Over turned caravans

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 25, 2008
Visit site
The Clubs provide techincal advice on the web site, do you mean that the warden should tell people they (think) the outfit is incorrect/unsafe ??? Dodgy ground I feel.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Its your responsibility to check your caravan and your car are fit to tow, not any other third person.

As Gumbo states there is enough information on the webs sites for all to see.

If more is required the CC and C&CC do towing courses all over the country that cover all issue's on towing.

In any walk of life you will always find someone that disregards the rules, hopefully they will be caught before accidents occur.

NigelH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its your responsibility to check your caravan and your car are fit to tow, not any other third person.

As Gumbo states there is enough information on the webs sites for all to see.

If more is required the CC and C&CC do towing courses all over the country that cover all issue's on towing.

In any walk of life you will always find someone that disregards the rules, hopefully they will be caught before accidents occur.

NigelH
Accidents never happen! look into any so called accident, and eventually you will find someone who has not done what they should have done.

Maybe they didn't know what to do, or when to do it, but that does not diminish their responsibility in the situation.

That is why the police now say they are dealing with an incident rather than an accident.

failed to allow for the conditions that

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Does no-one think its a bit of a coincidence that the amount of overturned caravans occurring is also at a time when more and more people are taking up our hobby but without the experience of starting with a small outfit and gradually increasing the size over the years.We all know the caravan industry is booming look on any caravan dealers website and you'll see caravans that would normally wait for weeks or sometimes months to sell are selling like hotcakes.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure we have all seen mis-matched outfits on the roads during our travels and bben passed by some speeding outfits but this weekend I couldn't believe what I saw on the M6 northbound near Stafford.

We were in the inside lane on our way back from a lovely trip to Ironbridge. A car (BMW 5 series) passed us towing a Bailey Senator Louisiana. We were doing around 55 mph and the outfit passed us with considerable ease and quickly disapeared from view due to the excessive speed.

To my dismay and horror the BMW had a space saver wheeel on the rear of his car!!!!

Whilst I am no expert on space saver wheels, as my Mondeo has a full spare wheel, but surely they should be driven at no faster than 50 miles an hour, never mind towing a twin axle caravan.

Fortunately we did not come across an accident further along our travels but it just goes to show that there are some unbelievable outfits on our roads.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jo,

There are no factual figures available to us to know if there is an increase in the number of incidents involving caravans.

There is, I am sure, a seasonal variation, but I cannot tell if there are more this year compared to last, so I think it is a bit presumptuous to assume there are more.

Big S,

Unless the car or tyre manufacture actually tells you not to tow with a space saver, then it is presumably actually ok. However like you I would not be happy doing it. I would certainly be taking things slower and easier.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Working today heard the traffic news accident, cant remember where, lorries involved plus car, at the end of the information caravan jacknifed.

Who caused the accident caravan lorries or car, seems to me the news desk on radio 2 had already made their mind up by mentioning the caravan last.

Nigel H

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Ray I think alot of of bad management is to blame with some companies you'll always have winners and losers in a recession avondale went bust last year but they were crap had 6 caravans the one weve got now is an avondale and we'e had nothing but problems with it and it was our first new one.

http://www.kpcm.co.uk/cgi-bin/details.pl?v_vin=11663
I've gone to this dealers regularly over the years and this year its a case of if you want the van pu a deposit down quick or its gone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts