getting water and also if two people shower there is plenty of water for both.I can pump in from the inside when its inconvenient to go outside(ie you are covered in soap !!) and for us the system works well.We used to have an inboard but after a leak subsequent vans had it underneath.Its down to personal preference.If you don't want it then ditch it !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had on-board tanks for 10 years and would never go back to an external water container for the following reasons:

- On one site I stayed at the local youth thought it very funny to move everyone's pumps from the aquarolls to the grey water tanks overnight! The first cup of tea in the morning was delightful!

- On another site I caught a youth urinating in someones aquaroll.

- Again on another site most of the aquarolls were thrown in the river overnight and few were recovered.

Give me on-board water with a lockable filling cap every time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pip

I've never had anything to do with an onboard tank, but believe that they are mostly designed for winter caravaning, as they shouldn't freeze overnight unlike an external container.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
on board tanks are mainly used as an extra source of water capacity,ie 40+20ltrs gives that extra amount for shower usage etc on site.realy you should always empty the water tank when travelling, as the water swishing around can destabalise the caravan,om lot of people may disagree but you just thik how much half a water barrel weighs and think of that sloshing abiut from side to side of tank,it cant do the stability of the caravan anygood in my book,but everyone to their own???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts