Outfit Match / Towing Advice Please

CMc

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new here. And soon to be new to the world of caravan towing. 30+ years driving, and lots of driving, 0 years towing.

I have a 2013 1.6 DSG Golf, towing limit is apparently 1,500 kg. Kerb weight is 1,337 kg, which is what I know I should be working to.

I've carried out a towsafe match for a second-hand caravan I'm considering, MRO 1,098 kg, MTPLM, 1,269 kg.

Now, all is green, with the exception of the MTPLM/kerb match, which is 94.9%. This would traditionally put the outfit match in the hands of the experts.

Everything else is as follows:

MTPLM / VIN: 84.6%
MTPLM/Max tow: 84.6%
Combined MAM: well within green at 3,099 kg.
Achievable nose-weight: 6.3%.

Just trying to gauge how others might feel, experienced or not, on towing such a combination?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, Without looking deeper into your car and caravan, I would say you should have no real worries.
The car will probably never be at its kerb weight towing your caravan at max weight.
Depending on how low you let your car get on fuel, maybe taking the van back to storage after emptying the car of all your caravan bits, so your car might be kerb weight plus 100kg.
And the same with the van at it's max weight, well that is normal to tow at max all the time due to all the bits and pieces we over fill our vans with.
Other will be along to help confuse with help.

• Haha
Reactions: Bluetonic and CMc

CMc

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, Without looking deeper into your car and caravan, I would say you should have no real worries.
The car will probably never be at its kerb weight towing your caravan at max weight.
Depending on how low you let your car get on fuel, maybe taking the van back to storage after emptying the car of all your caravan bits, so your car might be kerb weight plus 100kg.
And the same with the van at it's max weight, well that is normal to tow at max all the time due to all the bits and pieces we over fill our vans with.
Other will be along to help confuse with help.
Thank you, my mind is to take everything along in the car anyway but I’m sure there will be ‘stuff’ I haven’t thought about.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
When I first started towing I was at a similar % match.
No issues towing, take your time to learn how the outfit feels and reacts.
Have fun

Reactions: CMc

CMc

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
When I first started towing I was at a similar % match.
No issues towing, take your time to learn how the outfit feels and reacts.
Have fun
Thanks @Bluetonic - perhaps I'm over worrying myself. The practical caravan review of a 2013 Golf seemed to be a pretty similar match, albeit they were reviewing a 2.0 L.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
On another forum is a guy who works for the transmission depart for VAG and has commented that the DSG used in a lot of 1.6 engined VAG models is the dry-clutch DSG which is not as robust as the one used in the 2.0 engined models. Having said that my parents tow with a 2018 1.6 diesel Seat Lean (same running gear as the Golf) with the DSG gearbox and have had no issues, their caravan is 1250kgs MTPLM.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The towing advice that says you should aim for 85 to 100% is advisory only, But it is always sensible to keep trailer weights as small as possible.

Bearing in mind the Golf you have, the rear overhang is quite small so the caravans feedback through the hitch should be well under control, and provided you take due care it should be fine.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you have any initial concerns don’t load the van to its max, put more into the car, but not overloading it. Then when you have a feel for the outfit transfer some into the caravan. With the van it’s important to follow loading guidance such as not having heavy kit at the rear. When driving be aware that a caravan is susceptible to side winds, or slip stream from heavy or fast moving vehicles. Lane 1 in motorways can have twin depressions caused by HGV these can unsettle a caravan. I would never overtake going downhill as that is a risk area particularly from wind gusts or interaction with other vehicles.

You are asking the right questions and I would be happy towing your outfit as described.

CMc

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
On another forum is a guy who works for the transmission depart for VAG and has commented that the DSG used in a lot of 1.6 engined VAG models is the dry-clutch DSG which is not as robust as the one used in the 2.0 engined models. Having said that my parents tow with a 2018 1.6 diesel Seat Lean (same running gear as the Golf) with the DSG gearbox and have had no issues, their caravan is 1250kgs MTPLM.
Great insight thank you! Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. I've been as careful as possible with the car so far, had it for 8 of its 10 years, without problem. Apart from the radar on the cruise control falling to bits. I've been kind to the gearbox, I think.

CMc

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
The towing advice that says you should aim for 85 to 100% is advisory only, But it is always sensible to keep trailer weights as small as possible.

Bearing in mind the Golf you have, the rear overhang is quite small so the caravans feedback through the hitch should be well under control, and provided you take due care it should be fine.
Thank you @ProfJohnL for the insight. Great thought on the rear overhang, physics will win out in the end!

CMc

Sep 5, 2023
Visit site
If you have any initial concerns don’t load the van to its max, put more into the car, but not overloading it. Then when you have a feel for the outfit transfer some into the caravan. With the van it’s important to follow loading guidance such as not having heavy kit at the rear. When driving be aware that a caravan is susceptible to side winds, or slip stream from heavy or fast moving vehicles. Lane 1 in motorways can have twin depressions caused by HGV these can unsettle a caravan. I would never overtake going downhill as that is a risk area particularly from wind gusts or interaction with other vehicles.

You are asking the right questions and I would be happy towing your outfit as described.
Thanks @otherclive, especially information on the lanes and the depressions in lane 1. I don't think I'll be attempting any overtaking with a caravan on tow. Happy to sit in slow moving traffic all day if it means we're safe! First outing will be to the highlands, here's hoping it'll cope with the hills.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
DSG should be fine so long as you don't try reversing or crawling up a hill so clutch is slipping. If stuck in crawling traffic on hill, don't crawl, do stop starts with big gaps so you can do it with enough speed that clutch isn't slipping.

I've reversed VW caddy slowly up a ramp and its DSG didn't like it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DSG should be fine so long as you don't try reversing or crawling up a hill so clutch is slipping. If stuck in crawling traffic on hill, don't crawl, do stop starts with big gaps so you can do it with enough speed that clutch isn't slipping.

I've reversed VW caddy slowly up a ramp and its DSG didn't like it.
I had a Superb 4x4 2 litre estate. When I first brought the van home I tried reversing it onto the drive. To do that the van had to go up the slope of the road and turn about 90 degrees to enter the drive. DSG (oil lub) was distinctly uncomfortable, so I unhitched and used the mover. Thereafter I adopted your tips and drove it conscious that there were clutches in the box. On sites I would use the mover to pitch up. In all other respects it drive and towed beautifully.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Is it a 6 or 7 speed DSG box?
If the 7 speed Dry DSG box you need to read up on the do's and don'ts. It's not the most robust gearbox in the world.

Reactions: RogerL
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The 85% matching is a bit outdated and the Golf has won several tow car awards, so is a very good tow car. The ratio is a bit high for me to say it is good, but should be manageable with care. When you change the car I would look at something a bit heavier though.
If you have a potentially difficult reverse to get it home I would look at getting a motor mover fitted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts