over 70,s

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I heard on the news this evening that the (gov) are to try and introduce driving and medical tests for the over 70's

Do people think this should happen ? when adequate safeguards exist today

regards

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Doesn't some sort of test already exist? Having seen my Dad drive (he's 82), I definately think it's a good idea. I am also in favour of towing tests for any one of any age. I can't understand why just anyone can get behind the wheel of a huge outfit and just take to the roads. It seems incredible to me. Roz

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The issue of driving when the driver is over 70 is avery personal issue. Some aged drivers are very good, and pose no problem, however, some have completely lost the plot, as it were, and pose a significant risk to others. I know that this does not only apply to older drivers, many young drivers are a nightmare.

As for renewing licences, at 70 and above, one has to sign a "fitness to drive" form, from the DVLA, and I believe the persons GP has to countersign it too, and this has to be repeated every 3 years. BUT,,whilst the GP can sign thatthe person is physically fit, he does not know what the persons driving is like, so its a bit of a stab in the dark, and how many people would readily admit to not being able to drive due to advancing age and infirmity?

There is an aged lady where I live who drives a Golf GTi, and she only ever goes at 28mph,whatever the speed limit. She has no idea that if she presses the accelerator a bit further the car will fly!!!!and she would probably have a heart attack!!She has no idea how much power there is under the bonnet of this "nice little car".

As for towing, only people who have held licences issued prior to 1997 can "just get in and tow", everyone else has to take the extension training and test to be able to tow , adding the cost of training, plus test cost to what is becoming a very expensive learning process.

I feel that older drivers should have to demonstrate they are capable of dealing with todays driving conditions, maybe in the form of an accompanied assessment of their driving , but not in the sense of retaking the whole driving test.

I am getting towards that age, and feel it would not only be fair to everyone else, but also myself and family to have an independent assessment and be assured that I was not posing an unacceptable risk to others.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Shiraz, accident and insurance statistics do not show that people over 70 are any riskier than under 70's. There are groups of drivers that are much more riskier to my health and safety e.g. Police drivers and company car drivers. (I am one of the later and my company has provided 'safety driving courses').

As far as towing again there has been shown to be no additional accidents whilst towing over ordinary cars. Insurance companies do not charge additional for covering the third party risks of towing, they would if they perceived there were additional risks.

If you have concerns about road safety then target your efforts on the causes of accidents not caused by vehicles exceeding the speed limit - 97% in the county of Durham according to its Chief Constable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray I totally agree with every word you have said, and the only thing that differs from young to old is reaction to possible hazards etc. although I do beleive that with age you definately slow down and therefore have more time to react. The biggest topics regarding driving and accidents are

Hazard perception

Giving consideration to other drivers albeit that you consider you have the right of way

Close following

Road Rage

IMHO

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The issue of driving when the driver is over 70 is avery personal issue. Some aged drivers are very good, and pose no problem, however, some have completely lost the plot, as it were, and pose a significant risk to others. I know that this does not only apply to older drivers, many young drivers are a nightmare.

As for renewing licences, at 70 and above, one has to sign a "fitness to drive" form, from the DVLA, and I believe the persons GP has to countersign it too, and this has to be repeated every 3 years. BUT,,whilst the GP can sign thatthe person is physically fit, he does not know what the persons driving is like, so its a bit of a stab in the dark, and how many people would readily admit to not being able to drive due to advancing age and infirmity?

There is an aged lady where I live who drives a Golf GTi, and she only ever goes at 28mph,whatever the speed limit. She has no idea that if she presses the accelerator a bit further the car will fly!!!!and she would probably have a heart attack!!She has no idea how much power there is under the bonnet of this "nice little car".

As for towing, only people who have held licences issued prior to 1997 can "just get in and tow", everyone else has to take the extension training and test to be able to tow , adding the cost of training, plus test cost to what is becoming a very expensive learning process.

I feel that older drivers should have to demonstrate they are capable of dealing with todays driving conditions, maybe in the form of an accompanied assessment of their driving , but not in the sense of retaking the whole driving test.

I am getting towards that age, and feel it would not only be fair to everyone else, but also myself and family to have an independent assessment and be assured that I was not posing an unacceptable risk to others.
I also know a little old lady, who was recently pulled over by a patrol car (not a Gatso,you note,)travelling at almost 10mph above the local limit, she told the officer she had been driving for 72 years without accident so he let her off, but she is only ninty six. I must say I wondered how far she could see as she has a four inch extention fitted to the bottom of the drivers sun visor, looked very much like a driverless car from behind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts