Our dog is a pain.....

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Have tried and tried and tried. I know the theory and it should work, but does not!

On their own or together they think its a non stop game, they just live to get out on a run and then they are quite reasonably behaved.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Jeff,

Have read all the ideas and experiences so far and can sympathise by the way as Our Springer, now departed this world, was an absolute pain and behaved exactly as you describe. We never managed to cure him and even resorted to earplugs at one point.

Our current 3 year old German Shepherd is now going the same way BUT we think we have stumbled on a solution.

Did you follow the recent "me or the dog" series on channel 4? One of the episodes was devoted to a case just like yours with a couple of Great Danes that were out of control in all sorts of ways but specially when travelling in the family Discovery.

The presenters advice was very similar to that already given for general control but her in the car solution was unique and spectacularly successfull - well on the programme anyway.

It involved using blackout curtains with a Zipped front blind - the dogs were quiet in the blackout but bayed when the blind was opened - they quickly realised that the blind would be put back if they made a noise and within two trips had quietened down considerably to the point that the blinds could be reduced in area! One could see that by the third and fourth trip the blinds could come off completely.

This bears out what one or two poeple have been saying on this thread about using a crate and covering it with a blanket or similar. Coincidentally we have recently changed our SWB Trooper to a LWB 7 seater and the view out at the back is blocked at the side windows by the stowed seats and privacy glass that darkens the rear interior - the change in the dog is marked, he still yelps a bit but settles down much quicker and I'm pretty sure if we covered the doguard he would make no noise at all. Basically one of us sitting in the back and putting a screen up and down behind the seat is too much of a pain and his behaviour is aceptable now so we won't be going any further.

I'm not suggesting you change your car but the blackout theory definately seems to work - well on Great Danes and German Shepherds it does.

Best of luck - plenty of ideas here for you to try but give the blackout a go - you have nothing to lose. I knew a guy once that used to shut his dog in the boot if he got excited on trips - he said it worked and it is on the same theme but seems too cruel to me.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Jeff,

Have read all the ideas and experiences so far and can sympathise by the way as Our Springer, now departed this world, was an absolute pain and behaved exactly as you describe. We never managed to cure him and even resorted to earplugs at one point.

Our current 3 year old German Shepherd is now going the same way BUT we think we have stumbled on a solution.

Did you follow the recent "me or the dog" series on channel 4? One of the episodes was devoted to a case just like yours with a couple of Great Danes that were out of control in all sorts of ways but specially when travelling in the family Discovery.

The presenters advice was very similar to that already given for general control but her in the car solution was unique and spectacularly successfull - well on the programme anyway.

It involved using blackout curtains with a Zipped front blind - the dogs were quiet in the blackout but bayed when the blind was opened - they quickly realised that the blind would be put back if they made a noise and within two trips had quietened down considerably to the point that the blinds could be reduced in area! One could see that by the third and fourth trip the blinds could come off completely.

This bears out what one or two poeple have been saying on this thread about using a crate and covering it with a blanket or similar. Coincidentally we have recently changed our SWB Trooper to a LWB 7 seater and the view out at the back is blocked at the side windows by the stowed seats and privacy glass that darkens the rear interior - the change in the dog is marked, he still yelps a bit but settles down much quicker and I'm pretty sure if we covered the doguard he would make no noise at all. Basically one of us sitting in the back and putting a screen up and down behind the seat is too much of a pain and his behaviour is aceptable now so we won't be going any further.

I'm not suggesting you change your car but the blackout theory definately seems to work - well on Great Danes and German Shepherds it does.

Best of luck - plenty of ideas here for you to try but give the blackout a go - you have nothing to lose. I knew a guy once that used to shut his dog in the boot if he got excited on trips - he said it worked and it is on the same theme but seems too cruel to me.
think i might try this out on my german shepherd tomorrow!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the dog is very highly strung and a pain the only solution is to weight the left side of the temple with a piece of lead injected with a 2/2 gun. This will cure the problem for once and for all.

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
If the dog is very highly strung and a pain the only solution is to weight the left side of the temple with a piece of lead injected with a 2/2 gun. This will cure the problem for once and for all.
dogs should be banned, full stop, the owners do no clean up after after them, unless someone is watching, and some have loose poos, how do they clean that up

BAN THEM

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
dogs should be banned, full stop, the owners do no clean up after after them, unless someone is watching, and some have loose poos, how do they clean that up

BAN THEM
Colin (not Colin Bridgend!),

Yea you are right! All dogs and their owners leave mess everywhere and do not clean up.........same as all people who use the internet are boring anoraks.

Thanks for the insight!

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas folks. Tried some with some success (he now waits for me to enter the door before him, for example - nice one). Gonna try out the blackout ideas next. Incidentally, like another writer's dog, he's quiet when on motorways - must be something to do with braking/turning particularly.

In the meantime, am keeping the kennel season ticket up to date!

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Lisa Jeff u should give dog training a try it is good fun and u and ur dog will both benefit. We have 4 west highland whites which get excited by dancing round our feet when we get the creates out to pack the caravan. Once their leads go on they are as quiet as mice and settle down in the back of the car with the kids and sleep the rest of the journey. Our ***** has the odd bark during the night if she feels someone is around the caravan but goes back to sleep after u give her a reasuring word. We have had all our dogs at dog training it was good fun and worth while we dont do obedience or anything as complex just heel work and the basic commands. makes life a lot easier

Martin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What a strange world, a question on www.doggieworld.com/forum this week. The owner of a Mechelse Herder was asking if anyone could help him with a problem he has on hos caravan!

Apr 12, 2006
Visit site
Lots of us wouldn't holiday without our pets, which is why we go caravanning. Luckily our labrador loves travelling in the car, however he is epileptic and some of the tips we have received for keeping him calm may help with dogs who do have problems travelling, like other posts training and making sure the dog knows you are pack leader is important, you could also try giving the dog a few drops of Rescue Remedy or Serene Um. Adding a little Night Time Tea to the drinking water is also calming, without the side effects of sedatives fromthe vet(all available at health food shops)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our dog got distressed in the car and we wanted something to calm him down. Went to Holland and Barratt and they said try rescue remedy it worked a treat it is just a flower stuff and 4 drops on a biscuit and he took it with no trouble. He is a fairly biggish dog so you may have to give less if your dog is small.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear that you have a problem when traverling with your dog.

We have a Kerry blue terrier, She was prone to travel sickness, which we cured by giving her a Sealeg tablet 1 hour before we commenced our journey.For general nerves which make a dog very aggitated our vet described 1 to 2 Acp 10 mg tablets which must be taken on a empty stomach before feeding about 1 hour before you set off on your journey They really did calm her down,We only had to give her 1/2 of 1 tablet,Thankgoodness age has made her more calmer as we no longer need anything when travelling, she lays on her bed in the back of our estate, with aircon to keep her cool.

Royston

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Just another thought on this: we tried the water spray thing on our dogs, worked on the older one but our puppy turned it into a game which made him bark even more!

SO, we filled a small plastic bottle with stone chips from the garden and give it a good shake (makes a hell of a racket), our dog hates it! Within seconds he is calm. You could also try a tin filled with stones.

this doesn't hurt the dog! but gives them enough of a fright to get them under control. Shouting doesn't work, as they just think you are joining in with their barking.

hope this helps.

Mark (",)

Apr 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi There is a product called DAP. It is an aerosol that you can spray in the car before getting in it and it calms dogs down naturally. Another product that you buy over the counter is QuietLife (they are for humans) and they will take the edge off of the excitement.

Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear that you have a problem when traverling with your dog.

We have a Kerry blue terrier, She was prone to travel sickness, which we cured by giving her a Sealeg tablet 1 hour before we commenced our journey.For general nerves which make a dog very aggitated our vet described 1 to 2 Acp 10 mg tablets which must be taken on a empty stomach before feeding about 1 hour before you set off on your journey They really did calm her down,We only had to give her 1/2 of 1 tablet,Thankgoodness age has made her more calmer as we no longer need anything when travelling, she lays on her bed in the back of our estate, with aircon to keep her cool.

Royston
Tried herbal tablets with our jack russel without any luck. Found the only way to prevent her getting car sick is for her to sit on the rear shelf. Seems as long as she's up high and can look around everything is fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts