orkney.......

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello, anyone been, do you or can you take a caravan, or is it better going for the day, ive got ideas of sites on the main land so thats not a problem, but just wondered if anyone had been over with a caravan, and also have any info about the island...thankyou....ED

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ed,

Molly and I were on Orkney a few years ago (at the Piquahoy site in Kirkwall). You ask if it would be better to go for one day. We booked for a week - and would have stayed for another two if we could have got the ferry booking changed. It is an amazing place and well worth staying a while.

Rob S.

May 13, 2006
Visit site
HI again Ed,

Just to add to what I said, we made trips out to several of the islands which comprise Orkney, taking the car over on the little ferries. Get in touch with the Orkney Tourist people and they'll give you a load of information.

Rob S.

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
thankyou rob, sounds very interesting,i will get in touch with them, what time of year did you go, and which ferry route did you take, thanks again, ED

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ed,

We went to Orkney in July - I was still working then and had to take a couple of weeks in July.

We went from Scabster to Stromness on the P&O ferry which operated the. I believe a different company now operates the service.

There are two sites that I know about - one near Stromness and the other at Kirwall.

Rob S.

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ed,

We went to Orkney in July - I was still working then and had to take a couple of weeks in July.

We went from Scabster to Stromness on the P&O ferry which operated the. I believe a different company now operates the service.

There are two sites that I know about - one near Stromness and the other at Kirwall.

Rob S.
Sorry - Scrabster!!!

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
We went to Orkney in 2005, booked through Carefree in c and cc. No problems at all with bookings. Travelled on ferry from Scrabster to Stromness (very nice modern ship).

We also stayed at The Pickaquoy site in Kirkwall, which is near to the Town, but far enough away to be quiet.

Unfortunately, we were unlucky enough to pick the week when the Scottish Sheep Dog Competition was being held, at our site!

This meant a lot of noise from the dogs (some with 5 or 6 per Unit!), and we were glad to see the back of them, but unfortunately this was not until the Wednesday (we were there Sat-Sat).

Orkney is really lovely and worth the effort to get there - no probs with a caravan at all, but I think just the 2 sites, one in Stromness (lovely location overloking the Bay) and Kirkwall.

But if you go in August, checdk first regarding the dog show, unless you enjoy endless yapping and Barbara Woodhouse look-a-likes!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts