On board water tanks

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I took delivery of my new Bailey Senator Indiana on Friday and rushed off to the New Forest in it. The handbook is very informative with regard to the water valve positions to be used when filling/using the onboard tank but what it didn't mention was that the only way to check if the tank is full is to to leave the van and look underneath to see if water is coming out of the overflow. I may seem dense but I assumed that the pump would shut off when the tank was full and I consequently lost nearly all the contents of an Aquaroll out of the overflow.

Do other users of onboard tanks have this problem? The 'van has an indicator to show when the tank is empty, is there something I can fit to show when it's full? What I'm going to do is extend the overflow pipe, with hose, so that the excess water either returns to the Aquaroll or exits where the flow can be seen from the inside of the van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a tank that has been on several caravans and you know that its full when it overflows.

It would be possible to fit a float switch near the top of the tank to switch off the filler pump but I have never thought it necessary.

When my warning light comes on for low level I can switch the aquaroll pump on either from inside or outside the van.

The tank then takes just about a full aquaroll so any wastage is minimal.

I would have used the extended overflow pipe for filling a watering can to top up the loo rather than risk contaminating the drinking water.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a tank that has been on several caravans and you know that its full when it overflows.

It would be possible to fit a float switch near the top of the tank to switch off the filler pump but I have never thought it necessary.

When my warning light comes on for low level I can switch the aquaroll pump on either from inside or outside the van.

The tank then takes just about a full aquaroll so any wastage is minimal.

I would have used the extended overflow pipe for filling a watering can to top up the loo rather than risk contaminating the drinking water.
On our van there is a gauge which shows battery and water condition and level. Flick the switch one way - battery - flick it the other - water. No problems at all.

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Paul/John

I to have anew Vermont and have found the new water system OK. I agree about the ver flow. According to the handbbok the tank holds 42L and the Aquarol is 40L so on the intial fill it shouldn't over flow. It does I think this is because that have fitted a 42L tank but the over flow is about an inch or so from the top of the tank. My low level warning light comes on after the first kettle is filled and then last for a couple of days. If you take the drawers out of the cental unit you will find a large cap into the tank, which will be ideal for keeping the tank clean. You can also see the top of the overflow and the other fittings this also projects into the tank by about an inch.

I am in the process of thinking about extending the overflow to the side of the van. When I've finally got it sorted I get back to you. In the mean time any suggestion to help would be appreciated - I'm thinking about attaching a length of rigid plastic pipe

ColinB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin that's interesting about the warning light on the Bailey's

When we get ours that will be another modification along with changing the Whale pick up for a submersible pump so that it can be switched from inside/outside without using the valves under the seat !The front locker light switch via a relay will do for the inside one!

I swapped the large size Aquaroll for the smaller one as the smaller one was the right capacity to top up my existing tank.

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
John

I'm not quite with regards changing the whale pickup that contains the water filter. I would be interested about altering the warning light but as it is fitted through a hole drilled in the tank I'm a bit bothered about redrilling the tank. The water connection on the side does not have any electric connection. You obviously have more knowledge than me regarding the use og relays etc.

ColinB

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
John

I'm not quite with regards changing the whale pickup that contains the water filter. I would be interested about altering the warning light but as it is fitted through a hole drilled in the tank I'm a bit bothered about redrilling the tank. The water connection on the side does not have any electric connection. You obviously have more knowledge than me regarding the use og relays etc.

ColinB
Sorry about the spelling

Colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John

ColinB
CAK tanks of Kenilworth do a float switch that you fit into a hole of the right size in the tank side.

I have one in my present tank that I could swap over.

They also have senders/gauges that could be fitted into the cap on the top

The relay to the pump (I always fit one) takes the load off the micro switches/ pressure switch as they are only switching the relay contacts and the contacts take the heavier current thus lengthening the life of the micro switches and enabling heavier cable to be used thus improving performance as voltage drop is reduced.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Paul/John

I to have anew Vermont and have found the new water system OK. I agree about the ver flow. According to the handbbok the tank holds 42L and the Aquarol is 40L so on the intial fill it shouldn't over flow. It does I think this is because that have fitted a 42L tank but the over flow is about an inch or so from the top of the tank. My low level warning light comes on after the first kettle is filled and then last for a couple of days. If you take the drawers out of the cental unit you will find a large cap into the tank, which will be ideal for keeping the tank clean. You can also see the top of the overflow and the other fittings this also projects into the tank by about an inch.

I am in the process of thinking about extending the overflow to the side of the van. When I've finally got it sorted I get back to you. In the mean time any suggestion to help would be appreciated - I'm thinking about attaching a length of rigid plastic pipe

ColinB
I've modified mine now. I used a 22mm elbow at the bottom of the overflow, then used a reducer to get the size down to 15mm. A piece of reinforced plastic hose (I didn't use rigid plastic 'cos the chassis gets in the way), then a hozelock connector at the end. I made up a small bracket and used industrial epoxy to attach this to the chassis so the hozelock sticks out the side. The excess water now comes out the side and, if I wish, I can attach a short length of hose, via another hozelock, so the excess returns to the Aquaroll.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin your mod sounds good.

I went the other way with the overflow on my tank.

I increased the size to that of the van waste to cut down on restriction of flow through the overflow as I found that on mains pressure even with reducer the water was going in faster than it could get out and on my tank was lifting the capon th O-ring.

I take it that the hose lock is open without a tap!

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Colin your mod sounds good.

I went the other way with the overflow on my tank.

I increased the size to that of the van waste to cut down on restriction of flow through the overflow as I found that on mains pressure even with reducer the water was going in faster than it could get out and on my tank was lifting the capon th O-ring.

I take it that the hose lock is open without a tap!
John - are you refering to my mod with the hozelock? I should have added that you need the type of hozelock which is open all the time and not the "waterstop" type! As an alternative, you could use a washing machine connector (male type) and screw on a w/m hose.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John - are you refering to my mod with the hozelock? I should have added that you need the type of hozelock which is open all the time and not the "waterstop" type! As an alternative, you could use a washing machine connector (male type) and screw on a w/m hose.
That's what I thought but on these threads someone could get the wrong end of the stick and fit a closed stop with interesting results!!Regards

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
John and Paul

Sorry I've not back before. I've not done the mod yet but thank for the suggestions. Will keep in touch when I get round to it. Problem is its dark when I get home from work and we are away in the van at weekends.

ColinB

TRENDING THREADS