Over turned caravans

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Just heard yester day up to now their have been 3 accidents of over turned caravans since the start of the Bank Holiday, l think we should all take look at the way drive and be more alert.

Safe caravanning to all have good holiday as l am sure for those involved in the accidents it won't be, hope no one was seriously injured.

NigelH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst travelling solo today I came up behind a new Swift Challenger 570 (MTPLM of almost 1600Kg being towed by a smallish Citroen saloon. This must have been at least a 120% match. Is is any wonder there are accidents ?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
OK, so 120% is anything but a good match and probably it was illegal too, but it does not mean that an accident is inevitable if driving is adjusted to suit the conditions. Trouble is, these people don't appreciate that extra care is required as the weight ratio increases and one may have to reduce speed accordingly.

May 22, 2006
Visit site
Last year on our way back up the M5 we pulled into one of the services alongside a huge twin axle caravan pulled by a 53 plate Vauxhall Astra. He pulled out 5/10 minutes before us and we caught him up further up the motorway I had to slow down behind him till it was safe enough to overtake him, he was doing 42 mph and on the flat, van was reg plated the same as the car. This must have been a danger to other m/way users as well as being an unsafe outfit

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am sorry for those who have had an incident and probably lost a caravan and a holiday. And whilst I do not wish to be-little the trauma of such an event, the reality is that the vast majority of caravanners manage to tow their outfits without incident.

Over the same period where three incidents involving caravans have been reported, how many other vehicles have been involved but not reported?

The British media have a fascination with caravan related incidents, and it is noticeable that on a motoring report out you may get 'and a blockage caused by an over turned caravan', but very rarely is any other kind of vehicle specifically mentioned. As a result of this unfair exposure, an uninitiated listener would get a distinct impression that caravan incidents are happening all the time and are causing more than their fair share of grief to other road users.

The media pander to the apparent spectacular nature of most caravan incidents, where the content of the trailer is spread over a wide area.

Don't be frightened by such reports.

I did say the vast majority of caravanners manage quiet well, but unfortunately there are a minority that do silly things, such as trying to tow a grossly oversized and weighty caravan, of who do not understand the sensible approach to loading, but they are only the minority!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, accidents involving caravans tend to be dramatised by the media, perhaps because the result is often quite spectacular and make for a good story. On the other hand, injuries to occupants are comparatively rare in such incidents, so one must put the issue into proper perspective.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
its interesting how an incident with a caravan involved with say so yet a car overturned is just 'an incident'

In the last week I've travelled from my home in Wolverhampton to Dartford , Cheadle and Stretford and each journey has been disrupted by accidents , non involving caravans.

Two were overturned cars and one a car gone under a HGV trailer unit.

NO report stated Puegeot 307 over turned or Rover 25 stuck under lorry (well it looked like the remians of) etc etc.

There are countless accidents across out M-Way network every day often severe occassionally fatal yet reference to anyhting other than a HGV or Caravan is limited.

Media licence to sensationalise a minority group. I remember in the 90's that motorcycling really took off and as a result the actions of a few tarred (often unjustly) the many.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Truth is that to your average motorist they see touring caravans as curses on wheels. They look on them as obstacles to get past at all costs. I see this every time I am on the road with the caravan, despite most often not being the slowest vehicle on the road (I often end up overtaking tractors and even solo cars) as I drive at 50mph on single carriageways and 60 on the M-Way and Dual Carriageways where allowed.

This perception of caravans extends to the new services so they love to highlight the demise of a caravan and the problems caused by it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have been caravanning since 1969 and although we do not know everything about caravanning we think we have sufficient knowledge to make sure the outfit is safe when on the highway and drive according to conditions. However a few years ago we had an accident with a brand new van on the third outing. The wheel studs shattered and the wheel caused major damage to the side, roof and interior of the van and then bounced over a car behind us. Thankfully no one was injured in any way and the only physical damage was to the van. We were towing with the Fourtrack and it remained steady at all times on the road. The van was a total write off.

Although many accidents are caused by ignorance by the driver, etc. not all accidents involving caravans can be classed. we now have the yellow markers on the studs and have the torque setting checked by a local garage before setting off on a long journey.

tj1

Aug 23, 2008
Visit site
going back to the first posting doesn,t the bank hols bring the most miss matched outfit,s and the worst drivers out, i shake my head in dis-belief at most of them . true some accidents are not caused by these but most of them are tj

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi all

i would say that most accidents that involve caravans are people who have not much idea what they are doing and with the credit crunch they are thinking that buying a caravan is a cheap way of having a holiday,maybe thats why you are now hearing of more caravan accidents.

and as NGH says be alert

the uk needs more lerts

hgv dave

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd agree some accidents are caused by inexperienced caravanners, but I bet a lot more are cause by other inconsiderate drivers who don't actually get involved in the aftermath of their stupid or thoughtless actions and have caused the outfit to swerve or brake violently to avoid them. "never had an accident but could have seen a few in their rearview mirror if they'd used it"

My favourite is the one who creeps up the motorway slip road, either right to the end or just pulls out right in front at about 40mph and then won't accelerate even though you've slowed down to let him out. Common sense dictates that you should at least get somewhere near the speed of the traffic that you are joining and that includes when overtaking or changing lanes, use the mirrors and ACCELERATE.

The others causing problems are those who've got to beat the van at all costs at junctions, roundabouts etc, The trouble being that while you are watching both mirrors and the road ahead, some ****** will try and snick in front in the blind spot again causing the outfit the brake heavily and swerve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In reply to tj,

Being a bit pedantic here, but I do not have the figures but i'll bet the numbers of incidents that involve a caravan are very small compared to the general number of incidents even at bank holidays.

Part of the problem is that the media love to hate caravans and will report caravan incidents in preference to others, giving a very distorted view of the numbers involved.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I will always remember my wife's comment while passing some incident on the M1 while towing (on the opposite carriageway).

"What's that" it was of cause a caravan on its side, the underside was the view we had, i must admit it didn't look like a caravan, but the entire scene was one of carnage, all three lanes were covered in debris, and strangely the car was still attached, both car and van were facing towards the oncoming traffic!

That was the first of two incidents on our outbound touring holiday!

The second wasn't a dramatic, the tow car was simply of the motorway in a field, while the caravan had conveniently thrown its self onto the hard shoulder.

Personally i don't think the media exaggerate any caravan accident, when all three lanes are stood, then no matter what the cause, surly that must qualify as a MAJOR incident?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ray,

When a whole major road is blocked, then yes it constitutes a major incident, but often the report will harp on the fact that it is a caravan, yet when the same road is blocked by a lorry behaving badly if it is reported it usually just says its 'blocked'.

But it is worse than that, sometimes we will get a report of a caravan having broken down, but how many other vehicles break down daily and cause obstructions yet they don't get a mention.

It seems that as soon as a caravan is involved, it becomes fairgame to have it sensationalised and broadcast around the country.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Passed a very large caravan being towed by a medium sized family saloon heading down the motorway before lunch. Sparkling new number plate and GB plates so they might be heading for a ferry.

The outfit slowed considerably on a uphill run and then sped up to around sixty just as I was passing and it then started to snake. Nose high car and sagging rear and with the caravan at a well nose down angle.

After a service stop a few miles on I rejoined the Motorway and passed the same outfit that was following another outfit that I'd also seen before. As they were so close together I think they are travelling together and the smaller engined car had been trying to catch up and make up for the time lost on the hills.

Are some accidents caused by people trying to press on to hard for the car they are towing with I wonder at times.

When Road tax and insurance reminders are sent out it would be a good idea to enclose some guidance re current road safety and towing laws and guidance. Far to may outfits look wrong or badly loaded, some general public service advice could keep people up to speed with what not to do when towing and driving.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I hate this "scare mongering" by the media.

A penny to a pound none of the accident victims belong to the "Clubs" nor subscibe to the mags or forums.

Like SS I saw similar idiots last sunday on the M5 with this get home itis.

If the truth be known weights , safe loading etc never crossed the victims mind. 10 to 1 the tyres were well passed their sell by date and were probably grossly underinflated.

There again all those car accidents no one mentions probably arise through similar neglect.

I wonder what the Insurers think of all this and how many of them will refuse the claim on the grounds of lack of due diligence??

Cheers

Dustydog

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
We were coming home on the M5 at the weekend after a week away in Somerset.

Being new to caravanning, we have really done our homework and have read up on just about every piece of techinical advice that the caravan club has to offer. We would like to think that our caravan has been loaded properly, our tow car is adequate to tow our caravan and we have everything spot on.

I really could not believe just how erratic some of these drivers towing caravans are. We were overtaken in the fast lane by a driver towing his caravan and he must had been doing at least 70mph. There were caravans, that were so nose down they actually looked ridiculous. It was a real eye opener, and quite an unnerving one at that.

"Welcome back Dustydog" ;-)

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Thankfully there's enough of us on this forum and others that have taken the time to look into the hobby and made every effort to make sure they are legal and safe.

Before we had the caravan we had a motorhome , a friend was really envious of us getting out and about at every oppertunity and kept commenting he'd love a MH.

Next we know they'd bought a caravan of fleabay for

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
We know of a couple who let there student son tow their caravan to France. He took five friends with bikes, windsurfers, wet suits and skate boarding gear for the six of them and returned with loads of beer and wine as well.

At 22 years old they had no idea that the lad was not licensed to tow or that the van must have been well overloaded. The youngsters got there and back fine, if it had not been for our friends putting them straight they would have let them go again this summer.

It sounds bad, but at least the youngster knew about nose weight and had a capable tow car despite the loads.

And we've seen worse, a 'keep legal' information sheet to all drivers via insurers and Road Tax and to all Driving License holders. Reminders that had to be read and then returned to DVLA would keep nearly all road users up to speed. A bit like a sorn operation, declare the vehicles and combinations you drive and that you have read and know the legal requirements for them on the public highway.

Informative and a reminder to us all of what is sensible and legal on the road.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

So you are cruising down the M4 when you see a Jaguar + caravan parked on the grass ...... facing the wrong way. How can something like that happen?

Was the rig badly loaded, and suddenly went "unstable"?

Or did the driver do something silly? Such as driving too fast, or performing a rapid change of lane?

Or did somebody carve him up, and the driver was blameless?

Is there anybody here who has experienced such an incident from the "inside"?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
pre caravaning i was "anti caravans", but now I am about to be one I pass caravans and slow down to have a look at their "rig" and marvel at the skill thats involved, with the current credit crunch i think we will see more caravans on the road.......

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
If you go away any week end of the year to either a CC or a CCC site you will see several badly loaded or un-suitable outfits. The car is to small for the caravan etc. Is it not time that he clubs started to advise people as they arrived on site or at least hand out leaflets explaning the dangers of towing with an un safe set up. After all we all have a duty of care and the cubs are supportingus and taking money off us. This would certainly help to take unsafe or dangerous outfits off the roads. Come CC and CCC start to help your members and advise them when they arrive/leave site you have a morale duty if nothing else especially as you take our money.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
there was an accident with a caravan on the M4 at Swansea in south Wales this very afternoon , it was on a lowloader with one side smashed in ,and the wheel was flat under the van , looked like it had collapsed underneath , the road was badly gouged out , the towcar was a Volvo estate , the car was undamaged , the worst part was seeing the kids bikes on the tow truck , we followed the tow truck and car up to Junction 47 , we were also towing our caravan as we drew alongside them , i hope they are all OK

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts