One for GEIST

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Geist

See thread on aluminium window frames. According to Richard Toon thousands have ben fitted to European manufactured caravans.

Have any of your non British ones suffered bad condendsation on the frames?

Cheers

Alan

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Alan - it struck me that the problem may not arise with continental vans because of the much better standard of insulation - most of them are designed for winter as well as summer caravanning, where most British models are designed for (if not used for) three seasons only. Maybe this is why you're having problems - I still think there's more of a case to be answered by the window manufacturers, and yes the problem may go away during the warmer months, with the windows open, and on longer trips, but you may only notice any long term problems AFTER your warranty runs out. After all, a continuous drip, drip, drip, of condensation (which must be running down the internal walls) can't be good for your van. Personally I think you're being fobbed off and that these windows are not good for the great British climate.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have been unable to find a Continental caravan without aluminium window frames on all opening windows. Fixed windows, on the other hand, are often glazed using rubber reveal mouldings. I suspect that aluminium frames are selected for opening windows because they provide relatively good stiffness compared to their weight. The problem regarding condensation may not exist if plastic frames were used but because plastic would not be as stiff, there may be a danger of leaks after a few years due to thermal warpage during summer temperatures. So, it's a trade off between one problem and another potential one. I presume the leakage problem is considered to be the more severe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts