Overall Costs For Starting Caravanning and Hidden Costs

Apr 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi, this is my first post....please be gentle.

Iam probably going to take the plunge and purchase our first caravan, and Iam totally bemusedby whats on offer. Ideally as there are four of us a four berth would be a good start point obviously, but where from here.

What advice do you have for a beginer to 'try the water' any advice on what units to consider, and yes money is a problem, probably looking around the 3 to 3.5k, and would like a casette loo and shower, not asking much am I !!!

Also its all well and good having the van, but what are the running costs regarding storage, insurance and any other hidden ones you can think of over and above purchase and site fees etc.

I would imagine the above has been asked many a time so I apologise if you have read many, if you know of a website or the location of posts on the forum it would be a great help.

Any advice big or small to assist would be a great help, oh and does anyone know of any storage areas in Bucks.

Thanks again,

Richard

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard,

Good questions and much better to ask now rather than regret later.

Probably the first issues are: what car do you have? and do you have a B+E driving licence or a B licence (this places restrictions on what you can tow)?

The make and type of car is not that important - but the "KERB-WEIGHT", "MAXIMUM BRAKED TRAILER WEIGHT" and "GROSS TRAIN WEIGHT" (car handbook) are crucial in any choices you make - and have legal implications too if you exceed the later two values

Basically when choosing a caravan, the most important is the kerb-weight - make a note of the kerb-weight, multiply by 0.85, and this is the maximum recommended (guideline) weight for your new caravan (and it's the maximum weight of the caravan - not the empty caravan)

Keep this guideline weight handy - it will help you make an informed choice when walking around showrooms - don't rely on the salesman. You can also do a rough check for compatibility with web-sites like www.whattowcar.com

The good news is that older caravans are usually much lighter than new caravans (fewer built in appliances), and some makes are lighter than others for a comparable design.

Damp - The caravan killer - you need to make sure that any caravan you think of buying is dry, and doesn't leak - musty smells are an instant warning - look for signs of water ingress like discolouration or bubbles in the interior wall covering.

Unless you like DIY and have a lot of spare time, don't buy a damp van.

Insurance - expect to pay around

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Richard,

the only problem is the question you've asked.

firstly it would depend on what, if any, "accessories" come with the second hand van, if none then..............

Gas bottle about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Richard,

I agree with all the above, but I would like to add that if you have a friend who caravans, then they would probably welcome the chance to offer advice and support whilst choosing your van.

Clearly from your budget figure you are looking at second hand, and that makes sense, If you have confidence in your friend or your own abilities to spot a 'good one', then buying privately can be attractive, as if you ultimately find that caravanning is not for you, you are likely to get more of your purchase price back if you also sell privately.

Dealers of course have to make a profit, and pay the taxman 17.5% VAT so they are bound to be more expensive to purchase from, and will offer you less if you try to sell back.

Have fun.

Apr 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi again,

Many, many thanks for the constructive advice. In just three posts I have gotten more advice and information than I have been able to get anywhere.

I drive a 52 plate Citroen Picasso 1.8 SX and from what I've heard should be fine for towing but from the posts thats not the end of it, nose weights, brakes etc.

Thanks again, and Im sure I'll be back with plenty more questions. Any ideas regarding storage in Bucks, if anyone knows of one, plaese let me know.

Thanks to you all again.

Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Richard, You do get sound advice on this forum. All I would add is that we bought a new van with a shower facility 5 years ago and have never used it. The standard of CC sites toilet blocks really are great. You might want to consider that when you choose. In any event go for it, life doesn't get much better than being with family and friends on a caravan site. So relaxing. Best wishes, George T.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's all been good advice so far Richard, nothing beats experience.

But, you asking the question gives me an idea (they are rare and as such need making a note of)that might help in the future.

The question, as you have asked, has been asked many times before. Sometimes it gets a good airing like yours, sometimes only a few manage to contribute. So, how about having somewhere on the forum, we can direct people to for, "often asked questions"? This is more directed to the mods and I know the difficulties involved, but how about a technical reference center where common questions can be answered quickly?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lol.

I like the idea though I can see some pitfalls,

The main one is who will be allowed to provide the answers? As I have pointed out recently on another thread to the dismay of another contributor, we do not know if what is written is fact or fiction, because we have no traceable route to the contributor. We do not know if they have the experience or more importantly the competence to offer good advice.

We have seen (and I have been involved myself) that there can be disagreements about a particular issue. Such dichotomy would not help a genuine enquirer, and how would PC stand if the wrong advice is given and something goes wrong?

It is unlikely to happen on a sponsored site like this one, unless it was written by the staff of PC.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I could see the same pitfalls too John. You could be right in saying that someone from the magazine should list the nuggets of advice given. That doesn't mean that we can't contribute to it though. One idea would be for a common question to be asked, then we get the input from members. Someone, on staff could then collate the answers giving priority to anything that is common to everyone. A general purpose answer you could say, it being none specific.

This is then posted and we can direct anyone to that part of the site. If a member has a particular question, then that could be answered in the normal way.

I'm just trying to stop the variation of contributions each time a question is asked with a multi answer question.

Apr 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Richard

Welcome... you have some very good advice as i have read it

we are fairly new to caravaning life and only got out this month been out with our baby which is a Abi Monza 5000ct not a very new one but to be fair there is only the 2 of us and it suited all our needs.

see there are four of you i would say go for a six berth if can afford it as there is plenty of room inside for those colder evenings

for what it's worth my advice would be to start looking around now. ebay is a very good base to start for your first time

we got a good bargin with ours we had everything to just drive away and had a play i am not sure where my very first posting is i think in the hello page have a look i tell you want we hasd such a laff setting ours up for the very first time

we brought it in the morning and had already booked a site local to where we had picked up from so if there was any problems we were not very far away

the ppl on the campsite were very very help i must say

so start looking around for price you can afford i must admit the first trips a more expensive as you will have to get insurance, storage if you need and any other bits

dont forget the thing like all your homely things towels etc........

Best of Luck in your Buy and Happy Caravaning look forward to hearing how you have got on

Bev N Tez

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
If you have never caravanned before you can make some big mistakes in choosing a van.Although expensive in as much as it's money "gone", try renting a van before you buy. You can work out what you like and don't like about the layout, the practicalities of toilets, showers,fixed beds towing etc.

It's suprising how many people realise that they will not get that much use out of an expensive investment or have simply made the wrong choice when they purchased.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
A few notes to help you;

1. buy from a reputable dealer probably one who is franchised to a a manufacturer. You will not then be sold a pig in a poke. (I bought my first from a dealer who was not franchised and it cost me dear.)

2. Join one of the clubs and try their insurance. Also NFU have a good name. Beware of cheapy insurance - you get what you pay for. (Both clubs offer quotes.)

3. Unless you have a real need don't use expensive sites. The small CLs and CSs will cost you about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A few notes to help you;

1. buy from a reputable dealer probably one who is franchised to a a manufacturer. You will not then be sold a pig in a poke. (I bought my first from a dealer who was not franchised and it cost me dear.)

2. Join one of the clubs and try their insurance. Also NFU have a good name. Beware of cheapy insurance - you get what you pay for. (Both clubs offer quotes.)

3. Unless you have a real need don't use expensive sites. The small CLs and CSs will cost you about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts