On site TV aerial hookup

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
The site I've just visited, had an TV hookup on their serviced pitches, I noticed a lot of caravan on the pitches had their tv hookup cable going into their battery box, alongside their electric hookup cable... Good idea as we had to thread ours through the window and straight into the back of the telly.

I do have an TV aerial socket in the battery compartment, so I ponder if I change the cable over on the Amplifier, from TV out, to Aerial in, would this work as a aerial hookup, then being able to use the internal tv sockets as normal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have an aerial socket in the battery box is it a satellite screw in fixing,if so you need a connector to screw on the end and then plug in the the on site box,at the other end in the caravan you should have a normal tv type socket and also a satellite socket,again connect an adaptor on the lead from the satellite socket to the normal socket on the back of your tv,you don't need to get involved with your in van booster

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Fitting the coax with THESE "Quick "F" connectors" can save a lot of awkward fiddling about with the "F" screws.

[Or THESE from CPC ]

Ideal in our application with the temporary making and breaking of our satellite connections.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you have an aerial socket in the battery box is it a satellite screw in fixing,if so you need a connector to screw on the end and then plug in the the on site box,at the other end in the caravan you should have a normal tv type socket and also a satellite socket,again connect an adaptor on the lead from the satellite socket to the normal socket on the back of your tv,you don't need to get involved with your in van booster
Depends on age of caravan as our previous caravan has both connectors.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I a bit confused..

Its the standard double TV/Sat socket, similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/CBE-12V-SA...an+tv/sat+socket+plate&qid=1624870180&sr=8-46 (all the tv sockets are

@Dustydog already have the flat cable came with the external aerial we have for an external aerial that used on sites when the caravan aerial isn't man enough,

Only problem you end up with having the TV where you don't want it, and trailing leads, we had the tv sat at the front of the caravan which meant a uncomfortable sitting position to watch, and not in its usual place sat on the side cabinet mid way, where we both can watch it sat comfortably.

So in my minds eye, that I could turn this battery socket (can't ever see myself watching tv in the awing) into a kind of extension, by swapping it at the Amplifier from TV out to TV in. so the 2 main internal sockets will work as should. so much more tidy

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In post #3 I suggested a right angled F connector might be an advantage. Even more so if It has a female adapter to connect a standard push in coax plug as JTQ suggested.

My reasons for this are based on my van where the location of the satellite F connector (in). It is not possible to plug mine in without it being bent and strained by the mains cable. Very poor design. A right angled connector can avoid this to a large extent and puts less strain on the TV wire.

John

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The site I've just visited, had an TV hookup on their serviced pitches, I noticed a lot of caravan on the pitches had their tv hookup cable going into their battery box, alongside their electric hookup cable... Good idea as we had to thread ours through the window and straight into the back of the telly.

I do have an TV aerial socket in the battery compartment, so I ponder if I change the cable over on the Amplifier, from TV out, to Aerial in, would this work as a aerial hookup, then being able to use the internal tv sockets as normal.
The connection in the battery box does not go to the TV amplifier, but it does go to the TV point where there are two connections - one is a F connector and that is the one we are discussing. If you use a site connection then you do not take it through your amplifier. Caravans are not all cabled up the same, so advice from a forum member may be based on their knowledge of their caravan. As someone else said, you need to use a multimeter to precise your particular caravan.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I shall have to wait until we're off again, as we decided to store the caravan at the Campsite (was so lovely there, and using their storage facility means we can get away easier for a couple of days between our main holiday, and takes a lot of towing stress out for me.

But think I'm going to leave it, and when the caravan has its service I shall also ask for them to look into the socket to see if it can be turned into an hook up point.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I am sure you are right in various manufactures using differing arrangements, our is German.
I our case the coax connector is for watching TV in the awning, so it is fed via a splitter from the amplifier. Not a feature we have ever used.
The "F" connection, is just a routed cable to an "F" connector inside the van by the TV's location station.
So, I use it to bring either my satellite dish, or a site TV booster signals inboard, either then connecting to the TV's "F" connector or its aerial connector. I have adapters to convert my in board satellite "fly lead" to suit. And similar adapters to use my satellite external lead for either role.
We are others that hate the bodges with leads trailed through windows.

TRENDING THREADS