Overnight in Cherbourg

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
I will be arriving in Cherbourg on the afternoon ferry from Poole in August that gets in at about 6 p.m. France time. Can anyone advise of a simple overnight stop before we make the long drive down to Claremont Ferrant? Is their a service area just south of Cherbourg or near Caen that is recommended or must we use a sight? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stephen, I've used this service and route many times over the years. I usually make for the camping Municipal at Falaise which is well sign posted from the bypass on the N 158. It is possible to make it in under 2 hours, the gates close at 2030 or there abouts.

If you do not want to start your journey south until the morning there is a good safe overnight parking at Cherbourg port just before the access / exit. On any summer evening there are scores of caravans over nighting waiting for the early morning ferry. There are no "service areas" that I could recommend as I am usually not hanging about at this stage of my journey, but in any case there are loads of cheap sites near the N13 between Cherbourg and Caen. Try entering "Le Manche campsites" into a search engine and you will be spoilt for choice. Ray

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Stephen, There is another possibility, fitting neatly between the other 2 mentioned, it is the Municipal site at Bayeux. Be careful not to be too late arriving at the Falaise site, it is a lovely site, but the warden when we were there 3 yrs ago, had the gates closed early and wasnt very happy, but let us in when I pointed out the time!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stephen, there is Camping Le Grand Large at Les Pieux which is 13 miles from Cherbourg. If you arrive late there are pitches outside the gated area for late arrivals and early departures.

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Thank you one and all for all your help. I think the drive down to Falaise is a bit risky time-wise unless the ferry is early! So, I think the Camping Le Grand Large at Les Pieux will be our choice. Thank you all for your help. Stephen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts