Opinions on campsites in the Ardeche

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have narrowed down to 4 sites.The sites are:- La Digue in Ruoms, Camping de Retourtour in Lamastre, La Chapouliere in Ruoms and finally Arc en Ciel in Vallon-Pont-D'Arc. We will be 2 caravans with 5 adults and holidaying during mid July. We are looking for reasonable size pitches (one van is a large twin axle), decent pool and clean sanitary facilities. If there are any other sites that anyone can recommend in this area I would be interested.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've been to the Ardeche area lots of times - but never stayed on any of these sites - so I'm sorry I can't help. We normally stay at either L'Ardechois at Vallon pont d'Arc, or Ranc Davaine at St Alban Auriolles (near to Ruoms) - both these are likely to be 'heaving' in July - we normally go outside peak season and sites which can be heaving in July can be superbly quiet and wonderful in May or September. I'm sure someone on here will have been to the sites you mention.

I wonder if you've realised that Lamastre is in a completely different part of the department of Ardeche to the other sites, and is around 100 kilometres from Ruoms. If you're wanting to see the famous 'Gorge' then you've a 200 kilometres additional round trip.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Denise,

We have also been to the Ardeche many times but not used either of the sites mentioned. We use Le Riviera at Sampson.(www.guideweb.com/ardeche/camping/le-riviera). Whilst it is likely to be busy at that time of the year, so will any decent site in the area. It is a 'French' site and you will find very few English on it. Good facilities and right on the river.

Alan.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Alan, we've looked at that site many times as we've passed by - never actually been inside, but thought it looked very nicely situated. We like pitches right on the river side, and this is a lovely situation. What are the toilet blocks like - in particular are there any hole in the ground type toilets which I hate, and if so is there still enough 'uprights'???? Are the toilet blocks well-maintained? What's the on-site restaurant like? Hope you don't mind - but we're always on the look out for recommendations, too, and have thought about this site several times.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Val,

Obviously not all the pitches overlook the river but all have access. The toilet blocks are very new, replaced about 2 years ago, all English style and well maintained. Restaurant and take away were both excellent last time we were there.

Must admit we have known the owners a very long time and get slightly beneficial treatment but other friends who have been have thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts