Once social distancing restrictions are lifted, do you have plans to hit the road again?

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
It may still be a while before folks can safely and comfortably hit the open road again for a caravan adventure, but making plans can still be a lot of fun.

Once you're able to hit the road again, how do you plan to celebrate? Will you hit up a new location, just for a different experience, or will you go to a regular spot so you can get caught up with your favorite community of caravaners?

We'd love to hear from you!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Good luck with that. I posted something similar and just got a load of doom and gloom. Still love the miserable so and so’s. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Parksy
Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
We bought our van in February and have only managed to get out for a single weekend. Had a cracking time so we've booked a few trips for (June) July and August in the hope that the restrictions are relaxed enough by then. If not, I'll just keep crossing them off the list until that happens. Much as it's frustrating, not knowing when we'll be able to get away, it will be worth the wait :)

• Love
Reactions: SHaines
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I shall be heading to old camping grounds. All CL's Haven't booked any yet, shall take my chances if and when lock down is relaxed enough.

Norfolk, Lakes. North Wales and maybe Cornwall in no particular order as they say. Trouble is every man and his dog will be doing the same, just have wait and see.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I would like to be heading for somewhere familiar in September once the kids are back. Possibly France depending on the situation. Realistically though I can’t see the van moving much till next year other than getting it serviced.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The plan is no specific planning, just find one of our favourite 5 van sites and a couple of close friends able to join us.
Certainly we will be giving the main sites a wide berth for at the very least 2020.
If not too late for 2020 might get a last minute sailing to France.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Having had two booked caravan breaks cancelled so far this year we have another two pending, one in the Lake District and the other at a music festival that we go to every year
our future plans depend on when and to what degree travelling restrictions are lifted.
I think that some restrictions may be lifted but some age groups might be advised to continue with social distancing until the Covid 19 pandemic is under control.
A get together with friends from this forum is still a possibility, the one planned for April in Devon had to be postponed, but whenever the lockdown is lifted we will definitely go somewhere in the UK after catching up with family and friends at home.
There will almost certainly be a rush to get away amongst all caravanners and motorhomers, so we'll have to see what's available, we will probably try for somewhere near to the south coast where we haven't yet been.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wrote in another thread, that "To fail to plan is to plan to fail" and that sensibly you should be planning you next outings, with the proviso that it can be easily put on hold if the restrictions are still in place.

There are of course many difficulties with trying to make such plans, not least of course the date is still unknown, and we won't know if all the necessary services will be accessible come the release date.

Proactive businesses should be planning ahead, which is why its right for the site owners to be planning to open sites. They need to know how they are going to contact their employees, and other service providers, or will they only be able to offer a restricted range of services. Is there any point in opening a site if the local attractions are still closed etc?

It will be quite a long time before life can find a new normal, and we may find that things we took for granted previously may not be as accessible in the future. I also predict that as sanctions are eased, initially we may see some fantastic deals, but prices are likely to settle long term at a markedly higher price, not just through inflationary pressures, but to enable business to pay off the loans they may have taken out.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I expect to have a deferred booking in Derbyshire pitched alongside my brother's unit for starters, along with that a change of scene away from the house and new walking routes out of my own locality. Otherwise the van will not have been used since it's last service late in 2019. At least it sits by my house so I am able to keep it aired and charged ready!
I do hope that lockdown will be eased enough to allow such pursuits later in the summer, but I fear for businesses going under, especially individual site owners who must be drastically missing the trade from Easter onwards.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wrote in another thread, that "To fail to plan is to plan to fail" and that sensibly you should be planning you next outings, with the proviso that it can be easily put on hold if the restrictions are still in place.

There are of course many difficulties with trying to make such plans, not least of course the date is still unknown, and we won't know if all the necessary services will be accessible come the release date.

Proactive businesses should be planning ahead, which is why its right for the site owners to be planning to open sites. They need to know how they are going to contact their employees, and other service providers, or will they only be able to offer a restricted range of services. Is there any point in opening a site if the local attractions are still closed etc?

It will be quite a long time before life can find a new normal, and we may find that things we took for granted previously may not be as accessible in the future. I also predict that as sanctions are eased, initially we may see some fantastic deals, but prices are likely to settle long term at a markedly higher price, not just through inflationary pressures, but to enable business to pay off the loans they may have taken out.

I also think that prices will rise due to supply and demand. A recent survey of people’s future holiday plans showed that a majority were not inclined to travel abroad either to Europe or long haul until they were confident the virus was low risk and travel insurance could be obtained that covered the virus risk. If they were going to fall ill they preferred to be in UK. Staycations were very much in vogue. So if a bigger than normal number of holidaymakers decide to stay in UK then I feel prices will rise across the whole holiday-tourist sector. This may also be mirrored in the caravan and motorhome community too.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are booked in for north wales end of July ,hopefully that will go ahead🤔Then hopefully we'll get in a couple of long weekends in Autumn/winter. As Mel says,quite a lot of folk seem very doom and gloom about the whole thing,personally I'm furlough at moment,poss back to work in a couple of weeks.I see no problem with fully opening sites up after lockdown ends,you just need to be a little thoughtful about your actions on site.
Now,I'm not immune to this(no one is) but I would be quite happy to go to a site tomorrow ,you're closer to people and in more danger of getting ill going to the supermarket .
Stay safe all.

Reactions: Sunray
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When my wife Temporary Register NMC (Nurse ) comes to end and she can continue with her retirement . We have some holidays booked still but if we cannot go we will either transfer to a later date or next year .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Cannot wait to get away but being cautious. Booked to go down to Wales later to see our daughter and her family but we will have to wait and see if t is possible nearer the time.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I want to book up for Weymouth later this year but I can't see Boris and co letting the public go further than a certain radius from home, infact areas of the country are still having problems with a high level of deaths I can see those parts of the country being off limits, I hope this is not the case but it is wait and see,

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
Good luck with that. I posted something similar and just got a load of doom and gloom. Still love the miserable so and so’s. :)

I hear you. If we run into a situation where a question doesn't get responses, I'll see that as me missing the mark with my question. Looks like folks are cool with it, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

If anyone does have any questions they'd like asked in a Community Question, feel free to message me directly via the Conversations option in the upper-right of the forums.

I shall be heading to old camping grounds. All CL's Haven't booked any yet, shall take my chances if and when lock down is relaxed enough.

Norfolk, Lakes. North Wales and maybe Cornwall in no particular order as they say. Trouble is every man and his dog will be doing the same, just have wait and see.

Definitely true. Though I also imagine it'll be an incredible experience for folks who haven't seen each other in a while to meet up on their adventures. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and all that. :D

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Our first trip will be to the storage site to retrieve the van! After that, it'll either be Burrowhayes in West Somerset, or Ulwell in August, but we may try to sneak a couple of extras in between if we can get a place anywhere! At least these 2 are booked.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I would like to "hit the, road" but after reading todays papers I have a feeling it won't happen cruising down the M5 to the South West even if they lift the lockdown and allow the pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants to re-open I will still be keeping away and keeping my two meters distance,

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Suspecting that social distancing will be the last restriction to be lifted we're planning trips to CLs rather than big sites, and only after the school holidays. Nothing solid planned but two weeks in September booked off work and having ideas about the lake district.
We do have a couple of bookings made at the New Year in July and August but no real expectation of being there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts