Over the top cleaning

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Keep your pride and joy in tip-top condition
I was not going to menshion this but the very first time Pat and I went caravaning, on the site a van parked next to us and after setting up he got a step ladder out of his van and washed the van.
He then asked if I wonted to borrow the ladder, I did decline.
I will also add his van looked clean and new before he got the ladder out, after a couple of days I got talking to him, he only lives 25 miles away.
I was just wondering if I will end up like him, I suppose I'm nearly there as I do keep it clean at home.
Reg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Good to someone takes pride in their property.
The exercise probably helps him too.
smiley-smile.gif

May 8, 2009
Visit site
As I keep our van indoors, I always wash it before I go away and when I come back. When I am away I dont bother unless I am away for a couple of weeks and I would probably just give it a quick wipe over.....

Oct 7, 2006
Visit site
must admit when i started caravaning, I saw a person get his bottle of polish out on site and clean his already gleaming van and I did think "saddo, have you nothing better to do on holiday". Now though I do give mine a quick swill and wipe to get road grime off, (well polished before levaing home) and I reckon in a few more years I'll be sneaking the polish into the gas locker. It may be peer pressure, I don't know, but at the end of the day, I guess its a very good thing that people want to look after something they have spent a lot of money on. And although we all know appearance don't mean anything, if you asked me would I rather picth next to a family with a gleaming outfit, or one which looked uncared for, I guess I'd proabably go for the clean one.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Steve, you are quite correct when you say "we all know appearance don't mean anything", going back about 4 years we went to Devon for the first time and stayed at Dawlish Warren. We arrived on the Saturday and got set up. On the Sunday we went off site, and imagine our horror when we returned, a van had pitched next to us and you could not of got a worst van / mis fitting awning if you tried - Honestly. Anyway after a few "hello's" over the next couple of days we got chatting and they were very nice people. Yet on the other side of us was a really nice looking van and a family of four who we thought were ok!!! - Actually they were great and we still meet up with them when we can!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you go to some sites in Derbyshire for example you leave home with a clean van but after you pass the farm near to the site the van changes from white to brown at the front
Not nice as the smell matures if not cleaned off
I don't mind a bit of cleaning exercise on car or caravan and its much easier if it can be between showers as it soaks and then rinses
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Chris_Hyde_Cheshire. said:
I always wash it before I go away and when I come back. When I am away I dont bother unless I am away for a couple of weeks and I would probably just give it a quick wipe over.....

Ditto. Once on site I do what I go away for, either visit the area, relax and enjoy myself. I might wipe the front/windows over if they are dirty but that's about it. If the car gets dirty while away I might find an ARC carwash but I wouldn't want to take liberties of washing the van or car on site especially if the sites water supply is metered as it is in East Anglia.
In all honesty I haven't seen many people washing their vans off although at one site a motorhome owner spent ages washing/polishing his van and two days later he went through the same routine again. A bird must have crapped on it
smiley-surprised.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Our van gets washed and waxed once a year! That's it, it always rains when we head for the highways and if the windows or front get a little grubby they just get sponged off.
But we have seen and do see a fair number of caravanners who seem to be OCD with caravan and car care when on site. I've got my feet up when the steadies are down
smiley-cool.gif

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I always wash van before we go, and when we get back - however I do take bucket sponge and leather with us, we always seem to run thrugh a shower that liberally coats the front with a film of dirt.
I think it is a very personal thing - I hate having a dirty van or car, and I can certainly concur re The Peak District - was there two weeks ago, it was sunshine all the way and I thought great no cleaning, I then pulled in on a lay by about a mile from the CL (as we were running too early to arrive on site) - when we got to site I found the front of the van had huge lumps of black sticky mud (picked up in the lay by) thrown up to window height so one of my first jobs was with a bucket and sponge !

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l do mine with Auto Glym Shampoo before we go out in it which is on an average of twice a month, invariably need to wash the front when we get their, will also polish it twice year. When you have paid near 19k it needs to be looked after, the same treatment with the Shogun

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Polish mine from roof down with collinite wax, best on the market in my opinion only needs done once a year, then just regular washes with non detergent shampoo and its gleaming again also stops any signs of black marks appearing

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
You just wonder what some peoples homes are like if they only wash the caravan twice a year. How long does it take, a bucket and a car brush and 15 minutes if you do it reguar.
These dirty and green caravans are a poor example of our hoby and what better way to meet people than over a quick wash, come on you lazy lot, GET WASHING

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We clean our van when it needs it. No set rules, and it's maybe a couple of times a year. When away, it's rest time, designed to get away from the chores at home not spend time cleaning and pimping our van. We swill the front off on arrival if it's picked up a lot of muck, but don't actually clean it.

As for the comments about what people's houses must be like if the only clean their van twice per year - how offensive, how would you know, you've never been. We both work full time, and enjoy our precious leisure time vanning, but our house is still pristine, clean and tidy. Can think of better things to do with our time than constant cleaning the van!

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
JohnnyV said:
I always wash van before we go, and when we get back - however I do take bucket sponge and leather with us, we always seem to run thrugh a shower that liberally coats the front with a film of dirt.
I think it is a very personal thing - I hate having a dirty van or car, and I can certainly concur re The Peak District - was there two weeks ago, it was sunshine all the way and I thought great no cleaning, I then pulled in on a lay by about a mile from the CL (as we were running too early to arrive on site) - when we got to site I found the front of the van had huge lumps of black sticky mud (picked up in the lay by) thrown up to window height so one of my first jobs was with a bucket and sponge !
I'm going to make a soft lined front cover that fits to both side rails using straps, up to under the front windows that will prevent this, Terry.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
Our van gets washed and waxed once a year! That's it, it always rains when we head for the highways and if the windows or front get a little grubby they just get sponged off.
But we have seen and do see a fair number of caravanners who seem to be OCD with caravan and car care when on site. I've got my feet up when the steadies are down
smiley-cool.gif
That's us too - a good clean before we put the caravan under cover, otherwise just a quick wipe of mud/insects off the front! A wine glass in my hand is much more fun than a sponge and caravan cleaner!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Wayne_5133334 said:
what better way to meet people than over a quick wash, come on you lazy lot, GET WASHING

I've never regarded having to wash my van on site to get to meet people.
Have you ever thought those people could be pshycoanalysing you wondering why you are doing it instead of enjoying yourself by relaxing or visiting the local area?
smiley-undecided.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Wayne_5133334 said:
what better way to meet people than over a quick wash, come on you lazy lot, GET WASHING

Have you ever thought those people could be pshycoanalysing you wondering why you are doing it instead of enjoying yourself by relaxing or visiting the local area?
smiley-undecided.gif
My old teacher always said Cleanliness is Godliness
smiley-innocent.gif

I must be a dirty old dog
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Wayne_5133334 said:

Have you ever thought those people could be psychoanalysing you wondering why you are doing it instead of enjoying yourself by relaxing or visiting the local area?
smiley-undecided.gif

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not easily offended, like LB, I have a thick skin, but I did find Wayne's remark to be very offensive. The state of the outside of my van has no bearing whtsoever on my personal hygene, nor the state of my home. My van doesn't get washed very often because it gets USED! Twenty - odd weeks a year in the van, and generally around 5 - 6000 towed miles doesn't leave a lot of time for outer cleanliness. As has been said, Wayne, keep your offensive remarks to yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts