On-road Parking of caravan

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi, hope someone can maybe help me here?

One of my neighbours bought a caravan last year (about 10 months ago) and parked it in our cul-de-sac. All the houses are laid out around a central "roundabout" that isnt really used as a roundabout but there are 4 sets of 2 parking bays around the roundabout. His caravan is parked in one of these bays. Obviously not on the road as such or the pavement.

Now, you may think Im been awkward here, Im not. I have a caravan myself (in storage elsewere). The caravan has not moved in the 10 months its been there and judging by the condition of it, its very unlikly to move ever again. As households get bigger there seem to be more cars per house these days and so parking seems to be at a premium in our cul-de-sac, meaning mamy people are resorting to parking on the footpath or infront of peoples drives. So other than been an eyesore (mould/mildew/dirt/rust all over it) its not helping the parking situation.

Is there any legal restrictions of the caravan been parked there?

I probably would not have any issue in it if it was been used now and again but just to stand there and take a space up seems stupid.

Spoke to the guy last week about it and just got loads of abuse along the lines of "its my space I can do what I want with it so f**k off"

Suggestions please?

Steve

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stephen, whatever steps you take are bound to cause resentment, so its worth treading carefully.

Are the parking bays actually designated to each house?, or are they just free for all?

Is there any restrictions in your house deeds relating to storage of caravans in the cul de sac?

It is illegal to park across a driveway, and if this is happening to you, you can phone the Police and have the vehicle removed.

Contact your local council and ask if they can help in any way.Highways dept is a good starting place, or they may put you on to another dept.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is the caravan parked on the public highway, which would include a public pavement, or is it on private property?

If it's on a public highway it mustn't cause an obstruction and it must be lit at night.

If it's on private land, it'll depend whether the land is soley owned, jointly owned by adjacent land owners or tenanted. The deeds or tenancy agreement should be clear what is or isn't allowed. This will also show any restrictions on type of vehicle.

If each house has a contractual right to 2 designated parking spaces, and caravans/vans etc aren't excluded, there's probably nothing you can do about it.

I sympathise but I fear that non-confrontational negotiations are your only chance, albeit a small one, of success.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To quote from the Highway Code:

"224: Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525kg unladen, invalid carriages and motorcycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph or less if they are

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Steven have you approached your other neighbours regarding this matter to guage their feelings. If they are as like minded as you maybe you could do something collectively because from the picture you paint the owner is a moron/bully and at least he wouldnt be able to single you out. Reading from Dusty's post I have to agree too, if the A frame is sticking out it would be a danger to pedestrians or even cars reversing at night.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Being out of the country I don't know what the legal position in the UK is, but I would question whether any vehicle left for 10 months on one spot can still be considered to be parking or whether it has not, in effect, become a permanent feature for which planning permission would be required, as is the case here.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz's comment has just rung a bell with me.

Planning permission isn't needed to store a caravan within the curtilage (garden) of a domestic residence provided it's use is incidental to the occupation of the property. This can be used as a valid defence to stop local authorities "banning" caravans from private houses.

Conversely planning permission is presumably needed to park or store a caravan anywhere else. From Stephen's description this caravan isn't within anything.

I think Stephen should have a word with the planning department of his local authority.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Thanks all for your advice etc.

The guy aint a bully although seems to of fallen out with virtually everyone else in the street already. Wonder why his cars keep getting damaged....mmmm....i wonder?

I will call the council/police when I get time and see if the parking places in the roundabout are classed as part of the road, if so then the highway code will help me.

I dont think that the spaces are allocated to each house, as there are far more houses than there are spaces, although some house (like ours) have a driveway, will have to try and check on the council again on that one.

Cheers all, keep the advice coming if you can think of anything else.

I have 2 last resorts, 1 is calling the social and grassing him for benifit fraud (which i should do anyway) and 2 would be for the transit van I drive occasionally accidently scrape down the side of it when I get back home late at night!!

Steve

May 12, 2005
Visit site
contact the police/council ASAP but faster than that contact socail services fraud dept, Grassing is only the case if your doing the same as him, I E he`s a criminal, why should we pay for him, he`s stealing money from every honest person in the land, If you dont feel you can do it send me his details I`ll make it my priority. as soon as I get them.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Having recently been the target of a complaing neighbour who reported me to the Couciil (because my A frame was a few feet onto the pavement), I have 'some' sympathy for your neighbour. However, the big difference was that a) my parking was temporary (a few weeks) b) I had courteously informed all neighbours by letter of my plan and current proposals.

Your neighbour has not 'parked' the caravan in the sense of parking. He is using the highway as his own hardstanding for semi-permanent storage. This is not legal.

I would contact the Highway Department of the local council and they will send round a scout to 'take a look'. In my case, the council rep was clearly of the mind that my neighbour was just being 'bloody minded' and gave me all the support necessary and confirmed that he would not press further since I had reasonable and clear plans to make it all legal.

All the best and please let us know how you get on.

John

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I do know if you live on an open plan development you cannot keep any caravan for more than one week at a time at your property.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Thanks all for yor advice. Looks like its on the road to a resolution.

First chance I have today to do anything but called the local council.

Spoke to Transportation dept first, who checked to see if the parking bay had been adopted as part of the highway. It hadnt. If it had then there was an approach they could use.

I then, spoke to housing, as the owner of the van is a council tennant. Seems Im not the first to complain about the caravan!! The local officer knows the area (always a bonus), and already knew the owner of the caravan (the mid boggles how). A letter is going to him to ask him to go in for an interview where they will be discussing him removing it as soon as he can.

She did go on to say, although they arent supposed to be there, the council generaly turns a blind eye until there are complaints. They also turn a blind eye if the caravan was there for a day or so just for unloading/repairs etc. I did ask her what restrictions/law etc he was contravening so I could have another chat with him but she wouldnt really divulge to me, and discouraged me speaking to him myself. Im thinking its down to the tenancy agreement for council tennants. So it seems the council are keen to get it shifted now too.

Thanks for your help/advice. I didnt really want to go to the council as I wanted to speak to him directly. I did try this once and got a mouthfull back but was willing to give it another try once I had the right information to hand to threaten him with. Although he his mouthy, he would certainly come worse off if he decided to get violent with me so had no fear with that one!

Thanks again

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Glad to hear that progress seems to be being made. It's always best to let the 'officials' deal with these matters if at all possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts