Our caravan has gone!!

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Went to our storage today to collect the van, but it has gone!! Found out that another van was stolen on Saturday from the same storage and recovered in Doncaster. Our van is a 2005 Coachman Amara "Sun" 530/4. It has a Kenmore Caravans sticker on the back. Reg PJ54 ARF. If anyone sees it, please contact Lancashire Police. We were due to go away in it for our Silver Wedding Anniversary in a fortnight, so we are devastated!!

Lynn

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
Sorry for your loss Lynn, will keep an eye out for you on my travels, I think stern words are in order for your storage people, supposed to be secure.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Rob,

Sorry to hear about your caravan. It may not be much compensation but it may be worth giving your insurance company a ring and see if they can provide a replacement for your anniversary.

Hamer

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your kind thoughts. Caravan was stored on a site in Carnforth, Lancs. Have been in contact with insurance co, but we have to wait for a loss adjuster to contact us, also a visit to the storage site, so looks like it will take a while.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Bob,

I am sorry to read of your loss, and at such a special time. Whilst I am sure you don't feel inclined to rock the boat, you have suffered a loss, for which the storage site should be responsible.

My thoughts are that if the site is advertising its self as a secure site, then clearly they have failed to maintain that security.

Regardless of any contract you may have been given, check with your insurers to see if they are going to claim against the sites insurance, to recover the cost of the caravan and any additional premium costs. If not seek the advice of a solicitor to raise a personal claim against the site.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I watched a TV programme not so long back about stolen caravans. A lot of them end up in Spain on camp sites there. Whether it was a coincidence or not it was the Lancashire Police who were down there checking out the caravans. On the programme it showed one they had found, with the new owners who apparently had bought it without knowing. Tough luck on them though because the police seized it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bob

Very sorry to hear this bad news at what was to be a very special time for you.

I hope your insurance company deal with this matter efficiently and compassionately and very quickly.

Did you have new for old cover? Some policies give temporary hire / acommodation cover. Check you wording carefully, you may have a pleasant surprise. Hopefully a hire caravan will still enable you and Mrs Bob to enjoy your anniversary.

Good luck.

Cheers

Alan

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your loss Bob. Make sure you come back and tell us what happens with the insurance.

What locks did you have on the caravan?

Was the site a CASSOA gold/silver/none?

Ian

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Thanks very much for your kind words and thoughts. As you can imagine it is a difficult time. We are now waiting for the insurance to sort it all out. We didn't have new for old, but between our home insurance for the contents and the caravan insurance we should be able to get it sorted. Probably not in 2 weeks time, but it will get sorted. We are now trying to figure out what to do instead.

Thanks.

Bob

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bob

As you ae not new for old settlement will be on a strict indemnity basis valuation, ie its market value on the day immediately it was stolen.

May I suggest you try and get hold of Glasses caravan guide page for your caravan and prepare for a battle.

Well if all goes well an dthe insurer is one of the decent ones a settlement satisfactory to both of you should not be too difficult to achieve.

Don't be fobbed off with "we are in a recession", Rubbish.

The NEC show was quite a success for the major manufacturers.

So caravans are selling and the pre theft value of your caravan is not as low as some people will have you believe.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Alan

May 25, 2008
Visit site

It would be nice to know the answer to these ??s we all have vans stored on CASSOA sites. I notice on our site a big sign at the entrance Says Vans are Stored at Owners Risk mmmmmm

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site

It would be nice to know the answer to these ??s we all have vans stored on CASSOA sites. I notice on our site a big sign at the entrance Says Vans are Stored at Owners Risk mmmmmm
Hi Gumbo,

No it wasn't a CASSOA site. It was on the storage compound of a caravan site with resident warden plus large Rottweiller guard dog!! We had wheel clamp and alko hitchlock which were both broken off and left behind. Looks like they used a combination of crowbar, axe and chisel to get them off. Another van stolen around the same time had 2 wheel clamps, hitchlock and a tracker. It was recovered the next day but it was trashed.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site

Hi Guys, thanks for all your mesages. Insurance have now agreed to pay pretty much what we would have expected. Still totally gutted that someone took our pride and joy! We have now got a "replacement van" which is lovely but, it will take a while to feel like ours if you know what I mean? Will take ages to replace all our stuff though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts